Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Lexus 600h

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 08:19 PM
Engineering first
Talking Lexus 600h

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...i-bizfront-hed

. . .
HOW MUCH? Lexus has priced the gas/electric 600h version of its LS sedan at $104,000, or $33,000 more than the $71,000 gas-powered LS. Lexus says the V-8 and battery pack in the hybrid, which goes on sale in June, will develop more than 430 horsepower, but no word on mileage.

"Even at $3 a gallon it will take a long time to recover the cost of the hybrid premium, a very long time," noted Art Spinella, general manager of CNW Marketing Research.
If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it, Art.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!

Talk about someone who has really missed the boat.

Bob Wilson

Old 04-12-2007, 10:35 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Lexus 600h

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...i-bizfront-hed

If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it, Art.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!

Talk about someone who has really missed the boat.

Bob Wilson
I think this time even Spinelli can get the math right.

Will status symbol land buy it?

Old 04-13-2007, 05:51 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by worthywads
I think this time even Spinelli can get the math right.

Will status symbol land buy it?
Nope, the 0-60 'land' will buy it. Instant torque, that is the hidden secret that Art and his buddy, Mateja, missed. The 600h is the closest thing to a hybrid pony car around and both of them totally missed it. But it does, once again, give a clue to the hybrid skeptic, mind-set.

As far as they are concerned, if gas doesn't turn the wheels, it isn't real. They honestly can't see anything but an ICE turning the tires. They've totally missed the point:
. . .
The Lexus Hybrid Drive system found in the LS 600h L is the automotive industry's most advanced gas-electric hybrid system developed to date. The hybrid system results in seamless power and very impressive passing speed. It will deliver power and performance on a par with modern 12-cylinder engines, while still delivering best-in-V8-class fuel efficiency.

The LS hybrid is expected to carry a Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle (SULEV) rating. A SULEV rating means the LS 600h L has nearly 70 percent fewer emissions than the "cleanest" of its competitors.

"It is fair to say that to our knowledge there is nothing on the road, or on the drawing board, that comes close to delivering such a formerly contradictory combination of jaw-dropping engine performance, fuel efficiency and fewer emissions," Carter said.

Owing to the inherent noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) improvements offered by its hybrid powertrain, the LS 600h L is designed to set a new standard for silent running in the prestige-luxury sedan class. The depth and density of cabin quietness in the LS 600h L required extensive re-engineering of accessory motors and switches.

With "quiet-ride" ranking as one of the top five reasons for purchase of prestige-luxury vehicles, especially among current LS owners, the LS 600h L is well-situated in its class and poised to please the exacting luxury-car buyer. Its NVH levels are about half that found in conventional cars, making the hybrid LS one of the quietest automobiles ever built, if not the quietest.
. . .

http://digiads.com.au/car-news/lates...id_200703.html
If I could afford it, I'd have an 600h in an instant and trade-up to the one that follows it. Then I'd go 'pony car' hunting. It also gives lie to the claim that the Toyota PSD approach is power limited.

Toyota has put together an amazing transaxle that uses asymmetrical motor-generators to carry power from the ICE to the wheels with very little 'fluff.' It has very few parts yet does an amazing job in a small package. So it is no surprise that fossil fueled minds can't understand it.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 04-13-2007 at 06:00 AM.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:50 AM
Active Enthusiast

It is to compete with the 12 cylinder models from BMW, Audi and Mercedes-Benz. I think that the germans offer more power. I know that the Audi offers 450 hp, and the MB a good bit more.

It will be interesting to see if the Lexus does well.