Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

College Admittance Decisions

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 03:41 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jason
Oh? How'd you like it? I'm feeling confident about that admission... my interview went very well. It's so COOOOLD, though!

Just found out my cousin got into Emory ED.
Wash U. worked out pretty well for us. If you get a good aid package I would strongly consider it. Name recognition is a minor annoyance but getting better with time.

Old 01-13-2005, 04:51 PM
Site Founder

Name recognition is surely better than Rice! That's where my dad went, and it's a top school, but no one except Texans have heard of it.

I won't get any need-based aid from colleges, but I've applied for the Entrepreneurial Scholars Program at WashU. $3k annually, though it barely makes a dent in the cost of the school (Not even 10%)

Old 01-14-2005, 12:16 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

the deadline is the 15th. i hope i don't get in

Old 01-15-2005, 08:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

Name recognition is surely better than Rice! That's where my dad went, and it's a top school, but no one except Texans have heard of it.

I won't get any need-based aid from colleges, but I've applied for the Entrepreneurial Scholars Program at WashU. $3k annually, though it barely makes a dent in the cost of the school (Not even 10%)
Where does your dad live? In general I think Rice has better name recognition than Wash U. Part of the problem is the whole "state vs. DC" question.

I got only 6-7K subsidy when I was at Wash U., but tuition was far cheaper then. It was expensive, but now it is like 30K right?

The problem with paying full is that you will be one of the few who is doing so. Basically, you will be paying for someone else's education since they will go for 1/2 price or less.

Unless your parents are super rich, I would urge you to apply for aid.

Old 01-15-2005, 11:55 AM
Site Founder

blueskies,

I think WashU is in the 40k's now. Pricey, pricey. If I could get aid, I'd apply, but there really is no way. My father is a successful radiologist and while he isn't a billionaire, he makes enough that no one would flip a dime our way.

Old 01-15-2005, 01:21 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I supplied everything yesterday to wash u... why should I go there again?

Old 01-15-2005, 02:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

blueskies,

I think WashU is in the 40k's now. Pricey, pricey. If I could get aid, I'd apply, but there really is no way. My father is a successful radiologist and while he isn't a billionaire, he makes enough that no one would flip a dime our way.
I guess I think about it nowadays b/c I have a young daughter. I'm not really sure if college anywhere is worth 40K/year.

Old 01-15-2005, 02:38 PM
Site Founder

Well, it depends what you do. If your only goal is to make millions, the $160k you spend on undergraduate is just foam. The best schools aren't cheap, though.

Old 01-15-2005, 09:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well, it depends what you do. If your only goal is to make millions, the $160k you spend on undergraduate is just foam. The best schools aren't cheap, though.
Yes but the are proportionally much more expensive than they used to be. If college tuition rose at the rate of inflation I could understand. But they rise at 8% per year. And spending 160K on college in no way guarantees a payoff of millions.

Basically, the top schools give financial aid to 75% of their students and the oter 25% pay full tuition.

Old 01-16-2005, 11:45 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Yah...school costs are absurd out of state. I'm glad we have a great one in Atlanta (that'd be Georgia Tech).Still havent heard, but the letter should com soon.

Quick Reply: College Admittance Decisions

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands