Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

"Scotty" Beamed Up

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 11:11 AM
Banned
Unhappy "Scotty" Beamed Up

James Doohan - "Scotty" of the original Star Trek died today from complications of Alzheimers. He was 85.

CNN Story

I've wanted to install sound effect that activate as I'm reving up the Insight:
  • The overwhelming transmission hum as the Starship Enterprise is almost redlining.<
  • Scotty pleading "If we keep up this speed, we'll blow up any minute now" as my Insight redlines. <

Old 07-20-2005, 03:44 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: "Scotty" Beamed Up

Hi Delta_Flyer:

___”Scotty” (James Doohan) was my favorite TV/Movie character of his time. Even ahead of my second all-time favorite actor, Jimmy Stewart! I will miss him indeed. I wonder how many children in this country strived or were enticed to become an engineer due to James’ character on Star Trek? I know he was one of my influences …

___A running joke that my youngest (his name is Scotty too, imagine that!) hears more then he cares to is “We need more power” in my own rather atrocious rendition using a Scottish accent. My son is pretty sick of that now but it always has and will far into the future; bring a smile to my face.

___Good Luck and God Speed James Doohan.

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 07-20-2005, 03:52 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: "Scotty" Beamed Up

My dittos for Wayne's sentiments - his was a great, memorable TV character whose legacy spanned multiple generations.....RIP "Scotty"

Old 07-20-2005, 04:38 PM
G.H. Contributor
Post Re: "Scotty" Beamed Up

I think I am getting older.

Goodbye "Scotty" and rest in Peace:

Terry

Old 07-20-2005, 05:08 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Unhappy Re: "Scotty" Beamed Up

James Doohan is probably one of the best remembered and regarded members of the original Star Trek cast. In all the years I have been a Star Trek fan and have followed Star Trek lore, he was regarded as the kindest, most patient and most fan friendly of the actors in the series. Instead of trying to fight the type cast, he embraced it.

I'm sorry to hear of his passing. He will be fondly remembered by many. His contribution to modern entertainment will never be forgotten. Once you are on film or TV you are immortalized for all to remember.

I wish his family the best in this trying time.

Goodbye "Scotty".