Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Stimulus Big Winner: Battery Manufacturing

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 05:36 PM
Outcast Enthusiast
Default Re: Stimulus Big Winner: Battery Manufacturing

Originally Posted by Billyk
Johnson Controls Inc. is based in Glendale, Wisconsin--where I lived as a small boy-and it is not own by the French company Saft. Johnson Controls Inc.
There is no evidence the Federal Government Stimulus is being used to pay for JCI solar panels. I receive the largest daily Wisconsin paper and have yet to read anything of what has been posted.
Thanks for the clarification. I misunderstood the earlier post about the Saft/JCI relationship. As far as the Stimuli money, I don't think the states have received their respective allotments yet. So there is a good chance that JCI may get some reimbursement (as they should).

The JCI solar panels are exactly the type of "green power" they will be funding. That's why JCI was one of the 16 companies awarded up to $80 Billion in Energy Efficiency, Renewable Energy, and Water Conservation Projects at Federal Facilities.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:41 PM
Enthusiast

It is amazing that in the process of being "Green". We are willing to fund one of the nastiest manufacturing processes out there. There is a reason that battery plants are in third world countries. A great way to divert the focus of the process is to build a larger solar farm. Which will likely be paid for with Stimuli money. Just hope those battery plants are in someone else's neighborhood. We don't need any three eyed infants here. We can go to SRS for that.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:16 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Provisions in the Congressional stimulus bill could help jump-start a new, multibillion-dollar industry in the United States for manufacturing advanced batteries for hybrids and electric vehicles and for storing energy from the electrical grid to enable the widespread use of renewable energy.
The purpose of a stimulous bill is to jump start the economy. This could create a new manufacturing base however targeting a few select pointed companies won't do it, at least in my opinion.
Then there's the looming tax increase on all businesses and the "rich" who own and run them. We're poised to have the highest corporate tax rate in the world. Today Japan is #1 highest and we are 2nd. Me? I wouldn't start a company being aware of the tax slaughter ahead.

However putting $3,000 in every working person's pocket would be direct economy sitmulation instead of these targeted spending schemes.

But then we (The U.S.) already had a $12,000,000,000,000 debt at the end of 2008, add the $1,003,000,000,000 already spent this year and the rest of the year's Imperial Federal budget of $3,005,000,000,000

Our spending has already put us past 15 Trillion 15,000,000,000,000 of national debt.

Congressional budget office projects another 7 Trillion over the next 10 years if the current spending levels continue.

We have no business funding phantom start-up companies no matter how noble the cause.
There is no money. We can't afford it.

What good is battery technology when bread cost $10/loaf (Or more) and you and your children owe $80,000 to the government for money spent today?

Not to mention "Free" health care, "Free" child care, "Free" college tuition which is on the agenda.

Ok I'll get off my soapbox but this nation is going to have to come to grips with its Fedral government spending.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:08 PM
Old Boomer Techie

Originally Posted by Hot_Georgia_2004
... Ok I'll get off my soapbox but this nation is going to have to come to grips with its Fedral government spending.
A little off topic, but you started it. Historian Michael Rostovtzeff and economist Ludwig von Mises both argued that unsound economic policies played a key role in the impoverishment and decay of the Roman Empire. According to them, by the 2nd century A.D., the Roman Empire had developed a complex market economy in which trade was relatively free. Tariffs were low and laws controlling the prices of foodstuffs and other commodities had little impact because they did not fix the prices significantly below their market levels. After the 3rd century, however, debasement of the currency (i.e., the minting of coins with diminishing content of gold, silver, and bronze) led to inflation. The price control laws then resulted in prices that were significantly below their free-market equilibrium levels and distorted the cost of all other goods.

Old 05-31-2009, 02:38 PM
Enthusiast

It is amazing that in the process of being "Green". We are willing to fund one of the nastiest manufacturing processes out there. There is a reason that battery plants are in third world countries. A great way to divert the focus of the process is to build a larger solar farm. Which will likely be paid for with Stimuli money. Just hope those battery plants are in someone else's neighborhood. We don't need any three eyed infants here. We can go to SRS for that.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:11 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by E-RPM SOFT.COM
This article: http://www.reuters.com/article/press...09+PRN20090414

states Johnson Controls-Saft is building a lithium ion battery plant in Holland, Michigan with a capacity of 15 million units. This is the same company that is building lithium ion hybrid batteries in their plant in France. Last I checked, never the USA or France were not third world countries.

Last edited by Billyk; 05-31-2009 at 08:04 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:35 PM
Looking...

The ins and outs of business economics is pretty awesome. If people were smart and had the know-how and financial makings to start a business they would have been wise to start anything that would specifically go into making a hybrid car. Anytime the government starts stepping in and ecnouraging a certian behavior that sector of the economy is sure to do well. Batter manufacturers are beginning to see the rewards of this type of action.