Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Nissan's hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 10:48 PM
Engineering first
Default Nissan's hybrid

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...612300301/1149

. . .
Overall, the hybrid's performance should be roughly on par with theAltima four-banger. Those who desire more boot-scoot may be interested in the 3.5-liter, 270-hp Altima SE.

As for fuel economy, the hybrid's official numbers are 41 city, 36 highway -- or about 25 percent better than the four-cylinder Altima (26/34 mpg).

While pricing won't be announced until late January, close to the time the vehicle goes on sale, the base Altima hybrid should come in around $25,500. (Because it's a loss-leader proposition anyway, it's only a matter of how much the company wants to eat on each unit.) A car like our all-in tester -- with navigation, rearview camera, leather and wood, satellite radio with Bose sound system and a slew of other conveniences and amenities -- would likely run about $32,000.

Currently, the federal tax credit on the Altima hybrid is $2,350, according to Nissan. . . .
Bob Wilson

Old 01-07-2007, 02:37 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast
Default Re: Nissan's hybrid

You have to like these quotes:
"Bookmark this moment in the history of cars, because what is emerging is something like consensus.

Hybrid doubters -- who once railed that the batteries were sketchy, the costs of the "hybrid premium'' unrecoverable, the mileage gains overstated, and so on -- are beginning to look like the Flat Earth Society."

Nice to hear that kind of talk. This car has my interest big time. I'm really turning my eye to something more comfortable to spend 2 hrs a day in, but I don't want to give up my 45 mpg. Hope these are out soon!