Have you Recieved Your Mercury Mariner Hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 07:31 AM
Red face Re: Have you Recieved Your Mercury Mariner Hybrid?

Short update on mileage ....

I'm still hoping to see improvements as I get it broken in. Also, I still haven't calculated the mileage - just going by computer.

On my way to work today (mostly highway at 70 + mph), I reached an average of 28.5 mpg just as I was getting off the highway. The mileage actually decreased during the rest of the drive (short distance) - I think because quite a bit of the rest of the drive is up hill. As I pull into my building parking garage, I run on just electric since I go so slow in the garage - even up ramps. Anyway, the average ended up being 28.1 for the overall trip which is about 15-17 miles door to door.

I've also noticed that in the morning on colder days, it takes quite a bit longer for the car to warm up enough to turn off the engine while stopped. Even though I park in a garage at home, I guess the vehicle really has to be warmed up before the engine will shut off.

Question on the computer .... if anyone knows .... it seems to only calculate per trip - in other words, does not carry over after car is off and later started again so all the mileage info just relates to that particular trip. Is there any way to change to be continuous? My husband drives a Saab and it calculates continuously until reset. It seems weird that the Mariner only has a per trip reading.

Very happy with new car - just hope to see even more mileage improvements!

Any suggestions for personalized plates? I'm still thinking ....

Old 11-11-2005, 12:24 PM
Prof. of Hybridology
Default Re: Have you Recieved Your Mercury Mariner Hybrid?

I'm probably going to come off sounding like an offensive jerk knowitall, but...

Originally Posted by Mariner hybrid owner
Short update on mileage ....

I'm still hoping to see improvements as I get it broken in. Also, I still haven't calculated the mileage - just going by computer.

On my way to work today (mostly highway at 70 + mph),
You are aware that the faster you go, the worse your milage? (Not to be offensive) But you're going to be hard pressed to see lots of good tanks if you're spending a good portion of your trip going faster than 70 mph. Just slowing down to 65 you should see a significant increase in your MPGs, and allow you to enjoy the ride a bit more, and may even lower your daily stress.

I reached an average of 28.5 mpg just as I was getting off the highway. The mileage actually decreased during the rest of the drive (short distance) - I think because quite a bit of the rest of the drive is up hill. As I pull into my building parking garage, I run on just electric since I go so slow in the garage - even up ramps. Anyway, the average ended up being 28.1 for the overall trip which is about 15-17 miles door to door.
That short distance, is it stop and go/traffic lights, or just an uphill to your destination? If it's stop and go, are you rushing to the stops or coasting in? When you go, do you mash the accelerator, or do you get up to 10 or so MPH before the engine comes on? Those two, especially a good coasting stop, can mean a pretty big MPG difference.

I've also noticed that in the morning on colder days, it takes quite a bit longer for the car to warm up enough to turn off the engine while stopped. Even though I park in a garage at home, I guess the vehicle really has to be warmed up before the engine will shut off.
Pretty much, yes, though you are cutting time off by storing it in a garage, the engine has to be at an optimal temperature before it goes into EV mode; in the summer/warm it will take far less time than in the winter/cold. I believe they said the the FEH experience it takes about 2 minutes of run time in the summer, and around 4 in the winter to reach that optimum temp for EV mode to take over.

Question on the computer .... if anyone knows .... it seems to only calculate per trip - in other words, does not carry over after car is off and later started again so all the mileage info just relates to that particular trip. Is there any way to change to be continuous? My husband drives a Saab and it calculates continuously until reset. It seems weird that the Mariner only has a per trip reading.

Uh, meh? The FEH records until you hit reset. Are you sure you're not accidently resetting it every time?

Very happy with new car - just hope to see even more mileage improvements!

Any suggestions for personalized plates? I'm still thinking ....

You'll find a boost at around 3K. Also, keep in mind that as much as the car gets used to the road and breaks in, you have to get used to it. Just because it's a hybrid, doesn't make it a magic bullet to good milage, you can drive it like a car and get OK/good milage, or drive it like a hybrid and get fantastic milage, but that requires you to relearn how to drive in a few ways. Really, the driver is the biggest factor in your hybrid MPGs.

You can check out an old thread, https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...hlight=traffic here for some basic driving tips to getting good MPGs. Also, don't fret too much, I think pretty much everyone here has the first four tanks as some pretty crappy tanks compared to what they're getting now. (Ex. My second tank was 29 MPG. This month I haven't been below 34.4 MPG for a tank.)

If I came off as some allknowing flamer, trying to rip you to shreds, I sincerely apologize. I am trying to help.

Last edited by Pravus Prime; 11-11-2005 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:43 PM

Rich - I'm not at all offended. I appreciate the advice. I actually have already tried to change my habits somewhat. When you can't visually see how your habits change the efficiency, it was easy not to think about it (in my old car I mean). Now that I have visual reminders, I am much more conscious.

On the 70 mph - it's almost impossible not to go that fast on my route. Of course, it's not impossible but that's the regular traffic flow unless it's rush hour (I usually avoid rush hour) when things move slower. And, I admit, I've never been one to drive slower than the crowd - not by a long shot. I have slowed down some but not sure how much more slowing is practical.

On the short distances, stop and go, etc. I've definitely altered my pre-hybrid style here. I used to take off and stop quickly all the time - whenever possible now I am trying to be less assertive and I can see that it makes a real difference. On the hills though, doesn't seem to be too much I can do - just have to get up them!

Just to clarify my work commute - it's about 15-17 miles total - probably all but 3 or 4 miles of which is highway. I live and work close to the highway.

On the computer - I still haven't read everything in owner's manual. Maybe we're talking about 2 different things. I'm referring to the screen which is also the stereo and navigation system - it has a gas pump button. When you press that button, it shows a graph of the last 15 minutes of driving along with an "instant" reading on the left and an average. The graph resets each time the car is off and I'm pretty sure the avereage also then resets. I have to admit I'm not sure if your reference to "FEH" is the same system. Anyway, will have to figure this one out.

Again, not offended - keep advice coming. I will be out of the country, however, for one week starting tomorrow so I may not see any more posts until I get back.

Old 11-11-2005, 12:52 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Originally Posted by Mariner hybrid owner
On the computer - I still haven't read everything in owner's manual. Maybe we're talking about 2 different things. I'm referring to the screen which is also the stereo and navigation system - it has a gas pump button. When you press that button, it shows a graph of the last 15 minutes of driving along with an "instant" reading on the left and an average. The graph resets each time the car is off and I'm pretty sure the avereage also then resets. I have to admit I'm not sure if your reference to "FEH" is the same system. Anyway, will have to figure this one out.

Again, not offended - keep advice coming. I will be out of the country, however, for one week starting tomorrow so I may not see any more posts until I get back.
Okay, you have the A/N system. The graph will reset every time you start and stop the car. However, the numbers, your horizontal line with the average will keep your average for that tank/lifetime, whatever, until you hit the reset soft button in the lower corner. That's your MPG average, and you won't lose that every time you turn it on/off and until you hit reset you'll keep it. If you're that attached to the actual picture graph, sorry, but you get a new one each trip.

Also, you may be surprised. In the Explorer, my commute (83 miles round trip, 90% expressway) I hated going slower than 70, and usually went 77 (Slow enough to avoid the cops giving me a ticket in a speed trap). I loved to speed. Now, same trip, Cruise Control at 65, and relax and enjoy the drive. A 10 minute or so longer trip is well worth it.

Old 11-11-2005, 11:44 PM
Enthusiast

Speeding is one of the habits I am trying to get out of. My lead foot will ultimately waste gas and get me into trouble. I figure I have defeated the purpose of the hybrid if I am doing 82 mph on the highway.

-Chris

Last edited by Hexzero; 11-11-2005 at 11:46 PM.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:22 AM
Early Adopter

Originally Posted by Pravus Prime
Okay, you have the A/N system. The graph will reset every time you start and stop the car. However, the numbers, your horizontal line with the average will keep your average for that tank/lifetime, whatever, until you hit the reset soft button in the lower corner. That's your MPG average, and you won't lose that every time you turn it on/off and until you hit reset you'll keep it. If you're that attached to the actual picture graph, sorry, but you get a new one each trip.
Strictly speaking it keeps the last 1000 data points and so if you wait that long (1000 minutes?) it will become a rolling average. If you reset with each refueling it'll pretty much be assured to be a continuous average.

Old 11-25-2005, 11:19 PM
Enthusiast

Okay, delivery should be any day now. One thing I can say... Communication is not very big at Ford/Mercury. If I didn't call, my dealer and the consultant would have never contacted me about anything.

Last edited by Hexzero; 11-28-2005 at 08:09 PM.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:22 AM
Green Missionary

Congratulations, Chris. Incidently, what color is it and how is it equipped. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

As I said before, I had excellent communications from my sales rep. The one thing I didn't get from him was the delivery date - although he gave it to me within a week. Since I was 300 miles away, a little advanced notice would have helped me plan.

Old 11-28-2005, 02:47 PM
Enthusiast

My hybrid consultant tells me my Mariner is in transport and will be here this week!

Old 11-28-2005, 08:08 PM
Enthusiast

Ackk...I was told the same last week...meaning it would be here this week. However, when i called today both hybrid consultants were on vacation. There was a guy taking their place that couldn't spell hybrid let alone know anything about one.

Quick Reply: Have you Recieved Your Mercury Mariner Hybrid?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands