Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Surprise. Hybrids Do Save Gas. A Lot of Gas

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 07:02 AM
Engineering Professor
Default Re: Surprise. Hybrids Do Save Gas. A Lot of Gas

Originally Posted by DougD
(Even the Smart only gets mid 50s, and it's *tiny*.)
The US version of the "Smart" requires PREMIUM gas (the continuing stupidity of automotive marketing people - Americans really NEED the extra power in a tiny citycar ).

Offer the electric version at a reasonable cost and I'll be interested (especially if its a 4WD).

JeffD

PS: My 2004 Prius has saved about 2000 gallons of gas so far (91,000 miles at better than 45 MPG versus half that MPG in my Subaru Outback). Comparing manual transmission econoboxes to a Prius is foolish since few Prius buyers would even consider that as an alternative vehicle.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:46 AM
Active Enthusiast

The quote you made from spartybrutus was a lot nicer than the one that was in my in box. If people don't like this they shouldn't read. Gosh they know well enough what's in the thread by now. If they are interested, as a few seem to be they can post.

Heck you can put me on your ignore list, but don't be sending nastygrams.

But essentially correct, Bob. Though I am a "she".

--des

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
He is just working out the price-performance model "out loud." Other than correcting a few flaws, it reminds me of the issued I faced in September 2005. By Oct 2005, I had my used Prius. He is just lining up the arguments for when time eventually takes his current ride away.

Bob Wilson

Old 08-01-2007, 03:32 PM
HypoFueler

Originally Posted by desdemona
The quote you made from spartybrutus was a lot nicer than the one that was in my in box. If people don't like this they shouldn't read. Gosh they know well enough what's in the thread by now. If they are interested, as a few seem to be they can post.

Heck you can put me on your ignore list, but don't be sending nastygrams.

Yep - I was out of line. Des has as much right to post as anyone. If I can find a way to filter out some posts, that would be good. Here it is: view public profile > add to ignore list.

Best regards,

Old 08-01-2007, 03:40 PM
Engineering first

. . . .
But essentially correct, Bob. Though I am a "she".
Opps, fixed it along with a few other typos and grammar problems.

I have no problem with folks coming to 'work through the problem' and I sure don't expect everyone to come to the same decision. All we can do is to share the facts and data and be an honest broker so in the end, the person can make the best decision for their needs.

Bob Wilson

Old 08-02-2007, 02:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

I do actually appreciate all the help. I have pretty much decided to eke a little more out of the Corolla and then make another decision in a year or two (I hope though I can get a hybrid)!

Meanwhile I'm learning to hypermile.

--des

Opps, fixed it along with a few other typos and grammar problems.

I have no problem with folks coming to 'work through the problem' and I sure don't expect everyone to come to the same decision. All we can do is to share the facts and data and be an honest broker so in the end, the person can make the best decision for their needs.

Bob Wilson

Old 08-03-2007, 03:53 AM
Obsessed MPG Junkie

I do actually appreciate all the help. I have pretty much decided to eke a little more out of the Corolla and then make another decision in a year or two (I hope though I can get a hybrid)!

Meanwhile I'm learning to hypermile.

--des
That's great! Have you considered a used hybrid? Bwilsonweb might have some good input on this. Fyi, Toyota sells certified hybrids but I would not get anything older than 04 or 05.

Btw, 100K mile in itself is pretty high, but to get there in 11 years makes it a low mileage car. Fyi, my 5 yr old subaru had almost 90K before I got suckered into a trade. The subaru is a good car and would have probably gone on longer without much maintenance cost despite the numerous accidents and physical abuses. I felt suckered initially cause I had no intention of buying but only to scope out our options. Well...the sales guy found the perfect sucker who's too juiced up on owning a hybrid that day. After much self-justification and true-cost-to-own analysis, I did convince myself it was a great deal and I am doing the environment some good. I get such a high everytime I put the car in EV mode. Being one of the first million (in a world with billions) to adopt this new technology is also a plus on the psyche.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:21 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yes, I have considered used. Though I don't guess the used hybrids are quite as good a deal due to the fact that they don't appear to depreciate as fast.

But I am pretty well sticking to the Corolla for this year, esp since putting new tires on it yesterday! Actually Blue Book figures consider 100 K about average.-- but I see your point. By end of next year there is on off chance I might be able to buy a newer car without financing it-- that would be sweet.

I am waiting for my Scan Gauge btw.

--des

Originally Posted by rocko0002
That's great! Have you considered a used hybrid? Bwilsonweb might have some good input on this. Fyi, Toyota sells certified hybrids but I would not get anything older than 04 or 05.

Btw, 100K mile in itself is pretty high, but to get there in 11 years makes it a low mileage car. Fyi, my 5 yr old subaru had almost 90K before I got suckered into a trade. The subaru is a good car and would have probably gone on longer without much maintenance cost despite the numerous accidents and physical abuses. I felt suckered initially cause I had no intention of buying but only to scope out our options. Well...the sales guy found the perfect sucker who's too juiced up on owning a hybrid that day. After much self-justification and true-cost-to-own analysis, I did convince myself it was a great deal and I am doing the environment some good. I get such a high everytime I put the car in EV mode. Being one of the first million (in a world with billions) to adopt this new technology is also a plus on the psyche.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:06 AM
Engineering first

Yes, I have considered used. Though I don't guess the used hybrids are quite as good a deal due to the fact that they don't appear to depreciate as fast.
. . .
Not until you buy one. <GRINS>

The key is the 3/36,000 warranty is pretty much useless except as a negotiating point. The important one is the 8/100,000 hybrid warranty. For a first hybrid, getting one right after the 3/36,000 is probably a good deal especially if you hammer on the 3/36,000.

As for which model, again it needs to meet your requirements, how you will use the car and feel comfortable with the car. In our case, the height of the seat was important for my wife and my daily, 10 mile commute important to me.

Enjoy your Corolla and GOOD LUCK!

Bob Wilson

Old 08-03-2007, 11:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

I don't doubt that low depreciation is a GREAT deal when you have one, but
not so good if you want one.

Thanks for your warranty advise. I think I should take some of this file and save it as advise when and if I actually get one. Much of this is very good advise for anybody buying one. Might be a good FAQ-- if you deleted some extraneous and repetitive info.

I can't say I *enjoy* the Corolla, but you can't deny it is good reliable transportation at this point. OTOH, I am really enjoying hypermiling. I am getting a Scan gauge (well ordered one yesterday). I think that will be fun, seeing which techniques really effect gas mileage. When and if I do get a hybrid that should make my mileage really awesome.

Thanks,

--des

Not until you buy one. <GRINS>

The key is the 3/36,000 warranty is pretty much useless except as a negotiating point. The important one is the 8/100,000 hybrid warranty. For a first hybrid, getting one right after the 3/36,000 is probably a good deal especially if you hammer on the 3/36,000.

As for which model, again it needs to meet your requirements, how you will use the car and feel comfortable with the car. In our case, the height of the seat was important for my wife and my daily, 10 mile commute important to me.

Enjoy your Corolla and GOOD LUCK!

Bob Wilson