Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Gay Rights

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 03:23 PM
Site Founder

After reading a FoxNews article that included this website: http://virginiaisforhaters.org , I noticed a certain parallel between the current gay rights struggle and the slave rights/lack thereof in the 1800's. Is it just me, or in both cases aren't states seeking to invalidate the laws of other states, therefore declaring jurisdiction over their boundaries?

To be more specific, Virginia has declared:
A civil union, partnership contract or other arrangement between persons of the same sex purporting to bestow the privileges or obligations of marriage is prohibited. Any such civil union, partnership contract or other arrangement entered into by persons of the same sex in another state or jurisdiction shall be void in all respects in Virginia and any contractual rights created thereby shall be void and unenforceable.

Old 06-12-2004, 05:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

Jason,

It is a the same type of issue. Equality should be for everyone. There are over a 1,000 different rights that are denied to Gay, Lesbian and transgender people because they do not have the right to marry or have any type of union.

For example, if you are married and your wife is in the hospital, you have the right to make medical decisions and have visitation rights. This does not apply to Gay, Lesbian and Transgender people. They can be denied to see the one he or she loves in the hospital.

Old 06-12-2004, 07:58 PM
Site Founder

Wasn't exactly where I was going with this, but okay

Old 06-12-2004, 08:55 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Helo all,
I'm personally glad Virginia did that...atleast i know i have SOMEWERE to go.
Cheers,
Steven

*Edit, please disreagard this statement.

Old 06-12-2004, 09:00 PM
Site Founder

Definitely not the way I wanted this thread to go. No, I don't want to censor ya'll. But religious controversial flamewars are off limits. This was about parallels, remember?

Old 06-12-2004, 09:22 PM

Jason,
Parallels, yes i think so, but states only trying to prove juristiction over their soil i think not. I think that slave/gay issues were/are a strong value question.
Cheers,
Steven

Old 06-12-2004, 09:37 PM
Site Founder

Value? Not talking about value here.

Virginia has declared that gay marriages granted in other states are not legal in their own. That's basically nullifying marriage in other states because it isn't really marriage anymore. Don't you think it would be crazy that peoplewould have to plan their vacation based on whether or not they'd be legally married in the specific states?

Old 06-13-2004, 09:41 AM
Banned

I knew there was a reason I hated Virginia. Next time I visit DC, I'll make sure I stay at hotel in the district. Hard to imagine there is still so much hate out there.

Old 06-13-2004, 04:03 PM

I didn't follow the link at the top of the thread that Jason provided given the URL name, as a propaganda site "Virginia is for haters."

That is, if you disagree with someone's agenda you are a hate filled person.

I am all for what Virginia has done and hope Georgia does the same- and I don't hate anyone.
The states providing gay licenses have done well to push in an attempt to force people to accept the public lifestyle. The problem here is caused by the issuing states, NOT Virginia.

Perhaps the 1,000 gay rights issues could be resolved in a different manner without attempting to destroy the traditional union.

Outlawing it in Virginia doesn't nullify it in the state it was issued.
A better parallel I think is the states that issue drivers licenses to illegal aliens and the other states that don't recognize such a license. They can still drive in the issued state.
In that case I'm also on the side for the states that don't recognize the license.

Jason- I agree with the need to avoid religious flame wars here, and I am not a religious person but have a deep faith.... and for alot of us the gay agenda is a clash.
Notice I didn't say gay people, just groups trying to force acceptance on others.
Marriage has always been man-woman union, but now we are trying to be forced to accept man-man or woman-woman. Not sure what will be forced to accept next, one can only speculate. Are we in a world where anything goes....and if you don't agree are you hate- filled?

Old 06-13-2004, 05:03 PM
Site Founder

Well, I'm not necessarily advocating the parody of "Virginia is for Haters." I'm also not saying that the struggle for equality is the same for gays as it was for slaves. However, the issue of states refusing the recognize what other states have achieved (ie marriage) shows strong connection to the controversy 150 years ago about Southern states passing laws saying that slaves in any state ought be brought back to the state of origin. Virginia now passes a law that says marriage authorized in another state is not recognized. And, yes, this does also connect to illegal alien driving.

For this reason, I think gay marriage is a national issue. Things like this drive a country apart. Do I see both sides? Absolutely. I think a compromise in order. Perhaps not use the word "marriage," but civil unions with legal rights for a couple is possible.

Quick Reply: Gay Rights

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands