Buying & Driving Outside the 8 States

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 12:25 PM
AlG
Enthusiast
Question Buying & Driving Outside the 8 States

Hi,

I'm in Georgia. Not only is the Altima hybrid not sold here, but the state emissions inspection system doesn't work for full hybrid vehicles. In any event, my son just bought a new 2.5 and I really like it - safety features, keyless, continuous transmission, etc - and would like to get one myself in the hybrid model for better gas mileage and more pick-up. Has anybody tried to buy one outside the 8 states or moved after buying it? I'm wondering if my local dealers could service the hybrid technology. I guess all owners would have that same issue if on a trip outside California or the Northeast.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:52 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Buying & Driving Outside the 8 States

There shouldn't be any problem buying it out of state and bringing it back home. Most any dealer should be willing to do this. Many Prius owners did this to alleviate their wait. You will have to do the registration and title paperwork yourself though.

You are correct on the service issue. Disclaimer from Nissan's web site:
Altima Hybrid will be available in California, New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Vermont, Rhode Island, Maine and New Jersey. Service of hybrid components outside those states is limited and could involve some days' delay.
I wouldn't let that sway you too much though. The hybrid system itself doesn't require much maintenance. And repairs shouldn't be common. Toyota's hybrid system has proven itself quite reliable.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:31 PM
Need a Plug

Mine went on the Truck at 6:30 Pm tonight to arrive from California tomorrow here in AZ

Old 06-05-2007, 04:40 PM
AlG
Enthusiast

Gripper,

Did you talk to a local dealer about service on the hybrid components? I would think you'd need authorized service to keep it in warranty.

Old 06-05-2007, 04:53 PM
Need a Plug

Yes! the local dealer has trained personnel that were sent to TN for training. People do move, People do travel. Nissan only warns that warranty work in areas outside of the current 8 states may be subject to some delays. I have another car a VW Phaeton so I will wait in style.