Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   07' Camry Hybrid "check hybrid system", "check vsc system" several codes pulled (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/07-camry-hybrid-check-hybrid-system-check-vsc-system-several-codes-pulled-30739/)

dorkboy1000 03-24-2016 05:30 PM

07' Camry Hybrid "check hybrid system", "check vsc system" several codes pulled

Wife or daughter somehow drained the 12v aux battery one day so we jump started it, several days later dead again. A charger was put on the battery for a couple of hours while in the car (out of ignorance). Ran fine for a few days then dead again now with the "check hybrid system" and "check vsc system" warnings and battery cooling fan running. Found this forum, read about the optima yellow top replacement so I did that. It starts now with no problems, warnings still there and battery fan still running. Now the engine also dies sometimes while driving. Read more on this forum, pulled the hybrid battery and there was tons of corrosion on the bus bars. Pulled them off cleaned everything very well with vinegar and then baking soda, reassembled and put Ilsco De-ox gel on every connection (front and rear of bus bars and the little crimped connectors on the front side, then covered the nuts as well...wondering if I created a situation similar to the oxidation since the de-ox does not conduct, but all connections tight. It is covered in anti ox gel. my daughter backed into another car and mis-aligned the trunk lid slightly so there is a very small leak in the trunk when it rains hard enough and it is 100% humidity half the year in Pensacola, FL). Aux battery was unhooked with the terminals connected together while I cleaned the hybrid battery. Reinstalled everything and same warnings. The codes pulled at auto parts store are
C1241
C1256
C1259
C1310
P0480
P3021

The car has 122,652 miles and was bought new in Indio, California in 11/06. It has been a wonderful trouble free car until now. I thought it was a simple clean connections job or I would have called toyota about it. The dealer here in Florida is shady. I have noticed some extremely wise folks on this forum, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Jason

GeorgiaHybrid 03-24-2016 11:52 PM

Re: 07' Camry Hybrid "check hybrid system", "check vsc system" several codes pulled

C1241 is a low voltage (12V) to the brake controller system skid control ECU

C1256 is the brake Accumulator Low Pressure but is common if C1241 is thrown. That issue needs to be taken care before this can be diagnosed.

C1259 is the HV System Regenerative Malfunction and that code can be thrown by C1241 also but can also be thrown if you turned on the ignition with the service plug pulled on the traction battery.

C1310 is the HV System Regenerative Malfunction code and again is thrown when the Skid Control ECU is sending a signal and the Hybrid Control ECU has a low voltage. This is also thrown if you turned on the ignition switch with the traction battery service plug pulled.

P3021 is the "Battery Block 11 Becomes Weak" code and will more than likely be the issue causing your problem. Are you SURE you cleaned and torqued everything correctly when you assembled the HV battery? Did you check the voltages of the 17 battery blocks and see if one of them was lower or higher than the others? By the way, this code is thrown for a .3 volt difference.

That battery consists of 34 battery modules combined into 17 blocks (2 modules per block) with (6) 1.2 volt cells in series. ANY cell in that module or block (12 of them) could have a loose or bad connection (or be a bad cell) and that code will be thrown.

You need access to a scanner capable of doing a better check on codes and able to do some bi-directional scanning (IE Techstream or good pro scanner) at this point to see if the battery bank or the smart controller on the battery bank is the problem.

I have a sneaky idea that your "P0480" code is really a P0A1F-123 code that their scanner is not capable of reading. That can also be thrown by a low voltage on the aux battery (12V) but there are other items to check as well (fuse IGCT number 2 for example) that can cause this as well.

One thing is bothering me though, per your post above, "Aux battery was unhooked with the terminals connected together while I cleaned the hybrid battery". Did you actually hook the + and - battery cable together when you cleaned the hybrid battery?

Personal opinion, clear all of the codes and make SURE the 12V battery has a good charge. Drive the car and see what codes it throws and then let us know what codes are present. Most of the codes you have are from the 12V battery being run down before.

dorkboy1000 03-25-2016 11:57 AM

Re: 07' Camry Hybrid "check hybrid system", "check vsc system" several codes pulled

Thank you so much for your reply. Yes, I did try to start the car not realizing the service plug was not pushed all the way down. When I unhooked the 12 volt battery to pull the hybrid battery I did hook the 12v cables together. (To drain residual power from that system...something I read to do on toyota nation I believe. Again ignorance....) I did check voltage of all 34 modules, one module did read 6.8V. I didn't want to try anything other than cleaning that monster and reinstalling in hopes it would recharge from the car. I only have a schumacher ssc-1000a charger that only does 12v that I used to charge the AGM battery. Everything is clean and tight. I was worried the de-ox may do the same as the corrosion as far as resistance after it didn't work...apparently not that simple. I will do as advised above and get back as soon as I can. Any opinion upon ordering obdII to usb cable that comes with cd software for laptop from internet vs. larger expense of taking to a shop to have diagnostics test done after clearing codes and driving? One last stupid question, can I clear the codes myself without a scan tool? I don't want to make any further ignorant moves.

Thank you sir.

S Keith 03-25-2016 12:18 PM

Never heard of the terminal joining thing. Would never consider doing it without the manufacturer telling me it was okay AND explaining WHY it was okay.

Disconnecting the 12V clears codes; however, conditions still present will cause the code to return immediately. That 6.8V will likely immediately trigger a code.

6.8V is a dead module. Period. You have a failed pack.

GeorgiaHybrid 03-25-2016 06:49 PM

I have no experience with the USB cable with software downloaded from the net. I use two different Snap-on scanners that work with pretty much any car I work on. Generally disconnecting the 12V battery will clear the codes but there are some that it will not clear.

What was the voltage on the other modules in the pack? Were they all balanced? You might get by with replacing that one pack if you can find one that would be balanced with the other battery modules.

dorkboy1000 04-28-2016 11:18 PM

It took me forever...but i got it. 11 is bad apparently. Can anyone tell if there are any other problems or not from this? I have plenty more system data if needed.

dorkboy1000 04-29-2016 08:11 AM

6 Attachment(s)
I removed the pdf's and posted jpg's instead

S Keith 04-29-2016 08:19 AM

Those are codes typically generated from failures on other ECUs due to the traction battery being inoperative. If they weren't present before the battery issues, they should go away once the battery is fixed.

dorkboy1000 05-01-2016 06:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I am going to order a couple of modules off ebay, should I replace both modules in bank 11 or just the one that tests weak? Also going to order a Prolong Battery Reconditioning Package. Any suggestions from anyone that has experience with that charger or strongly suggest a different one, or certain options I should get on anything? I'd like to make the best decision the first time I don't have the money to spend twice. S Keith, there were no dash lights, warnings or known issues before the battery problem, so, yes, hopefully everything else will clear up when the traction battery is fixed. Thanks for the replies and sharing of experience.

Jason

p.s.- just for kicks, now that I know I can post pics, here is the corrosion I discovered when i first removed the battery...

S Keith 05-01-2016 07:03 AM

You plan is very sound. The issue is going to be the eBay modules. They are VERY hit and miss. Based on my take on other's posted results in other forums, it's best to order a couple from different sellers as some people sell pure garbage.

Also, try to avoid folks who will only guarantee voltage. Voltage is only the FIRST criteria to be met, and the easiest. I have a module that maintains good voltage for many months... but... it only has a capacity of 2700mAh because one of the six cells has significantly lower capacity than the others.

Are you in a coastal area? The black is indicative of salt-laden air.

I think that corrosion is the worst I have seen. You should consider purchasing new nuts rather than futzing about trying to clean those:

https://www.belmetric.com/nspin5ylw-...tn1&cPath=3_49

If you're looking for a quick way to clean the bus bars, muriatic (hydrochloric) acid will get all the yuck off in about 30 seconds. That acid is used to lower pool pH and can be had for about $8/gallon (my local Ace hardware, any pool supply store, etc.). simply put all your bus bars inside a small glass container (I literally use a drinking glass) fill with just enough acid to cover them by about 0.25", agitate (swirl) gently for 30 seconds, fill with tap water to dilute and dump repeatedly. This create some acrid vapors from initial pour to the end, but a gentle breeze is enough to keep them dispersed. Once rinsed and dried, a very quick, light scuffing with green/maroon scotchbrite will have them looking good in a few seconds. Your total touch time should be less than 20 minutes.

The Hybrid Automotive prolong reconditioning system is a GREAT way to recondition an entire battery at the pack level. Multiple discharge cycles can be nearly as effective as reconditioning at the module level. I have direct experience with both. I encourage you to take the time to do it as prescribed on their website. Full disclosure, I am an Authorized Installer for HA in the Phoenix area which makes me eligible to purchase at a small discount. I receive no compensation of any kind from HA. I support them because it's the best option out there and the best total value. They have also been at it the longest and use the best body of research data in their approach.

Best to start a google sheet and document the voltage of all 34 modules. Any significant outliers should be replaced.

Steve

S Keith 05-01-2016 07:19 AM

BTW... there is a right way and a wrong way to replace modules in a pack. The right way SOUNDS like a total pain in the ***, but the reality is it takes way less time and produces much better results. More when you get to that point...

I re-read your original post. You have already cleaned them. Personally, I don't use De-ox and wouldn't recommend it.

nut torque is exactly 48 in-lb. Do not over or under tighten by any significant amount. You either get increased resistance due to insufficient torque, or you risk snapping a terminal thread off.

jackrealtor 08-23-2016 09:19 AM

I've got the check hybrid light on my Wife's '07 Camry Hybrid and wonder where you got the detailed report pulled? AutoZone or did you have to use the dealership?

S Keith 08-23-2016 09:27 AM

Those are generated by the dealer software. Auto zone will just give you the base codes as shown early in the thread.

Auto zone codes are generally enough to diagnose most common failures like the HV battery

jackrealtor 08-23-2016 03:32 PM

I bet the dealer charges an arm and a leg to do it too, right?

S Keith 08-23-2016 06:34 PM

Different dealers charge different amounts. I've seen accounts of $65-200. Autozone is free.

jackrealtor 08-24-2016 07:46 PM

I just wonder how difficult it is for a shade tree mechanic with limited knowledge beyond doing valve adjustments, cap and rotor/spark plug tune ups, brake jobs and stereo installations/fog light installations and so on to do the removal and testing of the cells in the traction battery. I've seen some videos on YouTube showing some guys doing it but wonder if it's beyond my capabilities or if I should just buy a new one from one of the vendors on the site and try to install that myself? Any thoughts or experiences?

S Keith 08-24-2016 07:52 PM

Doing it right requires time (10-14 days) and expense. I've evaluated two Camry packs here in AZ, and they were complete and total junk. One was a 2012 with 124K miles, and it was horrible. The Camrys are very hard on their batteries. They are not a good reconditioning candidate.

Same goes for your Lexus. I've done one of them in AZ. Atrocious. Pack was >50% junk, and it got the overheat code somewhat common in the Lexus (P0A7F?).

I will no longer service anything but Gen2 Prius. I recommend you stick Dorman or Greentec with your likely junk core. :)

jackrealtor 08-24-2016 08:05 PM

There's a guy who does a servicing of the batteries about 120 miles from me (tow job to get to him) doing reconditioning of the batteries but mine may be toast...

jackrealtor 08-24-2016 08:21 PM

Which battery replacement have you had the best luck with? What do you think an installation would be if I buy the new one? Thanks for the help too!

S Keith 08-24-2016 08:22 PM

It may vary from region to region. Hopefully, he knows enough of what he's doing to know what results to expect. I collaborate with others in warm and cool regions, and all non-Gen2 Prius batteries show poor results by comparison. AZ is definitely the worst.

The only service I offer is brand new Toyota. My cost (20% off list) + tax + install runs about $3300, which is $1200 or so less that what most dealers charge.

S Keith 08-24-2016 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by jackrealtor (Post 260424)
Which battery replacement have you had the best luck with? What do you think an installation would be if I buy the new one? Thanks for the help too!

Dorman. You can usually deal face to face with NAPA or another auto parts store, and they have to hassle with shipment, etc. You just have to do the install. Install is easy.

jackrealtor 08-24-2016 08:27 PM

They ship to Napa or Pep Boys?

S Keith 08-24-2016 08:41 PM

You order it through a major chain, and it ships to them.

jackrealtor 08-24-2016 08:43 PM

So you don't use Dorman? Are the new toyotas lithium ion or NMH? I think I read you said they have better warranties now too.

S Keith 08-24-2016 08:54 PM

No.

NiMH - changing battery chemistry is a nightmare and not at all cost effective for the manufacturer. LiPo requires 12X the battery management of NiMH.

3 years on Toyota, but you should reasonably expect performance similar to the original. 4 year failure rate on Toyota packs is about 1 in 333.

jackrealtor 08-30-2016 06:36 PM

I just had mine read, error code p3024, bank 14 had a low reading. Now what? Can I take her apart and replace bank 14 and be on my way? I'm sure it's a dumb question but the dealer wants my left kidney to replace the battery and oh, by the way, there's a TSB for cleaning the cooling battery that you'd get if your car was under 100k miles...

S Keith 08-30-2016 08:08 PM

Yes. No. Maybe.

There are 34 modules in the Camry pack. You have no idea of their state or balance levels. You could certainly replace it, but you will likely be doing it every few months as they continue to drop off. You'll eventually tire of removing and disassembling the 120# pack. I'm not kidding when I say it's a ***** to get apart. The 07-11

The first time will probably take you 6 hours. You'll get it down to 3-4 hours by the 3rd or 4th one.

Here's the analogy. You KNOW you have a bad tire. However, all you can check of the other three is size and tire pressure (voltage). You can't see how much tread is left on them. How long will they last when one of their brethren has already failed?

You have no idea.

I assume you mean cleaning the cooling fan?

jackrealtor 08-31-2016 05:47 AM

You're right, I meant the cooling fan being cleaned. It's a TSB that would be performed had the car not been a 07 and have 13x,000 on the clock. I wonder if the 'dirty' cooling fan, which is running on the Camry, could precipitate a failure or is the result of a computer read/sensed failure.

I do like your analogy of the tires, it makes sense. If I could disassemble my laptop battery/cellphone battery/whatever type battery and replace only ONE bad cell within the battery pack, I agree, it's not worth the effort-especially in the case of basically taking the back of the car apart and for a novice like me, risking a potentially fatal shock to then zip it all back together-6 hours or so later-only to find 3 months later the same **** thing has happened in another block. I guess I'm just 'lucky" that I'm one in 333 to fail in a car that was maintained by the book, literally, from new by one fastidious owner.
Keith, thanks for your advice and knowledge. I'm in the Burbs of Chi-town and far from your shop, bummer

S Keith 08-31-2016 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by jackrealtor (Post 260469)
You're right, I meant the cooling fan being cleaned. It's a TSB that would be performed had the car not been a 07 and have 13x,000 on the clock. I wonder if the 'dirty' cooling fan, which is running on the Camry, could precipitate a failure or is the result of a computer read/sensed failure.

I do like your analogy of the tires, it makes sense. If I could disassemble my laptop battery/cellphone battery/whatever type battery and replace only ONE bad cell within the battery pack, I agree, it's not worth the effort-especially in the case of basically taking the back of the car apart and for a novice like me, risking a potentially fatal shock to then zip it all back together-6 hours or so later-only to find 3 months later the same **** thing has happened in another block. I guess I'm just 'lucky" that I'm one in 333 to fail in a car that was maintained by the book, literally, from new by one fastidious owner.
Keith, thanks for your advice and knowledge. I'm in the Burbs of Chi-town and far from your shop, bummer

In retrospect, 1 in 333 is for Prius, and that's for 4 years, not 9 and no mileage data. I don't have official stats on the Camry, but they're worse based on my experience. The newer ones are even worse. 2012 w/124K miles... completely destroyed its battery. Owners were out of warranty, but Toyota quietly covered it.

You wouldn't like bringing it to me, either. I'd just offer you a new Toyota battery. Granted, it would be about $1K cheaper than the dealer, but still an arm and half a leg.

Too lazy to scroll up to see if I've said it... Dorman and Greentec both make reconditions. You can order a Dorman through your local auto parts store.

jackrealtor 08-31-2016 07:25 AM

I wonder if installing one of those Hybrid Automotive battery systems you sell would take care of the problem? My guess is that the answer in my case would be "no".

The independent used car lot owner I purchased the TCH from told me that the battery issue that I was unaware of until I had my Toyota dealership pull-up the full vehicle history and saw the hybrid battery was bad and needed replacement was due to "the battery's cable was crystallized and he had a shop clean it for 600 bucks or something. Perhaps the guy who was not from America used the wrong term for rusty? Who knows but he turned out to be a scumbag (big surprise and MY BAD dealing with him) so I wouldn't phone him. Side note, it took the Secretary of State's police stepping in to get my title and plates.

S Keith 08-31-2016 08:04 AM

They are good for preventative, but once a cell has failed, they can't do much for you. If you go the module replacement route, it is a useful tool for reconditioning and optimizing the repaired battery.

Sorry to hear you dealt with a crook. The sensing harness can be replaced with new for much less though removal, disassembly and the reverse are time consuming. Corroded copper bus bars look very crystalline in nature. Rust is not the first word that comes to mind.

jackrealtor 09-07-2016 06:44 AM

I contacted Toyota to see what they can do. If this TCH was in a CARB state, they'd be doing a warranty replacement. So far the best I can do is 1k off the job on Toyota and my dealership doing the labor to install at 220 or so. Total on me is 2700 but a factory battery. The Toyota rep said she thought it was only 12mo/12k miles but I thought it was 36mo 36k miles. I've been having regrets buying a this hybrid when the battery dumps just outside of warranty and especially when it would be warranted if I was in a CARB state...

jackrealtor 09-07-2016 06:46 AM

I guess the car would have had to be purchased originally IN a CARB state too, not as easy as just having it titled in a CARB state...

S Keith 09-07-2016 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by jackrealtor (Post 260544)
I guess the car would have had to be purchased originally IN a CARB state too, not as easy as just having it titled in a CARB state...

You are not in a carb state. You are not entitled to a state mandated warranty if you don't live in that state. Using it as a negotiation tool is fine, but don't fall into the trap of actually believing you're entitled to it.

You are like too many people who buy a used hybrid that's out of warranty or nearly out of warranty.

Regardless of price ALL hybrids are* far more complex with more potential for failure than gas-only cars.* ALL prospective buyers of used hybrids need to ask themselves, "am I okay with an immediate $3-5K repair bill?"* If the answer is yes, go for it.*If the answer is "no", then move along.

Again, I'm sorry for the set of circumstances that brought you here.* Unfortunately, this is all too common an occurrence.* Is it in the majority? I don't think so, but it happens enough to too many people for me to dismiss it.

So, in 100% of cases a new factory battery is the BEST option for a LONG TERM repair.* New warranty on Toyota replacement hybrid batteries is 3 years, unlimited miles:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20Warranty.pdf

While they only warranty it, you should expect a life comparable to the original.* Toyota failure rates inside of 4 years is only 1 in 333.* I'll take those odds.* I would wager that the car will die of some other cause before the battery gives it up again.* Once you're out of the warranty period, the HA reconditioning package could likely extend the life indefinitely.

$2700 is only a little more than the "national" brands, so if you have any intention of keeping the car, go for it.* They're giving you a killer deal.

Steve

jackrealtor 09-11-2016 11:33 AM

Well I drove the car to the local Toyota dealership I have used for about 15 years or so. They put me in an "arrest me red" toyota prius V that's actually pretty cool. I only drove it to the house but like the touch screen controls for the systems like GPS and live traffic (via satellite subscription i'd imagine). The Hybrid Battery should be in for installation at the beginning of the week. Thanks too, Steve, for sending me a copy of the true Toyota warranty, 36 month unlimited miles means they really have faith in that new battery! I'm betting they use all new cells and not remanufactured ones? It'd be cool if they could produce a plug in that would utilize the safety disconnect terminals to snap in a plug in...

S Keith 09-11-2016 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by jackrealtor (Post 260562)
Well I drove the car to the local Toyota dealership I have used for about 15 years or so. They put me in an "arrest me red" toyota prius V that's actually pretty cool. I only drove it to the house but like the touch screen controls for the systems like GPS and live traffic (via satellite subscription i'd imagine). The Hybrid Battery should be in for installation at the beginning of the week. Thanks too, Steve, for sending me a copy of the true Toyota warranty, 36 month unlimited miles means they really have faith in that new battery! I'm betting they use all new cells and not remanufactured ones? It'd be cool if they could produce a plug in that would utilize the safety disconnect terminals to snap in a plug in...

As you're purchasing a "NEW" part, you would expect new components. If you bought a "new" alternator for a corolla, you would expect to get it NEW and not reconditioned, remanufactured or refurbished unless identified as such.

To my knowledge, the individual battery modules are new. Toyota has begun offering reconditioned/remanufactured packs, but they are clearly identified as such.

Lolag 03-01-2017 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by jackrealtor (Post 260471)
I wonder if installing one of those Hybrid Automotive battery systems you sell would take care of the problem? My guess is that the answer in my case would be "no".

The independent used car lot owner I purchased the TCH from told me that the battery issue that I was unaware of until I had my Toyota dealership pull-up the full vehicle history and saw the hybrid battery was bad and needed replacement was due to "the battery's cable was crystallized and he had a shop clean it for 600 bucks or something. Perhaps the guy who was not from America used the wrong term for rusty? Who knows but he turned out to be a scumbag (big surprise and MY BAD dealing with him) so I wouldn't phone him. Side note, it took the Secretary of State's police stepping in to get my title and plates.

Hi Jason,
i am literally having the exact same problem with my 07 Camry hybrid. I had the 12v battery replaced at an auto parts store about a month ago & since then all the same lights & messages you described. Fan started running about a week ago as well. Today it completely shut off while I was driving. Thankfully I was able to coast to a parking lot. It started back up immediately but I guess that was the sign I needed to finally do something about all the issues. I am in no way as car savvy as you are but I would love for you to tell me the best way to deal with it. Do I take to dealership immediately?

lola

S Keith 03-01-2017 07:44 AM

Lola,

It's all just guesswork without the codes. Take it to O'Reilly to have the codes read for free. They use Bosch readers and seem to be more reliable than Autozone for reading Toyota hybrid codes. Get the CODES. Don't take their description of the code. Get the code itself. Most aren't familiar with the hybrid codes, and the readers don't necessarily list the correct description. Again, get the actual codes.

The fan running is almost certainly indicating HV battery failure. The shutdown while driving is likely a different issue. The shutdown issue suggests that you should drive the car as little as possible.

Ultimately, we can't provide you any meaningful advice without the codes.

Steve

Lolag 03-01-2017 08:03 AM

Got it. Going to get codes ASAP. Very appreciative.

Lolag 03-01-2017 08:37 AM

Ok. Got the codes. O'Reilly guy was super nice & after I told him what happened, said the first problem was that the auto parts shop replaced the battery for me. Said it should have been done by dealership or at least someone who knows the particulars of hybrid. He thinks all of the issues are most likely related to that.
Here are the codes (11 of them!):
B1603
C1241
C1242
C1253
C1256
C1259
C1310
POA7F
POA80
P3018
P3019

He advised me to go to dealership for "reprogramming". Also said I may be able to have original auto parts store pay for it since they shouldn't have replaced it.

Do y'all concur? He didn't tell me what each code meant so I'd love to know & get your take on this.

Thanks!
Lola