Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Prius & Solar Panels

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 06:08 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Prius & Solar Panels

fordreflexdashlongview.jpg?t=1215910887
fordreflexdash.jpg?t=1215910922
fordreflexfrontside.jpg?t=1215910951
fordreflextop.jpg?t=1215910983
fordreflexitems.jpg?t=1215911007

1.4L diesel electric hybrid with 65mpg rating. AWD version with the electric motor tied to the rear wheels. 6 Speed transmission. Solar panels tied to headlights to power them.
Makes me wonder why bother if few details carry over to production.

Old 07-12-2008, 07:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

Ford, Chevy and Chrysler all screwed up. I'd throw in a number of metric cars too, but at least they jumped on the hybrid /high mpg bandwagon a few years ago. Ford at least went ahead with and stayed with the Excape though they could have refined it a bit more like the solar a/c. Instead of letting technology dictate change they allowed gas prices to dictate technology. Does it really matter if gas was $2.00 or $10.00 if we have the ability to build a car that gets 50mpg or better...we do it because we can.

Hell, I have a computer that can run a mid to large size business and its a lap top. I have a cell phone that can do more and store more than my desktop computer from 10 years ago (if I still had it) . Do I need any of it? NO! Why do we have it? Because we can! If this is how we develop computer technology, why are the automakers not developing cars the same way?

I just got another phone call from my Ford Dealer. Trying to sell me an Excape Hybrid again. I tried to buy one back in May and they could only sell them on special order. None available for test drives. As you can see I bought the NAH, but both the NAH and TPH were available for test drives. Chevy, Ford, Saturn, Lexus. Not one of those dealers had a Hybrid available either.

If you are interested, The Solar Roof panels are available as a retro fit for all hybrids. Now I just need to find an aftermarket electric battery cooler.

Old 07-12-2008, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by SLP24

Now I just need to find an aftermarket electric battery cooler.

The Ford and Mercury Hybrids have had OEM hybrid battery heater and cooling system from day 1.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:30 AM

It looks like the Ford Reflex design is somewhat present in the new Ford Fiesta that is rated at 62.5mpg for Europe. Of course, the American version will be rated less for mileage due to the different EPA testing methods.

Last edited by Billyk; 07-13-2008 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:41 PM
Active Enthusiast

Here is another interesting site: I say that every Hybrid should be topped with solar panels. Why not? Can't hurt and can help a lot.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007..._hybrid_ca.php

Good golly, those things are hideous...

It would be nice if one of those panels could produce enough juice to keep the HV battery cool. I just got a pass for our garage at work based on the temperature penalty on the hybrid battery. It takes about 10 minutes to get the battery cooled down enough to be fully functional.

If (and this would be a big if) they can make those things look good, I might be inclined to install one.

They could flush mount one on my trunk behind the spoiler and it might look okay.

As they are now though, they are too U G L Y !

Old 07-15-2008, 10:02 AM

Does it really matter if gas was $2.00 or $10.00 if we have the ability to build a car that gets 50mpg or better...we do it because we can.
Ultimately all businesses do it because someone will BUY IT or the go out of business. The demand was for HUMMERS, Tahoes, Expeditions, and Highlanders.... so they built them. If PEOPLE gave a crap about the environment and more than just themselves they they would have cared about MPG LONG BEFORE gas prices got high. They don't.

Now that they are paying through the nose its all the car companies fault for not building cars that have high MPG that they wouldn't buy 2 years ago. Ulitmately it takes time to switch production over for these companies.... Even TOYOTA took a hit because their mix was too top heavy. Tragically they could all use a little foresight to see what was coming and at least have something planned but they didn't. Even moving a small car over from Europe to the US has issues with different emissions and sourcing all the parts....

Old 07-22-2008, 05:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

I found one that really looks good.

http://www.fiskerautomotive.com/incl...=620&width=800

That's how you make a good looking solar roof panel.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

Roof Panel? THATS HOW YOU MAKE A GREAT LOOKING CAR and its a hybrid! 80km (50 miles) just on battery! No Tranny (that gets rid of a lot of weight) Solar Power and Plug in. Except for the $80k to buy one...This is a GREAT CAR! Wonder if Jay Leno already put in his order. I'd hardly ever use the ICE in this car.

New Problem...Gas going bad in the tank because we are not using it.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

How's this for a product idea?

http://www.solar-world.com/PowerFilm.htm

Stitch some of those bad boys together into a cool car cover. Toss it over your car in the morning when you arrive at work. In the evening you will have a vehicle with completely charged batteries.

It's also possible the car may burst into flames or the whole thing melt into a black plasticky mess, but I think we could avoid that at least 93% of the time.