Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

An Inconvenient Truth

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 09:30 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: worthywads - Stop The Disruption

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
worthywads, you have painstakingly searched for flame-bait from a variety of members on this thread, trying to provoke a response, typically popping in this thread only very late in the evening. Your recent responses in this thread have this predictable pattern of inciting an arguement at any cost indefinitely. I may have witnessed it in other threads as well.

I am kind of curious as to what brought you to GH six months ago. All three of your vehicles get under 28mpg and none of them are hybrid. Your passion seems to be what you are doing on this thread rather than discussing clean or fuel-efficient vehicles. Endless arguements are not what the rest of us are here for...
My original Gore criticsm post did spur a few responses that I followed up on. Sorry if it's only late at night or early in the morning. I've been working hard installing a new bottling line at the brewery that I work at. What you call inciting I call challenging

I'll go back to my first post.

Originally Posted by worthywads
test

Hello, I'm a non-hybrid owner that's been lurking mostly in the general and mpg areas.

I have a 2005 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L 4x2 5-speed that I'm happy to say has been giving me great FE. I use a scanguage and have consistently beaten the EPA 21/27. Worst tank has been 25.5 mpg attributed to cold weather, and best tank has been 29.5.

I'm in Colorado and had to trade trucks from another region as neither 4x2 or 2.7L are available in this Toyota region. Glad I went to the trouble.

I'll be bringing a Libertarian slant to this mix, I didn't need a tax break to choose the 2.7L over the 4L.

Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong, I'd like to post my MPG data in my signature, but I'm getting only the text line.

Thanks
I'm even more happy to say I got 31.3mpg on my last tank. With an estimated 40/60 city/highway and epa of 21/27 averaging 24.6 my 31.3 is 27% better than EPA. I'm a fuel economy geek that would love a hybrid option from a pickup, and I'm considering lowering mine 3 inches on a quest for better FE. My wife drives the Element and doesn't care about gas mileage. The log shows some tanks in the 28-30 range when I get a chance to drive.

I like the hybrid technology, and this site is an easy source for what's new, and real world results, not the mass media spin, though I am humored by the defensiveness found here. I have to defend buying a 2wd truck that I'm happy to drive with passenger tires instead of a lift kit and 33s.

I must come across as more confrontational than I think, but I do like to challenge other's opinions, but I don't think I ever raise my voice. While scrolling through my old posts looking for flame baiting I did find another post of your's related to Antarctic Warming where my response was similar to the polar bear article, the time frame given ignores the temperatures of the 30-40s to make conclusions that don't make sense to me. I can't understand why you take offense to me challenging an article you posted? You posted it as though it was the absolute proof of something that I just don't see reading the same article. OMG I'm thinking like Bill O'Reilly "Tell me where I'm wrong"

I may have gone overboard with someone who was for population control, and did receive a PM from a moderator on that one, I'm not proud, but do find the idea of forced population control extremely repugnant.

Peace

Old 06-15-2006, 10:07 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: An Inconvenient Truth

Originally Posted by worthywads
I've seen the CEI "we call it life" ads and find it just as stupid as you.
Originally Posted by Pravus Prime
Some part of stay civil that people find hard to understand?
I don't know how you read that. There was an unwritten "you do" in the sentence, as in, "... as stupid as you do." Should we self-censor and say "silly" or "wrong-headed" or...?

Just curious.

Old 06-16-2006, 05:10 AM
Banned
Default The Best Thing

Myself and many others go quiet in situations like this to reduce the tension and annoyment. Some might have agreed on some points except this thread has become too confrontational, even insultive - again time for a rest and healing.

Anybody can find discrepancies or something to nitpick forever.

The best and probably only way to show your good will, worthwads is leave this thread alone the next evening - do something else.

The adage of the moment is "Silence is Golden".

Old 06-16-2006, 06:06 AM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: The Best Thing

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
Myself and many others go quiet in situations like this to reduce the tension and annoyment. Some might have agreed on some points except this thread has become too confrontational, even insultive - again time for a rest and healing.
Now, I believe the topic of this thread is worth a few minutes of silent thought as well.
For those of us who believe that taking the warnings concerning Global Warming is, at its worst, erring on the side of safety - where do we go from here?
How many of us actually feel like adding a little more to the momentum and maybe even starting something positive.

Is owning a FE Hybrid (or clean Diesel) vehicle any more than a selfish attempt at looking morally superior? Quite often I try to convince myself that I am doing more than "most people", but deep down and privately, I can't help to feel that I've taken an easy road towards a compromise of some sort.

Anyhow, are there any groups, movements and/or initiatives bent on building a community of individuals that will help "evangilize" the long term benefits of Fuel economy?

In my view, it would be a shame to have this issue fade into obscurity as many things do with time. As it is clearly evident, there are a few folks who choose to resist the notion of GW or even the possibility of it. I believe that in light of the potential risks, we need to do better and not just sound smart and eloquent in special interest forums?

Do I make any sense? If I don't, then pardon the interruption and let's go back to the silence.

Regards;

MS

Old 06-16-2006, 09:52 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Originally Posted by GeekGal
I don't know how you read that. There was an unwritten "you do" in the sentence, as in, "... as stupid as you do." Should we self-censor and say "silly" or "wrong-headed" or...?

Just curious.

The unwritten should always be written in debates on internet message boards, especially when ambiguity allows for a completely different interpretation.

The statement was viewed as in, "you and the commercials are equally stupid.", personal insults are not tolerated here, and the moderators here recieved complaints about the post, so clearly others interpreted the same way I did. It's not that he said stupid, but that it was taken as an insult to another user.

Now, that said, we've gone 7 pages. At this point, the discussion has drifted rather widely off topic. If the discussion doesn't return to the topic, this thread may be closed.

Old 06-16-2006, 10:16 PM

Alright then, back on topic here's what Ron Bailey thinks, Science Correspondent for Reason magazine, a non-partisan magazine promoting liberty and individual choice.

http://www.reason.com/rb/rb061606.shtml

If you read the article click on the red highlighted phrases for further information.

I plan to see the movie this sunday.

Old 06-16-2006, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Pravus Prime
The unwritten should always be written in debates on internet message boards, especially when ambiguity allows for a completely different interpretation.

The statement was viewed as in, "you and the commercials are equally stupid.", personal insults are not tolerated here, and the moderators here recieved complaints about the post, so clearly others interpreted the same way I did. It's not that he said stupid, but that it was taken as an insult to another user.
The corollary, of course, is that due to the nature of computer-mediated communication, one should assume nothing and err on the side of the other poster when in doubt. Even from multiple re-readings, I don't get the sense he ever intended it as a slight against anyone... it was just poor grammar, which we've all been (and will be again) guilty of before.

I ran a hobbiest Bulletin Board System for 5 years back in the late 80's. This is nothing new. Like driving, assume someone isn't out to get you unless they prove otherwise, in which case it's time to go to neutral corners and get patched up and move on.

Old 06-17-2006, 05:25 AM

that's why smilies were invented- to convey unwritten context that cannot be duplicated in text without explicit (and time consuming) description.

Of course, if we were less cynical as a culture we wouldn't be having this side-thread at all. But that's another thread for another board.

Old 06-17-2006, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by gonavy
that's why smilies were invented- to convey unwritten context that cannot be duplicated in text without explicit (and time consuming) description.

Of course, if we were less cynical as a culture we wouldn't be having this side-thread at all. But that's another thread for another board.
Smileys don't always work, and that's been the case since they were just ASCII characters on-screen:

Code:
:) :D :-) ;-) :-| P:) *-)
Thus, my original comment about erring on the side of other humans is key, emoticons/smileys or no.

(That last smiley is a cyclops... long before Monsters, Inc. )

Old 06-17-2006, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by GeekGal
Smileys don't always work, and that's been the case since they were just ASCII characters on-screen:

Code:
:) :D :-) ;-) :-| P:) *-)
Thus, my original comment about erring on the side of other humans is key, emoticons/smileys or no.

(That last smiley is a cyclops... long before Monsters, Inc. )
What's
Code:
P:)
A rapper with her hat to one side?

Quick Reply: An Inconvenient Truth

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands