Picked up another Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 05:42 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Picked up another Hybrid

Wow! Congrats! Let us know how it does it the winter, too, please!

Old 07-28-2009, 12:20 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheSpoils
Ok, done with my first tank in the 2010 prius. 483 miles on 8.973 gallons. Display read 55.1 mpg / hand calc was 53.82
Better yet, after refueling and driving home 60 miles I'm averaging 65.5 mpg.
Yeah, people on Priuschat have reported that the 2010's trip computer tends to be over actual by quite a bit compared to the previous gen. I haven't been following the thread's closely since I don't have a 2010. The previous gen's was fairly close (mine's within ~1 mpg of actual after averaging via spreadsheet over time).

I always like to throw in there that just because it's a trip computer and might use injector pulse timings doesn't mean it's accurate. My former 02 Maxima's trip computer was always 2-4 mpg too high and has been confirmed by many others on maxima.org.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:38 AM
Active Enthusiast

The odometers are not 100% accurate ether. And gas pumps, although regulated, are not always run by the most honest of owners.

In sort, there is a margin of error if you use the MPG computer or the hand calculated method.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:43 AM
Insipid Enthusiast

I have also read that the higher numbers on display will actually have a greater error margin. I guess at 67MPG will actually be 59. It would be real nice to have a computer display that was accurate. I too have altered my spreadsheet to display the two figures. Anyway I have to say (again) i do miss the acceleration and comfort of the NAH but as we all know, something has to be sacraficed for the MPG.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheSpoils
I have also read that the higher numbers on display will actually have a greater error margin. I guess at 67MPG will actually be 59. It would be real nice to have a computer display that was accurate. I too have altered my spreadsheet to display the two figures. Anyway I have to say (again) i do miss the acceleration and comfort of the NAH but as we all know, something has to be sacraficed for the MPG.
So, does your 42.8mpg reflect all hand calculations?
As you know, I was in that range, but got whacked with poor winter numbers.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

The highest tank I have ever had was a 38.8 and that was based on the computer. I stopped using hand calculation when I realized they were always 1 to 2 mpg apart, which is well within the margin of error.

I don't know how you all get those high MPGs, but shifting to neutral or shutting off the engine at high speeds, over-inflating the tires beyond 38 to 40 or any kind of close drafting with trucks are suicidal methods I will not do, or expect my wife (the primary driver of the NAH) to do.

We have averaged 35 MPG over 45000 miles which is what I was expecting. Much better then both our Honda Civics, which never did better then 30.

Best Wishes to you, I may give the new Prius or the Fusion Hybrid consideration if I ever need another car, if comfort has improved.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

I do shift to neutral and inflate to sidewall pressure (44psi).
I also have an electric block heater and grill block that I use all year long.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:27 PM
Insipid Enthusiast

The NAH mpg data I entered was all from the display with the exception of 3 tanks, I believe if you factor in an aggressive error ratio of 5% it would put me somewhere around 40MPG, not way off of what you guys are getting. Remember, I had the optimum commute of 30 miles each way with opportunities to glide and draft with my psi at 46. Anyhow, I stopped posting my data at about the 1 year anniversary.
The prius only has one tank so far and it was the dealer filled tank, hand calculated was light by 1.27 mpg from the display or 2.2% again I'm not going to fuss over that because I'm not sure when the tank was filled or if it was filled short. When I got in the car it had 12 miles on it and the trip odometer read 24.9 mpg (as expected due to test drives)
Ian, I am in Howell NJ and now work in Freehold formerly in Old Bridge, I would be happy to go over your car and take a spin to see if it is any different than mine. I suspect that we get different fe due to the commutes.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:54 AM
Active Enthusiast

We have several difficulties to overcome for good MPG. The biggest is multiple drivers, as my wife drives the NAH on her daily commute and I drive it on evenings and weekends. We also have had tire issues and I believe we need new ones, but Nissan says we are ok.

The times I drive are remarkably similar to yours. We go to church in Old Bridge and shop at Raceway Mall all the time. Just two weeks ago I drove from Old Bridge to your new Sonic in Howell right down RT 9. I work in Jackson, but drive the Versa. My wife works in Piscataway, and has to drive on RT 18 through New Brunswick. This has been a construction site the entire time we have owned the car, and she often runs out of battery power with the constant stop and go.

New tires and a better commute would help, but I still don't see where we will ever hit 40 MPG.

Thanks

Old 07-30-2009, 01:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cwerdna
Do look into the Ford Fusion Hybrid as well besides another NAH.

The 2010 Prius has a TON of improvements over the previous gen.
We thought about that, but we figure that we'd be better off getting a vehicle with more cargo room.

Quick Reply: Picked up another Hybrid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands