Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

What is it with the "hybrids are expensive and don't pay off" myth in the media?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 07:09 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: What is it with the "hybrids are expensive and don't pay off" myth in the media?

Here is an interesting take on batteries and related service in Hybrids.

http://www.hybridcars.com/hidden-costs.html

Old 08-12-2006, 07:41 PM
Default Re: What is it with the "hybrids are expensive and don't pay off" myth in the media?

Yes Mr. Kite, 50+% is an error.

Is there anyone here that still doesn't think that the production of the hybrid components MIGHT result in extra and significant CO2 emissions?

Old 08-12-2006, 07:46 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Does not matter, because over the life of the vehicles, the gas only version of the car pollutes MORE, cradle to grave.

So you might was well drive cleaner and pay less for your fuel.

Old 08-12-2006, 08:17 PM
Engineering first

Private,

Originally Posted by CaptainObvious
I now realize that I had seen that report before and completely discounted it.
Fair enough. The report is real and pretty much discounts your speculations.

1. They had to end-of-life an Insight at 146,000 miles because repairs were to expensive.
2. Wow Bob, two of each vehicle. That's quite a sample.
3. 160,000miles in 2 years != 160,000 miles in 15 years.
Yeap, facts and data versus your idle keyboard rambling. The Dept. of Energy answered the question.

I'm still waiting for you to provide some answers... like how much extra CO2 was produced in making the hybrid drivetrain on a Prius.
Once I bought my car, the carbon used to make it 'instantly disappeared' a mute point.

But for the sake of staying on topic, you're welcome to explain to me how a Civic Hybrid is going to save me money over 5 years vs a Civic LX with manual transmission. Because other than MPG (and some extra frustration driving the hybrid), the hybrid offers nothing else that I consider worth having. Dorky wheels, a $15 wing, a couple speakers worth $50, and a tranny that breaks (which is why I limit this to 5 years... warranty).
Your answer is at:

Superior Honda of Omaha, 402-408-1000 - call on Monday an ask for a salesman.

Bob Wilson

Old 08-12-2006, 08:34 PM
Hybrid True Believer

Does anyone here even know why CaptainObvious posts here? He hates hybrid technology, drives a yuppie mobile, and disparages everyone else's opinions. He needs to be one some cigar or roadster forum instead of this one.

Old 08-12-2006, 08:48 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Yes Mr. Kite, 50+% is an error.

Is there anyone here that still doesn't think that the production of the hybrid components MIGHT result in extra and significant CO2 emissions?
I have never said this was not a possibility. I still think it is very difficult to quantify. The problem I had was that when you first introduced this topic, you just assumed (with absolutely nothing to back it up) that 100% of extra cost was energy. You have been very slow to back down from this assertion. I do not mind (I actually like) hearing all aspects of a story. However, if you say something outrageous and then are too stubborn to admit it was outrageous, it really takes away from your credibility.

Old 08-12-2006, 09:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AshenGrey
Does anyone here even know why CaptainObvious posts here? He hates hybrid technology, drives a yuppie mobile, and disparages everyone else's opinions. He needs to be one some cigar or roadster forum instead of this one.
Get used to it - it's going to be allowed to go on indefinitely, for virtues I'm completely clueless of while Capt Obvious smugly laughs about subverting the forum...

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 08-12-2006 at 10:09 PM.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:06 PM

Because other than MPG (and some extra frustration driving the hybrid), the hybrid offers nothing else that I consider worth having. Dorky wheels, a $15 wing, a couple speakers worth $50, and a tranny that breaks (which is why I limit this to 5 years... warranty).
First, the speakers are $60 for four, not $50. Second. Why are you here? Everything you have said has been said before. When you go buy a car come back and tell us how much you saved over getting a moped.

Off Topic:

Frankly I'm sick of your posts. Why not say something positive. If you don't like hybrids why are you here? We don't need someone here that only offers us stuff we all know already and have no problems talking about. Why not consider saying something CONSTRUCTIVE.

Last edited by tbaleno; 08-12-2006 at 09:10 PM.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by lars-ss
Does not matter, because over the life of the vehicles, the gas only version of the car pollutes MORE, cradle to grave.

So you might was well drive cleaner and pay less for your fuel.

...and more for your car.

You may be right about the gas version polluting more over the life of the vehicle. But to me it matters how much. I'd like to see it quantified... at least a reasonable estimate. If the difference is 2%, then other things will make a much bigger impact than hybrids. If the difference is 50%, then they should try to make every car a hybrid, and I would be more likely to buy one.

Why am I posting here? Well, I may buy a hybrid, and I might not. But I don't just go out, get excited about the technology, buy the car, and then join the Hybrids or Die team. I like to know the facts, and in terms of the environmental effects of hybrids, there isn't much info out there (or here).

Old 08-12-2006, 09:16 PM

Why would you buy a hybrid? You have yet to agree with any thing positive anyone has said about them. I would have expected you to have made up your mind by now and moved along to maybe the VW TDI forums.

Btw, to get this thread back on topic, this myth exists because hybrids are expensive, and the pay back isn't instant. The media doesn't tend to like to think about the future. Of course, I've never seen an article "the Corvette is to expensive and doesn't pay off" But hey, the corvette is only a car not a money making investment.

Quick Reply: What is it with the "hybrids are expensive and don't pay off" myth in the media?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands