Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Ignorant Voting

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 05:13 PM
Site Founder

Here's an 11th hour plea to those who are voting tomorrow:

If you don't know the issues...
If you don't know the men...
If you only know what you've heard from a friend
or a family member
or a TV show host...
Don't vote.

It really scares me how many people are walking around with candidates' buttons, but when asked why they support him reply, "I don't know."

'Get out and vote' efforts, I believe, are dangerous. They encourage people to vote without informing them of what they're voting _for_. These people are influenced by Kerry's LiveStrong bracelet or Bush's religious nature. They allow politicians to appeal to the shallow and nearsighted who have no comprehension for the long-term consequences of their actions.

MTV has a huge Choose or Loose campaign that ostensibly just wants young voters to have more say in national politics. I find it ironic that during the presidential debates, they showed some episodes of The Real World. Not once do they actually talk about the issues. And, I'm sure they don't know that young voters tend to swing liberal, right? <_<

A friend of mine was wearing a John Kerry button this week. I asked her why she supports him. She said to ask her brother, because she's not sure.

Don't know the issues? Don't vote.
Please.

Old 11-01-2004, 07:46 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I can't agree more.

For some, get out the vote means handing a sandwitch to a hungry "outdoorsman" only for exhange of his registration and paticular vote, or the same deal to drug users.

Many people that I work with know little about the candidates, only that they have been told "Anybody but Bush".
Many reference a movie that was directed and produced by an individual who in the past 10 years or so has spent his time in London, Germany and other foreign countries telling the people how America is evil & imperialist among other things.

It amazes me how he can produce a political movie and pass it all of as fact and the people believe it. But I suppose most of the people who believe it were likely not going to vote Bush anyway.
I became "politcally aware" back in the Regan days.
I didn't vote for him because they were telling me that Regan only desired to start a nuclear war with the Soviet Union. A vote for him would mean certain and complete destruction. There was no good intention in him.
They also told me that a vote for Regan meant senior citizens would be tossed out on the street, loose all of their social security and a draft would come because of his nuclear war.

Well I remember being extremely concerned when Regan won and expected the worst.
I learned well from my mistake and now I hold Regan as one of the greatest.

It's still the same rhetoric election after election....they say seniors will loose everything they have, social security will be stopped, the desire to starve children, the draft etc.
Now they have the far left producing full length Hollywood political statements.
This is from the same party that promotes massive vote fraud and threatens and intimidates the media from displaying an opposite view.

I've asked many "anybody but Bush" people at work and nobody could name the secretary of state, etc. Out of about 20 people only 2 could name the vice president.
I can imagine these are the target people who will be bussed to the poles tomorrow.

Ok,....sorry..... I'll get off my soap box now.

Old 11-02-2004, 12:44 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi All:

___I am sure we have all made up our minds or have already voted on the big races but the local and state levels are a bit tougher. With that, there is any number of online resources for you to use to find, learn, and choose your own best candidates. I come from the 8th congressional district here in Illinois and with that, 7/8’s of the Chicago Tribunes Endorsements are on my to vote for list. I will be leaving for the polls in about 45 minutes.

___Anyway, there are reasons I do not like Kerry being the Democratic party’s candidate but “ABB” is about as close to the truth in my own voice as one could imagine. I voted for Reagan, Bush, Perot, and then Gore in past elections. Now more then ever, my son’s future is at stake in terms of US financial ruin and I am **** sure having my voice with a single vote stating that trillion dollar bi-annual deficits is not how the US is to become a stronger nation in the future. Where is Perot’s charts and graphs when this country needs them most!!!! 1,000 + dead and counting as well as 11,000 + wounded for 2,700 dead, and a much smaller number of wounded. 1 Trillion of our nations savings spent on tax cuts, a war with no outcome, and whatever else they decided to spend it on in the last 4 years with no end in sight. If you want to cover up a recession, spend $500,000,000,000 more then you earned and I am sure you will be much happier. Unfortunately, my son and his sons will be paying for this party forever and it pisses me off. If the US were listed on any US based stock exchange, it would be delisted within seconds given its absolutely stunning means of creative accounting. We need Kenneth Lay, Andrew Fastow, and Jeff Skilling to run the US finances as we would be in much better shape then what the Republican congress and administration have done to them in the last 4 years.

___Good Luck to us all.

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands