HID Headlight Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 08:14 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HID Headlight Questions

yes, you can see better with HID's, scatter is manageable but it's there...there really is not cutoff, there is a way to install them without removing bumper cover by going through the wheel well

Old 11-10-2009, 10:10 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by langjie
yes, you can see better with HID's, scatter is manageable but it's there...there really is not cutoff, there is a way to install them without removing bumper cover by going through the wheel well
If you have some pics ready to be posted that would be great especially if you have any before and after shots for comparison.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:27 PM
Enthusiast

I can see somewhat better, there is definite scatter since the housing is reflector style. I am going to look into projector housings and get them installed sometime in the future if i can find them.

I haven't been high-beamed so I'm guessing the cut off is ok, but until i can either be in another car infront of mine or in another car driving towards mine I can't say for sure.

The installer didn't remove the bumper. They raised it up a bit and removed the underbody plastic cover and went in that way to install the kit.

I'm in New Jersey and decided on going to Krazy House Customs to get it done. Total cost was $256 with their parts and labor.

FYI.....My car's manual says the low beams are H1 bulbs...This is false.

When they removed my bulbs from the car he showed me that it was an H11 (it was printed on the bulb). Good to know if you're going to purchase your own kit.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:35 PM
Enthusiast

Here's the pictures....Sorry they're so big, I know there's a way to re-size them but I don't have time to mess with that at the moment. Again this is a 6000k HID kit installed in an 09 Altima Hybrid with reflector style housing.

Pictures were taken from my enV3 cell phone, so the quality is only as good as the phone camera can produce.

Name:  before-towards.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  44.2 KB

Name:  before-away.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  49.0 KB

Name:  after-away.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  59.3 KB

Last edited by 09altimahybrid; 11-10-2009 at 08:39 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:55 PM
Active Enthusiast

Ah yes, I do see the scatter. Our old car had HID and the pattern was not like that even though it was a reflector and not projector based.

I believe the 3.5 Altima had the option for HID. You could purchase a set from a wrecking yard or ebay.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:41 AM
Active Enthusiast

thanks for the pix. I didn't have pix of before's (I did mine over 2 years ago). As for my experience, I hardly get high-beamed. I think I do point it low enough so it doesn't blind oncoming traffic

Old 01-19-2010, 09:46 PM
NAH Fanatic

Can I just update the HID lights by buying the bulbs at my local Auto Zone or do I have to do with other posters have done and replace the assembly as well. Are the HID bulbs they sell at Auto Zone even good?

Old 01-20-2010, 07:36 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by desh9583
Can I just update the HID lights by buying the bulbs at my local Auto Zone or do I have to do with other posters have done and replace the assembly as well. Are the HID bulbs they sell at Auto Zone even good?

Are you talking about the Sylvania Silverstar bulbs?

I considered using those, and then thought if I am going to pay someone to open up my car and install these bulbs...I might as well go for the full HID unit.

Also the Silverstar lights have a short life according to the back of the packaging. So you might end up changing the bulbs several times very quickly.

HID lights use a ballast along with a bulg to produce the light the way it does.

If you're going to attempt the AutoZone lights...just make sure you don't get stuck with them if you don't like it. I didn't open the packaging on my set so I was able to return it to my local PepBoys (theywon't accept open packages for this specific light bulb)

Old 01-22-2010, 08:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 09altimahybrid
Are you talking about the Sylvania Silverstar bulbs?

I considered using those, and then thought if I am going to pay someone to open up my car and install these bulbs...I might as well go for the full HID unit.

Also the Silverstar lights have a short life according to the back of the packaging. So you might end up changing the bulbs several times very quickly.

HID lights use a ballast along with a bulg to produce the light the way it does.

If you're going to attempt the AutoZone lights...just make sure you don't get stuck with them if you don't like it. I didn't open the packaging on my set so I was able to return it to my local PepBoys (theywon't accept open packages for this specific light bulb)
silverstars suck! well, they are bright, but I ended up changing them after a few months. they just burnt out.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:20 AM
Enthusiast

This question is for anyone who has installed HID lights in their Altima Hybrid.

Have you noticed that it interferes with the radio.

When I'm on the road my radio is fine, as far as i can tell.

I was leaving work the other day and my car is parked in the deck. I turn the headlights from Auto to off whenever I park because I have a remote starter installed and don't want them to turn on when I'm not there.

With the radio on in the deck I can hear the station fine. Once I turned my headlights on, I got a lot of static from the radio....switched the lights off and the radio was fine.

I'm not to concerned about it, I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

I have the 09 Altima Hybrid with Convenience Package only. No Bose, No Navi.

Quick Reply: HID Headlight Questions

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands