Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Nice Nissan review

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 06:56 AM
Engineering first
Default Nice Nissan review

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/23/au...es&oref=slogin

. . .
The Altima Hybrid shouldn’t be much different from the Toyota Camry Hybrid, because they share the same basic hybrid-drive system. Nissan did not invent its own system, instead buying a short-term license to use Toyota’s Hybrid Synergy Drive on the Altima.

Saying something drives like a Toyota doesn’t sound much like a compliment — more like an invitation to fall asleep at the wheel. Toyota is more conservative with the settings of its hybrid systems than the choices on the early-bird menu at a Florida cafeteria: bland, consistent, safe.

Nissan, however, decided to add a pinch of hot pepper to the recipe. The result is a spicier casserole: I found that the batteries can power the car up to about 40 m.p.h.; the Nissan gasoline engine has a bit more firepower, yet the fuel economy is a smidge better, not worse. It beats the Camry Hybrid at its own game; as hybrids go, it is just a step behind the Prius and the Honda Civic Hybrid. (The Altima also qualifies for a federal tax credit of about $2,400, while under the arcane sales-based rules the Camry does not.)

. . .
Sounds like a nice ride!

Bob Wilson

Old 03-22-2008, 01:04 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Nice Nissan review

Not to mention that the NAH has a very well shaped boot (trunk). It's ~ the same size as the TCH but it's more squared off so larger square stuff can fit rather than long and narrow stuff in the TCH.

The only problem is that the rear seats don't fold unlike the TCH which has folding rear seats.

Old 03-22-2008, 04:37 PM

Too bad you can only get it in a few state, I suspect Nissan is doing this so they can say see no one wants a hybrid, we made one but didnt sell any..

Old 03-23-2008, 11:35 AM

Yep.

Even here in Canada, I've only seen one on the road. Plus, there are NONE on the dealers' lot. They treat it as if it doesn't exist. They'll gladly leave a 3.5SE on the showroom floor.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yeah, they are pretty scarce. I think I've only seen one (other than my own) in the past 6 months.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:54 PM
Part Time Hybrids

I assumed because of the batteries being under patent Nissan can't obtain enough to mass production?

Old 04-01-2008, 09:46 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I test drove a NAH here in Ottawa, while I was hybrid hunting. I was fairly unimpressed with it, from fit and finish, to performance. The transition from gas to electric and back was rough and noisy. The dealer let me try another one on the lot, in case this was a problem with that specific car, but it produced exactly the same results. I ultimately went with the TCH. It is in my personal opinion dramatically superior than the NAH in almost every respect. I don't regret my decision a bit.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:01 AM
Old Boomer Techie

I think they are incorrect regarding the fuel thing. My TCH has consistently performed above EPA numbers and on the several occasions where I have had the chance to compare FE, I have done better than the NAH.