okay... something is SERIOUSLY wrong with my MPG

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 04:08 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: okay... something is SERIOUSLY wrong with my MPG

I put the car in B for a while today, just to see. The mileage was horrible, so this is a possibility. But if you're not really paying attention, it is the kind of thing you could miss. I didn't take it on the highway, but I would think it would be even easier to miss at higher speeds. So don't feel bad. As I said before, I've done it twice now by accident.

The engine does not stay on ALL the time tho, as I incorrectly stated above. It shuts off at a stop.

-Gren

Old 11-06-2007, 10:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

Lloyd... it continues to be in the 24-26 range. I've put the set in B thing to the test and that is NOT the issue.

We've been VERY careful about logging every tank and al MPG and driving conditions... and looking through the records there is a clear sudden drop of 10-12 MPG. It wasn't subtle at all.

The car still runs perfectly fine... but the MPG now is about the same as a standard Altima... not a hybrid.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

Marianne,

I know you had an issue with the dealer who sold you the car. I would be interested in what you find out. That is a puzzlement.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:03 PM
Enthusiast

If moving on a flat road, and shifted into N, does it coast nicely, or eventually stop due to some friction?

Does it go into EV MODE, the way it always has?

-Gren

Old 11-07-2007, 03:30 PM
Old Boomer Techie
Post Re: okay... something is SERIOUSLY wrong with my MPG

What was the weather on the drive to Arizona? Was it raining or snowing?

The traction control in my TCH can do some strange things when there is even a little standing water or snow on the pavement. In both cases the traction control seems to take a priority over regenerative braking and even 'coasting' battery recharge activities. I don't have enough data to post the results yet, but I do know that it decreases the battery charge rate, and therefore affects FE.

I also suspect that water on the road impacts LRR tires more than others. I can't prove it, but I do know that slightly more power is needed to maintain a constant cruise speed than when maintaining that speed on dry pavement over the same route. Over my 10 mile 'control' route (a portion of my morning commute, always taken at 65MPH and only very occasional traffic interference) I notice that power demand during rain (Seattle, go figure) is higher than during dry days. On dry days I can stabilize my MPG indicator at 50 and maintain speed, and sometimes in heavier rain, I cannot maintain speed over this same course with 45 on the meter. This is with the temperature hanging at the typical Pacific Coastal 48-50 degrees, as usual.

Last edited by FastMover; 11-07-2007 at 03:32 PM.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

Traction... weather... how the car drives... etc... everything is the same. From all stand points it seems the car runs great. It just gets 26 mpg now instead of 36.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

Marianne,

Are you reading the computer calculated miles or your own hand calculations? If it is the computer, than maybe it is what is at fault and you are getting the same mileage. Does it seem to go the same distance between fill-ups as before or is it definitely less?

Old 11-07-2007, 05:37 PM
Insipid Enthusiast

If your mileage has changed in such a drastic manner and your driving habits have not changed then it may very well be something mechanical. Have the dealer or another dealer look at it. It is under warrenty right?

Last edited by TheSpoils; 11-07-2007 at 05:38 PM. Reason: sick spelling
Old 11-08-2007, 07:03 AM
Enthusiast

I just made a trip to Laughlin, 75MPH cruise control & climate control= 29mpg! I get 35-37 in mixed driving normally. Higher speeds on the highway = greatly reduced mpg

Have you changed the air filter since the fires?

Tim A

Old 11-08-2007, 10:04 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tim A
I just made a trip to Laughlin, 75MPH cruise control & climate control= 29mpg! I get 35-37 in mixed driving normally. Higher speeds on the highway = greatly reduced mpg

Have you changed the air filter since the fires?

Tim A
the air filter is an interesting question. My husband is a severe asthmatic... so we were monitoring air particualte readings... some days hovering over 40 million.

And I am NOT relying on just the MPG meter... I'm also doing the math as I refill.

Quick Reply: okay... something is SERIOUSLY wrong with my MPG

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands