Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

USA Today -- need we say more?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 04:29 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: USA Today -- need we say more?

There is considerable debate about the impact of Mercury and very little proof that, as emitted by power plants, it is dangerous. Regardless, significant Mercury reductions have been mandated by many states and will be required nationally shortly. In the forseeable future, Mercury from power plants will be a non-issue.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:29 PM
Engineering first
Wink Re: USA Today -- need we say more?

Originally Posted by KenG
There is considerable debate about the impact of Mercury and very little proof that, as emitted by power plants, it is dangerous. Regardless, significant Mercury reductions have been mandated by many states and will be required nationally shortly. In the forseeable future, Mercury from power plants will be a non-issue.
http://www.tva.com/environment/ecohealth/bearcreek.htm
Originally Posted by Bear_Creek
In March 2004 the state of Alabama issued a limited consumption advisory for largemouth bass from Bear Creek Reservoir because of mercury contamination. The state of Alabama states that the “intent of a limited consumption advisory is for women of childbearing age and children (less than 15 years of age) to refrain from consumption of any fish indicated under this advisory. All other individuals should limit their consumption of the particular species to one meal per month.”
So let's see, did something happen that might led to more mercury in Alabama watersheds:
http://www.nrdc.org/air/pollution/qbushplan.asp
Originally Posted by NRDC
. . .
The Clear Skies legislation sets new targets for emissions of sulfur dioxide, mercury, and nitrogen oxides from U.S. power plants. But these targets are weaker than those that would be put in place if the Bush administration simply implemented and enforced the existing law! Compared to current law, the Clear Skies plan would allow three times more toxic mercury emissions, 50 percent more sulfur emissions, and hundreds of thousands more tons of smog-forming nitrogen oxides. It would also delay cleaning up this pollution by up to a decade compared to current law and force residents of heavily-polluted areas to wait years longer for clean air compared to the existing Clean Air Act. . . .

There is a clear pattern that suggests support for more mercury emissions:
http://www.foxriverwatch.com/nrda/bush_record.html

Understand that I still prefer plug-in hybrids but today's higher more mercury emissions in North Alabama didn't take plug-in hybrids. All it took was weak EPA enforcement that started in 2001 and continues to this day. Plug-in hybrids won't change mercury emissions as much as EPA enforcement will.

Bob Wilson

Old 02-29-2008, 09:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
http://www.tva.com/environment/ecohealth/bearcreek.htm

So let's see, did something happen that might led to more mercury in Alabama watersheds:
http://www.nrdc.org/air/pollution/qbushplan.asp

There is a clear pattern that suggests support for more mercury emissions:
http://www.foxriverwatch.com/nrda/bush_record.html

Understand that I still prefer plug-in hybrids but today's higher more mercury emissions in North Alabama didn't take plug-in hybrids. All it took was weak EPA enforcement that started in 2001 and continues to this day. Plug-in hybrids won't change mercury emissions as much as EPA enforcement will.

Bob Wilson
[/size][/font]
I bet the folks at the EPA will be relieved/happy in Jan of next year when they can finally get back to doing their jobs instead of being re-lined out of the equation like the last 8 years...

Old 02-29-2008, 09:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ChicagoHCHII
Wikipedia isn't exactly the quantitative data I was looking for, but it does have a part that indicates mercury is not that lethal at all:

Because elemental mercury often passes through the GI tract without being absorbed, it was used medically for various purposes until the dangers of mercury poisoning became known. For example, elemental mercury was used to mechanically clear intestinal obstructions (due to its great weight and fluidity), and it was a key ingredient in various medicines throughout history, such as blue mass. The toxic effects often were either not noticed at all, or so subtle or generic that they were attributed to other causes and were not recognized as poisoning caused by mercury. While the usage of mercury in medicine has declined, mercury-containing compounds are still used medically in vaccines and dental amalgam, both of which have been the subject of controversy regarding their potential for mercury poisoning.

Sorry but I'm not afraid of the big mercury boogeyman. Like I said its treated like asbestos today: its dangers (or prevalence) are greatly exaggerated.
Hey I got a great idea; if you like pollution move to China! they belch out pollution like no tomorrow.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:03 AM
Active Enthusiast

If you follow the Bear Lake info links and actually read the advisory, it explains that high Mercury in lakes and reserviors is usually the result of past industrial discharges (prior to regulation). It is not power plant emissions. Power plants currently account for around 30% of US Mercury emissions because almost all other sources have been cleaned up.

Be very careful in reading the NRDC information. They are an advocacy group that is less than rigorous in the statements they make. They claim that the Clear Skies initiative would increase Mercury emissions by three times. That is just plain not true. Clear Skies would have reduced Mercury emissions by 70%. Some state specific regulations (that have not been enforced yet) would reduce emissions by 90%. It's true that a 70% reduction would result in a new level that is three times what would result from a 90% reduction but both cases are reductions.

The real argument is over whether Mercury should be regulated by allowance or by absolute limit. Clear Skies proposed a trading program where the overall emissions are reduced by applying new controls where it is most cost effective. The NRDC approach is to make every facility meet the limiit regardless of individual cost.

The reason this is all moot is that in early February a Federal court ruled for the states and against the EPA so the individual states can now enforce the more restrictive requirements and Clear Skies is effectively dead (at least the Mercury portion).

Old 02-29-2008, 10:57 AM
Engineering first

If you follow the Bear Lake info links and actually read the advisory, it explains that high Mercury in lakes and reserviors is usually the result of past industrial discharges (prior to regulation). It is not power plant emissions. Power plants currently account for around 30% of US Mercury emissions because almost all other sources have been cleaned up.
I'll keep an open mind on this and we'll see. There are several other watersheds and the prevailing winds don't flow from any obvious Mississippi/Louisiana coal fired plants (but I don't have a good map of them.) The TVA also reported having to breach the dam a couple of years ago and that might have led to higher stream currents digging into past sediment. What I'd like to see would be finding a mercury contaminated layer, the 'smoking gun'. But in the meanwhile, the only other likely source is air-borne. If we see a 'plume' of elevated mercury levels, it should point to the source.

I wonder if Doug might have some insights about how to approach this. For example, would isotope analysis (assuming there is enough to perform the test on) give a clue as to combustion versus industrial sources?

Bob Wilson

Old 02-29-2008, 12:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

I googled Bear Creek and found it was on the Mississippi border. I'm sure there are a lot of good jokes about being downwind of Mississippi but Mississippi and Louisiana have very little coal fired generation. Maybe a municipal incinerator - these emit a lot mercury. I still think it's more likely old historical industrial facilities or a natural deposit.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chris(CA)
Hey I got a great idea; if you like pollution move to China! they belch out pollution like no tomorrow.
Not so much pollution but I like responsible (not punitive) environmental policy.

Yes China does have a problem with pollution. But its also why the U.S.' manufacturing base has eroded and China is booming. China's competitive advantage is that they don't have the EPA.

As there are no limits on mercury there there are big problems. But if our limits were set in a responsible fashion (instead of just stating a ridiculously low level of 1ppb) then industry wouldn't be harmed nearly as much.

Look at the economic damage done by the asbestos fiasco, and compare that with the actual damage done to people. Was the scare really worth countless hundreds of billions of dollars? I don't think so.

Last edited by ChicagoHCHII; 02-29-2008 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:24 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Originally Posted by ChicagoHCHII
Look at the economic damage done by the asbestos fiasco, and compare that with the actual damage done to people. Was the scare really worth countless hundreds of billions of dollars? I don't think so.
Same goes for Global Warming. The harm does not justify spending trillions of dollars to fight it. I recently got criticized for saying this in another thread. Some people thought I was lying when I said it would cost each person $1 million dollars over a lifetime to cool the planet...it will!

Old 02-29-2008, 03:42 PM
Engineering first
Wink Re: USA Today -- need we say more?

I googled Bear Creek and found it was on the Mississippi border. I'm sure there are a lot of good jokes about being downwind of Mississippi but Mississippi and Louisiana have very little coal fired generation. Maybe a municipal incinerator - these emit a lot mercury. I still think it's more likely old historical industrial facilities or a natural deposit.
There sure are a lot loaded coal cars that pass through Huntsville headed west and empties that pass back east. If I remember correctly, there may be a TVA coal fired plant in Tennessee just beyond the Alabama border, a bit north and west of Bear Creek. But I agree, we really need to know the Bear Creek mercury source. I'm just not ready to rule out anything at this point.

Bob Wilson

Quick Reply: USA Today -- need we say more?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands