The first users of the newest hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 02:05 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default The first users of the newest hybrid

Hi all!

My husband and I recently purchased an Altima hybrid. As of now we only have 127 miles on it... so we are a good ways away from being able to post real mpg reports.

Can I get a show of hands as to how many Altima hybrid owners are here?

Old 04-05-2007, 06:57 PM
Too Smug
Default Re: The first users of the newest hybrid

Welcome Marianne! I'm a Camry Hybrid owner who was lurking here for the evening. I hope you enjoy your new hybrid as much as I have been enjoying mine.

Old 04-06-2007, 08:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sallyspal
Welcome Marianne! I'm a Camry Hybrid owner who was lurking here for the evening. I hope you enjoy your new hybrid as much as I have been enjoying mine.
Hi Sally. I love the camry hybrid. It was our top choice of car.

So far, we are VERY happy with the Altima hybrid. It drives much sportier than the other hybrids, if that term can be used in describing a hybrid. It's a lovely car, and we got the extended 100,000 mile warranty. We are hoping it will be mechanical problem free... but that is always such a big IF with a new model.

It was actually a bit unnerving getting used to the quiet the first day, but now that is an aspect of hybrids that makes them more enjoyable. I also think in a way it enhances our driving safety because it lets us here the noise of other cars so well. (We learned day one, though, that 'lane changers' can't here us... so we are very cautious passing.)

Right now we are watching the gas gauge like hawks. We aren't going to fill the tank till it gets next to the bottom of empty. Nissan says "700 miles" on a tank... so we are very curious how real world driving will be. The Altima hybrid has a EV mode guage that lets us see when we are EV... and what kind of MPG we are getting by driving conditions... so we are actively trying to drive to optimize MPG. If we get crappy mileage... it will be the car design... NOT our driving style. If we get great MPG... then Nissan did their job right.

From the look and feel of the car, I can't help think that Nissan has to be losing money on the Altima hybrid. It's a very cheap price for a very luxurious car. Unfortunatley, the jury will be out on mechanical relaibility and real MPG for quite some time... so we can't give it an endorsement yet.

If you don't have asthma - people should get the Camry hybrid. It's track record for MPG and reliability are impressive.

Old 04-07-2007, 12:30 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Marianne
So far, we are VERY happy with the Altima hybrid. It drives much sportier than the other hybrids, if that term can be used in describing a hybrid.
I'm curious to know how 'sporty' it drives. For me the decision is coming down to the Altima SL or the Altima Hybrid. Being in Oregon I will never have a chance to test drive the hybrid, having to buy it sight unseen and have it shipped from California.

I've spent some time tooling around in a 270hp SL recently and have really enjoyed its ride and pip. Do you have any knowledge of the SE/SL Altima versus the hybrid?

Old 04-09-2007, 08:39 AM
Enthusiast

I just saw my first "other" NAH (other than on a dealer lot). Drove into my parking garage at work this morning, and in a long row with no spaces, there was one open, and the two cars in front of my drove right by it. As I turned towards it, I saw that the car just next to it was a new Altima (no license plate yet), and in fact was a hybrid. It may even be the one I test-drove.

It's missing the chrome exhaust on the right hand side, has just a smaller, thinner pipe there.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:00 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Andrew Ruess
I've spent some time tooling around in a 270hp SL recently and have really enjoyed its ride and pip. Do you have any knowledge of the SE/SL Altima versus the hybrid?
Sorry to say, but I have no clue. My nephew is VERY car svvy, and we had him out shopping/checking out cars for us. He was the one who first suggested the Altima hybrid. He liked it a lot better than the Camry hybrid, but he didn't compare it to a regular Altima.

He loves to test drive cars and drive dealers nuts. If I can, I'll see if I can get him to test drive both and post his thoughts on the differences.

A good friend of ours, and our former next door neighbor, came to dinner with us Saturday night. He is a Nissan nut... and he was so impressed with the Altima hybrid that he wants to get one after seeing ours. I don't know how much or if he has ever driven the SL, but we let him drive our Altima hybrid. He really liked it.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:06 PM
Need a Plug

Mine is now in the Garage! Just got if off the truck from California. Only one at this time in Arizona, Whee.

Last edited by GripperDon; 08-11-2007 at 01:24 PM. Reason: clarify
Old 06-26-2007, 12:41 PM
Active Enthusiast

I am in Pennsylvania and drove the one hour to a Nissan dealer in New York to order my Altima Hybrid with Tech package and no sun roof. (I had them on several cars and rarely used them) Ordered it in Jade and expect it the first week of August.

I have been encouraged with what I have read. I have driven Honda Hybrids but not toyotal and, of course, not Nissan. I have driven several regular Altima's and was impressed with handling and feel. Hoping for the same experience.

Old 06-26-2007, 02:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

Welcome JTirak to our small but growing club,

The performance of the Altima Hybrid is one of its best features. That 198 horsepower and solid feel from the extra weight makes for a very nice ride. The transmission and motors does give it different feel from traditional cars and the Toyota hybrid system feels different from the Honda one as well. I think you will like it. Cruising at 40 MPH in EV mode is a blast. There is plenty of power when needed. In fact, this car likes to be driven harder then most hybrids.

PS, The trunk is small but good enough for us.

Best Wishes