Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Two hybrids listed as cars with the best residual values

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 02:05 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Post Two hybrids listed as cars with the best residual values

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8645827/

I was kinda surprised the Civic Hybrid didn't make the list instead of the HAH.

Regards,

Old 07-25-2005, 04:23 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Two hybrids listed as cars with the best residual values

Hi HawkGT647:

___I too am surprised by the AH’s resale per the article. I have seen AH non-NAVI’s go for just $27,500 brand new ($130 under invoice incl. dest.) at a particular LA. Honda dealership from about 3 months after release up through today. You cannot touch a Prius II even after ~ 21 + months on the market for anywhere near invoice that I know about yet? I think the article is messed up somehow given all of our collective knowledge about the Prius II pricing vs. the AH’s.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 07-25-2005, 04:42 PM

Gotta love their advice

To keep your new car worth its money, buy it in a conservative color, such as black, white or silver. Upscale options add value, so spring for such items as keyless entry, leather surfaces and a premium sound system. A larger engine, if one is optional, will add value. If you're buying an SUV or wagon, a roof rack and a third row of seats will make your car easier to sell.
With SUV prices falling and gas prices rising, I think people will be shopping for smaller engines in a couple years.

Last edited by Schwa; 07-25-2005 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:24 AM

...methinks the data is skewed...how large of a sample size could there possibly be for used HAH's?? And/or because there are so few, they may be basing the value off the non-hybrid w/ same options. It's an Accord...'nuff said for resale value. BTW, Kelly Bluebook doesn't even list HAH as a choice yet.

I picked mine up in May off the lot for invoice...$27.6K. There were at least a dozen in inventory between the 5 local dealers, not moving that well. HCHs, on the other hand, were flying off the lot as soon as they were delivered. Something about a $7-10k differential...

The manager commented (after I bought, so it wasn't a kiss-up) that a lot of the civic buyers this year seemed to be 'knee-jerkers' (his term), looking for anything- didn't care about color, etc. The few HAH buyers seemed to just want a 'nice family car' that happened to get good mileage- not fuel price driven, so much.

If I were to sell it today, I would push it as a V6 Accord...oh, and it happens to be a hybrid. 'V6 hybrid' seems to make peoples' brains hurt, esp. when it doesn't get 50+mpg like they seem to think all hybrids must get. This, instead of thinking about the relative improvement over what they would be buying otherwise...like the same thing in a non-hybrid version. sigh.