Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Is Toyota unstoppable?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 10:19 AM
Enthusiast
Default Is Toyota unstoppable?

The great hybrid advantage: Is Toyota unstoppable?

Vancouver Sun

Published: Saturday, March 29, 2008

With a mix of creative engineering, clever promotion and fortunate timing, Toyota has set the de facto standard for the entire class of eco-friendly vehicles. It has licensed its software to Ford and is selling hybrid components to Nissan. Toyota has half a dozen hybrid models in showrooms or on the way - twice as many as any other automaker - ranging from the frugal Prius to the $100,000-plus Lexus LS 600hL.

While some critics speak of slowing hybrid sales, the reality is that hybrid sales are catapulting Toyota past every other automaker. And it appears that the best of hybrid technology is yet to come.
Article continues at posted link

Old 03-30-2008, 07:56 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Is Toyota unstoppable?

Ford does not share any software or hardware components with Toyota. The part that you refer to is all "legal-issue" stuff such as seatbelts were invented by someone (no not Toyota) and everyone now uses them. Toyota sales in Japan ( ) are dropping!

Old 03-31-2008, 03:13 PM
Hybrid Owner

I have nothing against Toyota, however, their cars are generally bland and uninspiring. The technology and reliability may be there but it's not packaged in a manner that will keep people coming back for more (at least long term).

The last 3 rental Camrys I have rented had poor interior assembly and/or as much flash molding as the last Ford/GM I drove. The new Corolla is a missed opportunity, and having sat in one feels severely de-contented. The new Scion xB is a porker and gets significantly less gas mileage and lost some of its agility (and is difficult to see out of). The Scion tC is stale. The hybrid Lexus models (in my opinion) are poor financial choices for the buyers.

Slow and steady wins the race, and it appears that Toyota is now willing to sacrifice in order to leap ahead in sales. They may succeed, but they risk not being able to maintain.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

Another case of a clueless writer. The hybrid patents are cross licensed which means that Toyota licensed Ford's technology to the same extent it was the other way around. Toyota quality has clearly slipped over the last few years and this is a major internal concern at Toyota. It's really hard to be No. 1, especially (as noted by a previous poster) most of your products are generic and bland.

As the new UAW contracts start to take effect and the Japanese lose their labor cost advantages, Toyota is in for rought sledding.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:20 AM
Old Boomer Techie

Originally Posted by caholla
I have nothing against Toyota, however, their cars are generally bland and uninspiring. The technology and reliability may be there but it's not packaged in a manner that will keep people coming back for more (at least long term).
Huh ?

"Toyota Camry -- Best selling car in America for nine of the last ten years." (Edmunds)

"Toyota Corolla -- Best selling car in the World in 2007" (30 million as of end of 2007)

I would agree, with a few exceptions, that Toyota vehicles are not generally exciting for driving enthusiasts seeking high levels of handling or high end interiors. However, the more generic driving population have kept coming back for more, and more, and more ! A company does not achieve the number one sales position in the US by offering a product that nobody wants.

Last edited by FastMover; 04-01-2008 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Sp
Old 04-01-2008, 11:48 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

It's funny how when your #1, people will line up to try and take you down. Granted......Toyota quality may not be what it once was............but compared to Ford ,GM and Chrysler........they are still light years ahead of the big 3. A few weeks back i read a story that compared the average number of problems in an 8 year old Toyota to a 3-4 year old from the big 3. The average number of problems incountered in an 8(eight) year old Toyota was about the same as a 3 year old Ford, GM or Chrysler. That speaks directly to design and quality. This study was done very recently.....I have had some personal bad experiences with Chevy personally and i have never..........with almost 7 years owning a Toyota had any problems related to quality. Need i say anymore??

Old 04-01-2008, 03:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KenG
Another case of a clueless writer. The hybrid patents are cross licensed which means that Toyota licensed Ford's technology to the same extent it was the other way around.

Well KenG, I took the words directly from a Ford Executive in that Ford does not share hardware or software with Toyota. Ford developed their own "stuff". Don't confused this with the term "licensed".

Last edited by Pravus Prime; 04-04-2008 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Fixed Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:12 PM
Hybrid Owner

It *is* funny how when you're #1 people will line up and try to take you down. GM knows what this feels like. It also helps when internal decisions are made that help support the fall.

I propose that's exactly what happened to General Motors. The accountants took over during unstable economic times, and as a corporation they became very arrogant in regards to customers (let's sell a ton of look-a-like cars at different price points...the customer won't know the difference). Quality went down while their products became less and less distinctive. The customers saw and felt the kick in the face and frankly lined up at Toyota and Honda's door in response.

I am proposing that now that Toyota is #1 + weakening US dollar + less distinctive products + some level of arrogance in regards to customer desire (http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/bl...ra-the-skinny/) for example + a measurable drop in quality = a perfect storm for problems both realized and perceived.

Will Toyota ever sink to the depths GM/Ford/Chrysler have seen? Highly unlikely. Will the customers flee as quickly as they did from GM/Ford/Chrysler? Highly unlikely. Will there be a noticable shift? I think so, at least short term.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:18 PM
Part Time Hybrids

Who's says you should buy a car based on how well it sells.

No offense to dedicated owners but I still choose a somewhat sporty look and feel to a wallowing cockroach anyday!

Old 04-02-2008, 04:28 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Toyota's are not sporty? Compared to what?? A HCH?? I seriously doubt that. Some may say the TCH is boring.......but they are the minority, not the majority.......hence the title " Best selling car in the US". I mean.........granted a boring reliable car is still.............boring. Well..........that is your opinion. Most car buyers don't agree with you. No offence to the HCH.........but it is still not a Toyota.

Quick Reply: Is Toyota unstoppable?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands