Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Troll: feeding Msantos

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 08:43 PM
Engineering first
Default Troll: feeding Msantos

Recently I was posting how to backup one's mileage database records when I ran into:
Originally Posted by Wiki
An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the intention of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.
Now one of the golden rules is "don't feed the troll" and that remains the case today. But sometimes it is cathartic to reply in kind but not in someone else's house. For this, the "Anything goes" forum will do:
Originally Posted by Msantos
Bob, if there is one thing I like about CleanMPG "ego" is certainly not the one that comes to mind. Many here at PC are also CleanMPG members and these fine folks are anything but ego driven.

If anything, they are the least single minded and some of the nicest and most generous people I've had the pleasure to deal with.
No, it is just you and your trollish behavior. It reminds of "Monty Python and the Holy Grail:"

Frankly, if you are an honest person,
Really? Gosh darn, I am shocked, shocked to hear that there is any doubt from such an example and representative of these "fine folks" as yourself.
. . . then you absolutely need to disclose something important to the PriusChat community:
The practice of a troll is to hijack a thread, to drive it away from the original subject and change it into a quarrel ... a public quarrel if possible. Well here is a nice place for a fine, multiple course meal, enjoy. But trolling is theft by any other name and not what we associate with "fine folks" such as yourself.
That you have a long standing disdain and contempt for CleanMPG, its mission and accomplishments. That much is evident to many of us.
Since it is so self-evident, you simply had to practice a troll's trick and try to hijack a thread by this nonsense. But since I'm serving a multiple course meal for the troll, let's start with the Wiki definition of a cult:
  • A movement that separates itself from society, either geographically or socially - Eileen Barker; Adherents who become increasingly dependent on the movement for their view on reality - Eileen Barker
  • Making sharp distinctions between us and them ... that are not open for discussion - Eileen Barker; The persecuted chosen - Canadian Security Intelligence Service; Exclusivity - "we are right and everyone else is wrong" - Shirley Harrison
  • Actions by Authorities [show rjw] lack of comprehension - Canadian Security Intelligence Service; The organization is willing to place itself above the law - James R. Lewis
  • A powerful leader who claims ... special mission - Shirley Harrison; Provide an authority figure that everyone seems to acknowledge as having some special skill or awareness - Steve Eichel
  • Deceptive recruitment - Shirley Harrison; Promise instant or imminent solutions to deep or long-term problems - Steve Eichel
  • The leader sets forth ethical guidelines members must follow but from which the leader is exempt - James R. Lewis; The leader regularly makes public assertions that he or she knows is false and/or the group has a policy of routinely deceiving outsiders - James R. Lewis
So in January 2006 after Jason sold GreenHybrid.com, there was a separation led by the leader of CleanMPG. There remains a sharp distinction between CleanMPG advocates and everyone else to the point that civil discussions in other forums really doesn't happen. So you' all finally decided that tailgating semi-trailer trucks is bad but turning off engines in traffic is OK? Then there is "Eco Driving," the response to "hypermiling" by both California and AAA. The leader who last I knew, still owns no hybrid and of course the "fine folks" who until this last year were using inflated claims to lure in CleanMPG membership.
Of course their practices have a whole lot to do with vehicle performance baselines.
In this all I have to do is point my "lying eyes" on the CleanMPG mileage database. My 'lying eyes' see no baseline performance in CleanMPG but just a straight list of individual records tagged with a "Status" titles such as:
  • Expert
  • Skilled
  • Elite
This was the egotistical nonsense I had seen a year and a half ago, the last time I looked. I'm not surprised that it remains true today. That is not a database but a list of 'bowling trophies' and just as useless.
If fact, these practices account for the proverbial missing half that every true career engineer knows and appreciates. If that was not the case then why even have a hybrid specific human interface in the form of information displays? Decorative stuff added to justify the hybrid premium?? And if these are built into the cars then what problem do you have when some in the community work on maximizing the man-machine combination?
A typical troll uses insults, "true career engineer," as well as false choices. It is a shame because it means there is little or no chance of a civil dialog. When and if you are ever able to pose something we can discuss, I look forward to the dialog. Perhaps you might find something in the Prius FAQ?
That, heavily promoting hybrids and also extending the concept to the other 95% of the driving public regardless of what they drive, is what CleanMPG is all about.
So the staff and moderators at CleanMPG own their own hybrids or do some of them just borrow or rent them for driving stunts? Consistency means walking the walk and putting vehicle ownership money where their mouth is. But again, our 'lying eyes' notice that your "fine folks" mileage database includes non-hybrids. That is promoting hybrids?
Also hard to deny, is that you and other moderators actively hunted and purged GH out of people who were even remotely sympathetic to CleanMPG's mission. Many excuses were given for deleting posts and suppressing community oriented information but after all was said and done, GH is now where you folks wanted it to be all along. Quite an accomplishment indeed.
Deny, heck I'm quite happy about the CleanMPG crowd leaving GreenHybrid instead of abusing our forums to troll for members. CleanMPG has always been welcome to be like any other contributing member and bring value to GreenHybrid. But SPAM is when someone, anyone, attempts to sell or promote their business in user forums without bringing value. An internet forum is not a suicide pact and abusers should find other playgrounds.

I can only hope Danny will recognize and reject the kind of fundamental and narrow minded mediocrity that sank GH, to infect PriusChat.
Ironically we both agree that "fundamental and narrow minded mediocrity" may someday need to be banned. But it would be easier if you would just stop logging in.

Again from Wiki:
Originally Posted by Wiki
Trolling is a game about identity deception, albeit one that is played without the consent of most of the players. The troll attempts to pass as a legitimate participant, sharing the group's common interests and concerns; the newsgroups members, if they are cognizant of trolls and other identity deceptions, attempt to both distinguish real from trolling postings, and upon judging a poster a troll, make the offending poster leave the group. Their success at the former depends on how well they — and the troll — understand identity cues; their success at the latter depends on whether the troll's enjoyment is sufficiently diminished or outweighed by the costs imposed by the group.

Trolls can be costly in several ways. A troll can disrupt the discussion on a newsgroup, disseminate bad advice, and damage the feeling of trust in the newsgroup community. Furthermore, in a group that has become sensitized to trolling — where the rate of deception is high — many honestly naïve questions may be quickly rejected as trollings. . . .
This is why I've replied here. We can discuss your trollish behavior without disrupting other groups. The other alternative was to take it to "Fred's House of Pancakes" but you know, I don't troll ... but don't let my ethics and respect for other forums impede your efforts. <GRINS>
In fact, I appreciate the apparent efforts at PriusChat to accommodate hypermiling as yet another viable facet of hybrid ownership enjoyment.

. . .

Whether the suggestion is genuine or simply a means to sell more scangauges, It is definitely not without universal benefits for all PC members who care.
What? What? You mean they may not be selling advertising space? I'm shocked! <grins>

The PriusChat folks are of course free to pursue their business model and I wish them well.
Anyway, like others have stated, if PriusChat is to ever have a good mileage database then CleanMPG is a good template to start with.
Selecting a mileage database is a question of requirements, the goals and objectives. The requirements should dictate the design and implementation. But that doesn't excuse your trollish behavior.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 03-15-2009 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Clarification of forum abuse, SPAM by another name, and a petard.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:03 PM
Energy Independence
Default Re: Troll: feeding Msantos

Bob, did ANY of this happen over here at GreenHybrid?
If not, why post this rant here?

Old 03-16-2009, 11:54 PM
Engineering first

Hi Steve,
Originally Posted by gumby
Bob, did ANY of this happen over here at GreenHybrid?
If not, why post this rant here?
It didn't happen here but the problem was how to deal with Msantos trollish posting. Now I could have replied in the original thread and that would have been exactly what the troll wants. Think of them as sociopaths with no interest in the community versus their instantanious personal desires. That was exactly what we were faced with.

My first response was to send a note to the moderators citing his attack on my honesty. Ordinarily a personal attack is enough to get the posting moved or quieted down. But that didn't happen. So we had a damaged thread terminated in the rantings of a sociopath.

So I reposted my original posting in that thread with the troll's opinion about CleanMPG to get the thread back on subject. A moderator came in later and trimmed out redundant text, which I agree with. Regardless, the thread returned to the original subject and the troll lost.

BTW, I did consider posting my reply in the equivalent to "Anything goes" called "Freds House of Pancakes." But you know, the troll's attack was not just on me but also the civility of the other forum. There was no reason to 'trash' another site's relative peace for a quarrel that he has with me or the GreenHybrid team.

I then posted my detailed response here, in "Anything goes." One thing I know for sure is the troll would rather walk on hot coals than come back to GreenHybrid.com. His personal animus and lack of self discipline knows no bounds. Yet somehow, I suspect he has managed to read this posting anyway. Perfect revenge for getting me to look again at the CleanMPG "database" after a year and a half.

I've had to deal with SPAMmers, trolls and telemarketers (on Friday a cell phone call for one of those bogus car warranty scams.) But I've come to realize the only thing that works is to stand up to them in a way the forces them in a corner they don't want to be in. A chess player, I happen to have some skills in that department. After all, it is better to give an ulcer than receive and sometimes a little fun. <grins>

Will the trolls follow me back here? I doubt it but you never know. But frankly I hope they 'get a clue by four.' I hope they will just leave me and my friends alone ... but sociopaths seldom work that way.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 03-17-2009 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:18 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Few people bother to discuss Honda Civic, unless they're modding/racer and/or young. Much less the hybrid version. It's a reliable and efficient car that doesn't need all the hand-holding. He kept discussion traffic artificially high and now I know why.

In the absence of testing and sampling from others, "Tarabell"'s essay (hosted you-know-where) was treated like the fricken' Bible, and criticism of the safety of "hypermiling" was disregarded. Your car isn't performing like it should? Go read "Tarabell"'s essay. That's the first thing you must do . . .

Old 03-18-2009, 03:00 AM
Engineering first

I'd started to bemoan Msantos but you know, it quickly becomes a waste of time. My real interest is a good, total cost of ownership database and that remains, after three years, quite elusive.

There is a model for a good database, one that would certainly attract my participation:Regardless of the vehicle, they follow this pattern:
  • Baseline Performance (HEV America) Testing PDF 362kB
  • Fleet Testing Fuel Economy ( PDF 16kB)
  • Fleet Testing & Maintenance Fact Sheets for the following vehicles:
    • VIN: 8122: Maintenance History (PDF 41kB)
    • VIN: 3344: Maintenance History (PDF 40kB)
Cost of ownership is more than just miles per gallon but also includes everything from purchase to subsequent used vehicle sale, insurance and maintenance. Sad to say, none of the online mileage database address these important cost issues and that is a shame.

What is maddening is finding parts of the database at different web sites but they are not integrated. For example, consumer product safety has user reported maintenance problems; the EPA has a mileage database and; Ebay provides daily purchase and sales prices.

It is also maddening that Consumer Reports has internal processes to track vehicle life-cycle costs but they haven't opened it up to their members. They even send out an annual membership survey but have yet to step over the line from paper to web and make it a service, even for fee, to their members. <grumble grumble grumble>

Well I'm off to work. Chat at you later.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 03-18-2009 at 03:09 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:05 AM
MPG nut

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Recently I was posting how to backup one's mileage database records when I ran into:

Now one of the golden rules is "don't feed the troll" and that remains the case today. But sometimes it is cathartic to reply in kind but not in someone else's house. For this, the "Anything goes" forum will do:

No, it is just you and your trollish behavior. It reminds of "Monty Python and the Holy Grail:"

Really? Gosh darn, I am shocked, shocked to hear that there is any doubt from such an example and representative of these "fine folks" as yourself.

The practice of a troll is to hijack a thread, to drive it away from the original subject and change it into a quarrel ... a public quarrel if possible. Well here is a nice place for a fine, multiple course meal, enjoy. But trolling is theft by any other name and not what we associate with "fine folks" such as yourself.

Since it is so self-evident, you simply had to practice a troll's trick and try to hijack a thread by this nonsense. But since I'm serving a multiple course meal for the troll, let's start with the Wiki definition of a cult:
  • A movement that separates itself from society, either geographically or socially - Eileen Barker; Adherents who become increasingly dependent on the movement for their view on reality - Eileen Barker
  • Making sharp distinctions between us and them ... that are not open for discussion - Eileen Barker; The persecuted chosen - Canadian Security Intelligence Service; Exclusivity - "we are right and everyone else is wrong" - Shirley Harrison
  • Actions by Authorities [show rjw] lack of comprehension - Canadian Security Intelligence Service; The organization is willing to place itself above the law - James R. Lewis
  • A powerful leader who claims ... special mission - Shirley Harrison; Provide an authority figure that everyone seems to acknowledge as having some special skill or awareness - Steve Eichel
  • Deceptive recruitment - Shirley Harrison; Promise instant or imminent solutions to deep or long-term problems - Steve Eichel
  • The leader sets forth ethical guidelines members must follow but from which the leader is exempt - James R. Lewis; The leader regularly makes public assertions that he or she knows is false and/or the group has a policy of routinely deceiving outsiders - James R. Lewis
So in January 2006 after Jason sold GreenHybrid.com, there was a separation led by the leader of CleanMPG. There remains a sharp distinction between CleanMPG advocates and everyone else to the point that civil discussions in other forums really doesn't happen. So you' all finally decided that tailgating semi-trailer trucks is bad but turning off engines in traffic is OK? Then there is "Eco Driving," the response to "hypermiling" by both California and AAA. The leader who last I knew, still owns no hybrid and of course the "fine folks" who until this last year were using inflated claims to lure in CleanMPG membership.

In this all I have to do is point my "lying eyes" on the CleanMPG mileage database. My 'lying eyes' see no baseline performance in CleanMPG but just a straight list of individual records tagged with a "Status" titles such as:
  • Expert
  • Skilled
  • Elite
This was the egotistical nonsense I had seen a year and a half ago, the last time I looked. I'm not surprised that it remains true today. That is not a database but a list of 'bowling trophies' and just as useless.

A typical troll uses insults, "true career engineer," as well as false choices. It is a shame because it means there is little or no chance of a civil dialog. When and if you are ever able to pose something we can discuss, I look forward to the dialog. Perhaps you might find something in the Prius FAQ?

So the staff and moderators at CleanMPG own their own hybrids or do some of them just borrow or rent them for driving stunts? Consistency means walking the walk and putting vehicle ownership money where their mouth is. But again, our 'lying eyes' notice that your "fine folks" mileage database includes non-hybrids. That is promoting hybrids?

Deny, heck I'm quite happy about the CleanMPG crowd leaving GreenHybrid instead of abusing our forums to troll for members. CleanMPG has always been welcome to be like any other contributing member and bring value to GreenHybrid. But SPAM is when someone, anyone, attempts to sell or promote their business in user forums without bringing value. An internet forum is not a suicide pact and abusers should find other playgrounds.

Ironically we both agree that "fundamental and narrow minded mediocrity" may someday need to be banned. But it would be easier if you would just stop logging in.

Again from Wiki:

This is why I've replied here. We can discuss your trollish behavior without disrupting other groups. The other alternative was to take it to "Fred's House of Pancakes" but you know, I don't troll ... but don't let my ethics and respect for other forums impede your efforts. <GRINS>

What? What? You mean they may not be selling advertising space? I'm shocked! <grins>

The PriusChat folks are of course free to pursue their business model and I wish them well.

Selecting a mileage database is a question of requirements, the goals and objectives. The requirements should dictate the design and implementation. But that doesn't excuse your trollish behavior.

Bob Wilson
I suppose this response will get me severely punished but, if it does, then so be it. The preceding post seems to be a version of exactly what you are denouncing elsewhere on other forums. Please don't take this as me taking sides on whether or not your opinion is justified because that is not my intent in any way. My point is that posts like that make it difficult to distinguish between the two points. I hope I still get to hang around and learn.

I should note that I drive the same way(for maximum safe mileage) despite whatever title I may be awarded/assigned.

Last edited by diamondlarry; 03-18-2009 at 11:12 AM. Reason: added comment
Old 03-18-2009, 01:07 PM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by diamondlarry
I suppose this response will get me severely punished but, if it does, then so be it. The preceding post seems to be a version of exactly what you are denouncing elsewhere on other forums.
Actually mine was a reply relocated to this forum in response to a trollish post at another site. This forum that is wide open for such discussions since the biggest part of Msanto's complaint was about GreenHybrid and the moderators, including me. If folks want to disagree, here is the place to air it out.
Please don't take this as me taking sides on whether or not your opinion is justified because that is not my intent in any way. My point is that posts like that make it difficult to distinguish between the two points. I hope I still get to hang around and learn.
No problem here since this is "Anything goes." <grins>

Had Msantos stated his concern in "Fred's House of Pancakes," again, no problem. The problem was interrupting a technical answer and evaluation of four separate databases. Even the databases could have been discussed dispassionately and with attention to facts and data and there would have been no problem. But that was neither the tone nor the effect of his post.

I should note that I drive the same way(for maximum safe mileage) despite whatever title I may be awarded/assigned.
I have been married to the same woman for over 30 years and every time she drives, I'm a nervous wreck. When I drive, she complains,"You're letting that truck pass you?" Married, our driving goals and objectives are different. But I share the goals and many of the objectives of:
More Governors Endorse EcoDrivingUSA™

Washington, DC – The EcoDriving movement continues to grow, as more governors have announced support for this national initiative to promote green driving. Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger (R-CA), Governor Bill Ritter (D-CO), the Environmental Defense Fund and the Auto Alliance launched the EcoDrivingUSA™ program at a news conference in 2008.
You realize this effort started because of the "hypermiling" stunts. Things like jumping out of a car in a parking lot in a summer day to push it around. The "ice pack vest" and other stunts converted what should have been a simple set of guidelines into a reaction by both State governments as well as AAA. We'll chat some more later but I had one quick if somewhat unrelated question:
Do you still want an 88C thermostat? Ken mentioned your handle so I've picked up his inventory for state-side sales.
Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 03-18-2009 at 04:11 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

I found the post at priuschat and it looks like you tried to badmouth the cleanmpg dudes with your post and he called you out
Anyways I am not a member at their site cause they are a bit too much for me but from his greenhybrid posting he doesnt look trolly or crazy. he's writes very nice and helpful and his advice and tarabell's helped me double my mileage to.
kinda hard to believe hes a troll. I guess its ok for you to say he is if you hate him. kinda makes sense anyways.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:02 PM
Engineering first

Hi Kevin,
Originally Posted by KevinsTop
I found the post at priuschat and it looks like you tried to badmouth the cleanmpg dudes with your post and he called you out
It always helps to work from the facts and data:
. . .
A moderator at GreenHybrid, I'm basicly there to 'keep the lights on.' Sad to say, I'm not part of the team that handles the mileage database. However, over time I have looked at alternatives and they are slim:
  1. Fuel Economy - a US Government, EPA managed site, they allow individuals to maintain their mileage records under the model year of their vehicle.
  2. Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com - a private web site devoted to vehicle modifications to improve mileage, not hybrid specific but facts and data driven, not egos. However, their database appears to be individual vehicle oriented and weak in any collection of baseline vehicle performance. This makes sense because many are individual, heavily modified vehicles. IMHO, they are CleanMPG refugees.
  3. GreenHybrid.com - The Interactive Hybrid Car Resource - new 'garage' database, I am baffled.
  4. CleanMPG, An authoritative source on fuel economy and hypermiling - the last time I looked, a couple of years ago, I was appalled to find drivers received "titles". Their practices have nothing to do with baseline vehicle performance but appears to be oriented around some ego contest to see who can achieve some personal best . . . ego worship.
Looking at the mileage database options, if I had to choose within a week or so where to put my records, I would go with:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/
  1. STABILITY - it is a US Government web site that has a vested interest in getting an accurate sample of vehicle mileage. They can use this data to refine their mileage evaluation and make sure the vehicle stickers are somewhat accurate. Vehicle records are a key quality metric for the current EPA ratings.
  2. VEHICLE SUMMARY - currently limited to a given make, model and year, it at least contributes to our knowledge of how hybrid vehicles really work.
  3. EVIDENCE OF IMPROVEMENT - I've seen the individual mileage database interface improve, slowly over time. Because it is a USA Government web site, we can petition the EPA through our Congress critters and letters to get improvements.
  4. NO EGOS - I can't emphasize how much I find 'hero worship' alienating.
. . .
If you think these are 'bad mouthing' then we'll have to agree to disagree:
  • I am appalled to find drivers received "titles".
  • Their practices have nothing to do with baseline vehicle performance but appears to be oriented around some ego contest to see who can achieve some personal best . . . ego worship.
I fully stand by these observations, which can be and should be confirmed by visiting the CleanMPG site and looking at their mileage database.

. . . Anyways I am not a member at their site cause they are a bit too much for me but from his greenhybrid posting he doesnt look trolly or crazy.
Yes, he was better behaved here as were many of the others who left to form CleanMPG. This web site has history of being intolerant of personal attacks and will shutdown anyone who attacks another person's character in a heartbeat. Folks here can agree to disagree but we don't have to be disagreeble.
. . . he's writes very nice and helpful and his advice and tarabell's helped me double my mileage to.
Good! I have no doubt that he has some skill with his vehicle.
. . . kinda hard to believe hes a troll. I guess its ok for you to say he is if you hate him. kinda makes sense anyways.
I've not cited any other posting by Msantos as being trollish and one trollish post does not a troll make. Everyone makes a mistake from time to time and the beauty of "edit" is the ability to correct our mistakes and take the extreme elements out. Although it is uncomfortable, one can apologize and as an exercise, you might search for my username and the word apology. You'll find I'm not the least bit ashamed of being human and quick to beg forgiveness.

As for "hate," Msantos is not a SPAMer and hasn't been hanging around trying to sell something in our forums. Disappointed is more accurate but we don't need to go beyond this incident.

Bob Wilson

Old 03-18-2009, 06:06 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Why did you start this post? Get a grip!!! H

Quick Reply: Troll: feeding Msantos

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands