Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

anybody had dealings with ebay motors free fraud insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)
Default anybody had dealings with ebay motors free fraud insurance?

A buddy of mine just bought a really nice looking car on ebay that was reported to be in good condition. It smoked when he first started it. By the time he got it to the mechanic the engine went clunk and died. Clearly the car is not in good condition. E-bay has insurance with a $1500 minimum claim and a $100 deductable. The car sold for about $3500. Anybody ever make a successful claim against e-bay's insurance?

Old 02-27-2006, 01:45 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: anybody had dealings with ebay motors free fraud insurance?

When I bought via Ebay it was from a dealer. Any more details about the seller and the car?

Bob Wilson

Old 03-01-2006, 12:00 PM

The car is in really nice shape other than the engine is completely shot. I believe that the seller was some little old lady up north. She seems really nice to the buyers. When it was just the matter of a little smoke the buyers assumed the lady just didn't see the smoke but when the whole thing went kaput they are not so sure anymore.

Old 03-02-2006, 02:20 PM
Engineering first

You were not the buyer?

Any diagnosis on the engine? Rods and bearings?

Old 03-03-2006, 06:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

I won two cars on ebay. The first one I flew to Florida to pick up and drive home. When I got there, the car barely started and would not idle. I told the seller that he misrepresented the car and I flew home the next day after sitting at the airport for 22 hours. The seller filed non paying bidder to get back his fees. No negative for me whatsoever. The second car i won was a great deal. It is the del sol that I drive today.

Did your friend test drive it before paying? In the same situation as you have described, I would have walked away from the deal. The vehicle was clearly misrepresented. Intentionally or unintentionally. I have found that little old ladies are not always what they seem.

Old 03-03-2006, 06:15 PM

I'm not the buyer.

Update:

The dealership has determined a new engine is in order and wants over $6k to put one in. It looks like eBay is willing to refund up to the entire amount of the purchase plus shipping less $100. While this seems pretty good (a lot better than nothing), my buddy is still quite unhappy. He also has the cost of tax and tags plus he is still going to needing to find another car. Since eBay is refunding the entire amount of the purchase (less the 100) they are taking the car back.