Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Your worst Automotive day (General)

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Worst continued....

"it was a tree......and it couldn't have done any damage because it was a small tree."

Stupidest:

Winter time lock keys in truck with it running. Call locksmith to get me back in. The locksmith takes an hour and the whole time the truck is running and I'm freezing outside in the cold. Just as the locksmith clicks the door open, I realize that in my wallet is a plastic credit card key that would have opened the door.

Old 08-14-2004, 08:11 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

My old friends worst day (That I know of):

One day my friend drove up in his 1969 beat up Dodge Dart.
He said his front wheel has been smoking for "a couple of weeks" but doesn't think it's serious. :blink:
I had to heat & manually cold chisel the old bearing races off....alot of work. My friend had decided since I'm outside working on his car that he'd go inside and watch Star Treck.
He was completely bothered when I asked for help handing tools etc.
In spite of being my good friend, after that I decided not to assist in his autos anymore.

2 Years later a knock on the door at midnignt.
Inquiring, he said he had a blowout and drove on it for a few miles but had to stop & change it and is having problems. He needed a place to crash for the night.

This I had to see for myself. At ~2AM I saw his car and a 150' black tire streak.
Evidently the spare tire wasn't turning- and because he gassed it for 150' he ended up in the ditch.
I asked if the spare is on correctly and he said he was sure. Remembering my last repair I just had to pass on this one. "I dunno" I said.

First thing the next morning...
He only needed a ride to the junkyard because they're on the way to pick it up from the road. :huh:
He called me later and apparently the wrecker said the wheel was on backwards and asked me if that would keep it from turning. :blink:
"I'm not sure" was all I could tell him (Although I'm sure that was the issue). He was very proud of his $35 from the junkyard though.

A year later I saw him again and we went for a ride.
Noticing all the interior is coated with an oily film and I'm beginning to gasp for air I asked him what that mist was. "I have to keep filling my transmission because the fluid always sprays on the exhaust pipe" :o

Don't underestimate this guy though. Give him a string of mathematical numbers:
240.3 x 5 / 3, * 12.45 + 14 plus the square root of....etc etc
In a minute he will tell you an accurate solution verifyable on a calulator.
(Rain man perhaps?)