Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

No Car for a Day - 4 Stories

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 08:30 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default No Car for a Day - 4 Stories

Very interesting little story about 4 reporters who "gave up their car for a day" and wrote about their experiences.

http://hub.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...90318/1104/hub

Old 10-21-2005, 09:58 AM
Brains of the Operation
Default Re: No Car for a Day - 4 Stories

What's the common thread in all their stories? "It was so hard", "I'm out of shape", "It just made me appreciate my car more." Poignant commentary on the current state of our society, if you ask me. Just a few decades ago, every single person in the US didn't have a car or three. People walked more. Bicycles were for transportation, and not for collecting dust in a storage closet or the occasional recreational jaunt. Though I have a super-efficient hybrid car to get around town and make road trips, my commute to my lab every day is only two or so miles, and you'd better believe I bike in, rain or shine. I'm not necessarily in athletic shape, but I think if you bike a few miles every day, you won't find yourself huffing and puffing after just a block or two like these folks did.

You know, there isn't a single vehicle ever made that can beat a bike in gas mileage.

Old 10-21-2005, 10:07 AM
dcf
Enthusiast

ok - what bike do you ride? (myself: specialized sirrus comp)

Old 10-21-2005, 10:11 AM

In a couple of years, when I get out from under some debt, I'm buying a Segway.

I'll drive the 5 miles in my HCH to take my kids to their school, then park the HCH in the school's remote parking lot, take my Segway out of the trunk, and ride it the remaining 4 miles to my job.

It's a brilliant plan, and I can't wait to get started with it !!

Old 10-21-2005, 12:29 PM
World's First Hybrid

Originally Posted by Civic Duty
What's the common thread in all their stories? "It was so hard", "I'm out of shape", "It just made me appreciate my car more." Poignant commentary on the current state of our society, if you ask me. Just a few decades ago, every single person in the US didn't have a car or three. People walked more. Bicycles were for transportation, and not for collecting dust in a storage closet or the occasional recreational jaunt. Though I have a super-efficient hybrid car to get around town and make road trips, my commute to my lab every day is only two or so miles, and you'd better believe I bike in, rain or shine. I'm not necessarily in athletic shape, but I think if you bike a few miles every day, you won't find yourself huffing and puffing after just a block or two like these folks did.

You know, there isn't a single vehicle ever made that can beat a bike in gas mileage.
Good job, 1 mile biked = ~ 30 Kcal burned by the bod....so your 4 mile round trip = ~ 120 Kcal which is about = to 1 mile walked/jogged...I used to ride to work most days but now I'm just getting fat and lazy...only the occasional recreational jaunt these days...got to get off my butt....

Old 10-21-2005, 12:42 PM
Vegetarian

being a student it's real easy for me to go without my car for days at a time. my school has shuttle buses, and a few of my classes are close enough to walk to... but i don't walk because it takes to long and i end up getting to class all gross and sweaty. like the people in the article i could stand to work out. if i had i bike i'd take it. i'd be afraid someone would steal it though. it'd be nice to have a bike here.

Old 10-21-2005, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by lars-ss
In a couple of years, when I get out from under some debt, I'm buying a Segway.

I'll drive the 5 miles in my HCH to take my kids to their school, then park the HCH in the school's remote parking lot, take my Segway out of the trunk, and ride it the remaining 4 miles to my job.

It's a brilliant plan, and I can't wait to get started with it !!
why segway? why not just bike the rest of the way?