Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Very Funny Article about owning a Prius...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 11:17 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Very Funny Article about owning a Prius...

A very funny opinion piece about a Prius the author owns....LOL

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/accent/...ncol_0714.html

Here's a piece of it:

Q: Uh-oh. What is it?

A: I might not be smart enough to own this car. One of its quirks is that when you stop, the gasoline engine quits and you can't tell the car is running. Well, not running, but ready to go. Like a golf cart. On my second day with the car, I parked for an hour and was amazed to return to a cool car. Turns out I had forgotten to hit the power button and the AC kept going on batteries. No worry about the batteries dying because the gasoline engine kicks in as needed.

Old 07-14-2005, 12:14 PM
Site Founder
Default Re: Very Funny Article about owning a Prius...

Pretty good, haha.

Old 07-14-2005, 12:53 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Very funny! Even though her battery was in fine shape, her fuel economy would have tanked if the A/C had been left running all that time. All that engine activity with no movement under the wheels. Nice to know that you can leave a car running in some places and it won't get stolen.
Q: Why are you bringing sex into a story about a gasoline hybrid-electric car?
A: When I first considered buying a Prius, I had serious concerns about the name. Prius sounded a lot like priapic to me. Priapic means overly concerned with virility or masculinity. I looked up Prius, and it doesn't mean anything. I bought the car and have put 1,300 miles on it commuting to West Palm Beach from Martin County.
The author is wrong about that one. Prius is Latin. So, it basically means nothing in English, but in Latin it means to come before. And we use the prefix "pre" when we are speaking of an event that comes before another related event. The prefix pre is derived from Latin, I think.

Last edited by JeromeP; 07-14-2005 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:59 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JeromeP
Even though her battery was in fine shape, her fuel economy would have tanked if the A/C had been left running all that time. All that engine activity with no movement under the wheels. Nice to know that you can leave a car running in some places and it won't get stolen.
FE would have taken a hit, for sure... but the car can run the A/C on the battery alone for quite a while, especially if you don't set the temp to freezing cold. It will cycle the battery quite a bit, down to 1 or 2 bars before running the motor for a minute to charge it up.

I doubt it would get stolen, the car can still be locked with the engine on, as long as you have the key with you.

Old 07-14-2005, 01:06 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Schwa
FE would have taken a hit, for sure... but the car can run the A/C on the battery alone for quite a while, especially if you don't set the temp to freezing cold. It will cycle the battery quite a bit, down to 1 or 2 bars before running the motor for a minute to charge it up.

I doubt it would get stolen, the car can still be locked with the engine on, as long as you have the key with you.
I have had the unfortunate experience of being stuck in traffic with the A/C on and the battery draining down until the ICE kicks in. I've never worried about my HV battery, however it kills your tank average economy.