Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Cars (The Movie)

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 09:36 PM
Banned
Default Cars (The Movie)

I can't believe I'm pegging this "off topic".

It's well worth seeing and like classic cartoons, it has a kid's level and an Adult level (famous people's voices....).

I often drive from Dallas to Colorado on US Hwy 287, and believe me, there are plenty of ghost towns like the one in the movie, esp. between Wichta Falls and Amarillo, Texas.

Best line: "Are you driving to make good time, or driving to have a good time?"

Best cameo appearance: An appeal to rescue the hero "at all costs" by the Governor of Kalifornia

I could get in trouble for this next remark: I thought of Leahbeetle as the attorney - probably would have done the same thing....

Like the tire brandname: Lightyear (but that's another Pixar film.... )

Question: Early in the movie, did I hear Click and Clack of "Caaar Talk?"

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 06-19-2006 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:24 AM
Go Army!
Default Re: Cars (The Movie)

Yes, they're Lightning McQueen's sponsors, Rusty and Dusty Rust-Eze.

Two thumbs up for the movie -- one from me, one from my 4-year old son.

Old 06-20-2006, 11:31 AM
Hybrid True Believer

I haven't seen the film, but are any of the anthropomorphic vehicles hybrids by any chance? A cartoony hybrid could maybe zap people or leave a trailing wake of electrical sparks where ever it drives.

Old 06-20-2006, 11:37 AM
Banned

Unfortunately, no hybrids.

Old 06-20-2006, 07:35 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
I can't believe I'm pegging this "off topic".
All movies should be placed off-topic. I haven't seen it yet, the wife was confused why we went to "An Inconvenient Truth" instead of "Cars" last weekend.

I often drive from Dallas to Colorado on US Hwy 287, and believe me, there are plenty of ghost towns like the one in the movie, esp. between Wichta Falls and Amarillo, Texas.
I know that drive a little. I lived in Garden City Kansas for 3 years in the late 80's and made that drive twice visiting my best friend since the 3rd grade who believe it or not lives in Lewisville TX. High Meadow Court if you know where that is. I'd have to say there are a few highways from Garden City that are more ghost towny and barren than 287 though. 83 from Garden to Perryton TX, yeah there's Liberal KS but that place scares me. Perryton to Pampa 58 miles of NOTHING, Perryton to Childress, nothing but I-40 for 150 miles. My favorite was 156 from Larned KS to Garden. You see the 100 mile marker as you leave Larned towards Garden and 156 ends at Garden with literally nothing in between. Burdett, Jetmore, and Kalvesta are on the map but they really don't exist.

Back to the movie, on the preview I see there's a Hudson Hornet. My stepgrandfather was always a Hornet nut always going on about how the Hornet with the Straight-8 ruled nascar in the early 50s. He ended up working at the AMC plant in Kenosha, WI where the Hornets were made up until 1957. He was there in the 60s and talks about putting fenders on Javelins. My father-in-law on the other hand was a Kaiser fan. Get those 2 together and they'll go on all day about why Kaisers and Hudsons were clearly superior to anything else available in 1953.

I'll give my review monday most likely.

Last edited by worthywads; 06-20-2006 at 07:37 PM.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:50 AM
Vegetarian

Yes, that was my favorite part. I thought the riced out cars were funny too.

Ka-chow!

Old 06-21-2006, 12:12 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

I thought it was a great movie - took the family for Father's Day.

I really like the #43 "King" car and the scene where the #8 car rolled by and told him how much he admired him. Kudos to the writers for the nod to the Earnhardt family.

The end of the movie (during credits) was priceless too.

Old 06-21-2006, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Tim
I thought it was a great movie - took the family for Father's Day.

I really like the #43 "King" car and the scene where the #8 car rolled by and told him how much he admired him. Kudos to the writers for the nod to the Earnhardt family.

The end of the movie (during credits) was priceless too.
I haven't seen the movie yet so I may be misunderstanding what you're saying but for what it's worth #43 "The King" is Richard Petty as a Blue 1970 Plymouth Roadrunner Superbird. Here's a shot of the real deal back in the day.

Old 06-21-2006, 04:48 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Originally Posted by worthywads
I haven't seen the movie yet so I may be misunderstanding what you're saying but for what it's worth #43 "The King" is Richard Petty as a Blue 1970 Plymouth Roadrunner Superbird. Here's a shot of the real deal back in the day.
Curse my lack of NASCAR knowledge. Sorry for the error. I must have got turned around on who #43 was. Why I have this vision of Earnhardt as #43...Sorry to all the NASCAR fans for committing the kind of huge blunder that would no doubt get me tared and feathered in some states... I just looked it up - Earnhardt was 3, not 43. So I got the 3 right. But I got Junior right as the #8 car, who was the car that passed him by and paid his respects.

Old 06-21-2006, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Tim
Curse my lack of NASCAR knowledge. Sorry for the error. I must have got turned around on who #43 was. Why I have this vision of Earnhardt as #43...Sorry to all the NASCAR fans for committing the kind of huge blunder that would no doubt get me tared and feathered in some states... I just looked it up - Earnhardt was 3, not 43. So I got the 3 right. But I got Junior right as the #8 car, who was the car that passed him by and paid his respects.
If it's any consolation #43 Richard Petty is the only nascar driver I know by number.

Quick Reply: Cars (The Movie)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands