Is Technology Package worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 04:40 PM
Enthusiast
Default Is Technology Package worthwhile?

I've become interested in purchasing a 2008 NAH. I'm about to switch jobs to one with a 25 mile highway commute each way, and my 17.9mpg RX300 isn't going to cut it anymore with $4.10 gas in the Bay Area...

Do people think the Technology package with the nav system and the hybrid energy monitor is particularly worthwhile? Is it easy to use and well integrated vis a vis the Bluetooth and the radio/ipod/cd? Does the hybrid energy monitor make any practical difference or is it really just entertainment value?

I don't need or particularly want nav or XM radio, as I listen to my iPod in the car and I know where I am going most of the time already (it's just back and forth to work after all and I have my iPhone with google maps). I can't find any great reviews relevant to the details of the nav system.

My preference would be the Connection package which has everything I want (ie Bluetooth and a CD changer with an aux port). I realize that most of the ones on the lot may have the Technology package already though.

Your two cents appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

Old 04-24-2008, 07:52 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Is Technology Package worthwhile?

Jason, I have the full tech package and I already had a hand held Garmin. As for the NAV system, I prefer my Garmin more. However, the NAV works well in the NAH. What I wanted the Tech package for was the backup camera and the energy monitor. I have driven NAH with connection package as well. I like the engery monitor as you can really see and appreicate what the computer is doing and were the power is coming from. That is if you like that sort of thing. The backup camera has helped me park and avoid backing into small objects.

This is a persoal matter and I suggest you take it out for a drive. Both versions and see which suits you. The energy monitor system is great entertainment alone on long drives and does help the driver maximize full economy. When I got into a NAH with just the connection, I felt I was just in a regular car and missed all the toys. your choice.

Last edited by JTirak; 04-25-2008 at 07:09 AM.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:12 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for your thoughts. I've never used a backup camera in a car although I hear the Altima is a little hard to see out the back. I guess it could be useful. Hmm.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

What is the connection package? Are you talking about the convenience package perhaps? I don't have the tech package, but my radio/cd player DOES have the mp3 plug in the front FWIW. But it does not have blue tooth. Seven grand on the sticker seemed like an awful lot for those toys. BTW, the non Bose radio still does quite well IMO.

Last edited by steved28; 04-25-2008 at 09:19 AM.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hello,

I have the "base' Altima hybrid and don't miss anything. You can get a stand-alone GPS with bluetooth for under $500 easily now.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

Like Ian, I have the 'base' model, and I don't miss any of the extras. The rear-view backup camera would have been nice, but I really don't have any great difficulty seeing out the rear anyway (no worse than other cars I've owned). As for the energy flow graphics, I don't miss them - the more basic instruments are perfectly adequate (if not as snazzy). To me, the Tech package looked wildly overpriced.

If you're a heavy cell-phone user, than the Connection package (or whatever has the Bluetooth feature) may be worthwhile. For me, it wasn't.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

It's the toys you want and what you can afford. I personally do like the monitoring system as it makes the car more fun to drive. The 5 minute segmented history gives you bragging rights as well as being able to know why one part of a trip has better mpg than another.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

We got the Tech package, mainly because we wanted the leather interior. My wife drives this car and she has fallen in love with the NAV system. She also likes the backup camera. I like having the XM with the traffic integrated into the NAV map, like Google Maps. It lets us know when there are going to be delays along the route we have planned without having to scroll down looking for it. However, I have yet to have the alternative routing system find any alternative routes, even when I know what they are.

I think the energy monitor has entertainment value, nothing more.

Bluetooth for the phone seems to vary with the quality of the phone you have. The connection with my Treo 755P is not as good as it is with my BT headset and it is terrible with my wife's Treo 650. I assume this would not vary regardless of which package you used.

'Hope you find this useful.

Old 04-26-2008, 12:17 PM
Insipid Enthusiast

More important than the tech package is the fact that you will be driving 25 miles on highway. If fuel economy is a big chunk of why you are buying a hybrid, you should do a cost analysis for the NAH compared to a more F Efficient Prius. Also not sure where you live but as you probably already know, cold weather and the hybirds don't mix well. I don't want to discourage you because there are other beneficial reasons to own a hybrid (the environment, performance, the look etc..), but I do not want you to be dissapointed with such a large investment when your FE expectations are not met or fall short.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheSpoils
More important than the tech package is the fact that you will be driving 25 miles on highway. If fuel economy is a big chunk of why you are buying a hybrid, you should do a cost analysis for the NAH compared to a more F Efficient Prius. Also not sure where you live but as you probably already know, cold weather and the hybirds don't mix well. I don't want to discourage you because there are other beneficial reasons to own a hybrid (the environment, performance, the look etc..), but I do not want you to be dissapointed with such a large investment when your FE expectations are not met or fall short.
I don't totally agree. While it is definetly true that the best mileage for a Hybrid is attained in warm weather, it is also true for regular cars. Indeed, all cares get their worse mileage in the colder months, but Hybrids still do better.
The rest of your advise is right on.

Quick Reply: Is Technology Package worthwhile?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands