2015 Camry Hybrid - CVT fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 05:57 AM
Enthusiast
Default 2015 Camry Hybrid - CVT fluid change

We bought our 2015 Camry in Summer 2016 - it had 28,000 miles on it. Purchased through a certified Toyota Dealership under their certified used car program - can't recall exactly what the program was called, but some of you will probably know. The car has a Constant Velocity Transmission. We have had no problems whatsoever with the car, with the exception of some initial misconceptions about how the car operates, sounds and drives. It's all been good.

We're now at 56,000 miles. I haven't driven the car much, as my wife uses it most of the time. Lately, we've been using it to take short day trips around our area, and I've noticed a sound that doesn't seem right. Similar to a roaring type of noise, it is reminiscent of a wheel bearing/axle bearing type roar. Most noticeable about 50 MPH with the windows closed and no other traffic around, preferably a smooth road. It has a sort of "rump-rump-rump" sound that is fairly noticeable to me. As you apply the brake and the car slows, so does the "rump-rump" sound.

We purchased an extended warranty on the car, so we took it to the dealer to have the sound checked out. I also told the dealer to change the CVT fluid, even though the owner's manual seemed to indicate that it was a sealed system that might be good for the life of the car. I left the car at the dealership for the service. A few hours later, they called and said they would like to keep the car overnight so they could spend some more time diagnosing where the noise was coming from. They suspected the CVT.

I just got off the phone with them and here is what they said: The noise was coming from the CVT - when they drained the old fluid out and replaced it, the noise was gone.

I'd appreciate some input from those of you who are knowledgeable about such things. Does this sound plausible to you? Thanks in advance for your comments.

Last edited by senorbootch; 09-22-2020 at 06:02 AM.
Old 11-16-2020, 08:16 AM
Default Re: 2015 Camry Hybrid - CVT fluid change

Originally Posted by senorbootch
We bought our 2015 Camry in Summer 2016 - it had 28,000 miles on it. Purchased through a certified Toyota Dealership under their certified used car program - can't recall exactly what the program was called, but some of you will probably know. The car has a Constant Velocity Transmission. We have had no problems whatsoever with the car, with the exception of some initial misconceptions about how the car operates, sounds and drives. It's all been good.

We're now at 56,000 miles. I haven't driven the car much, as my wife uses it most of the time. Lately, we've been using it to take short day trips around our area, and I've noticed a sound that doesn't seem right. Similar to a roaring type of noise, it is reminiscent of a wheel bearing/axle bearing type roar. Most noticeable about 50 MPH with the windows closed and no other traffic around, preferably a smooth road. It has a sort of "rump-rump-rump" sound that is fairly noticeable to me. As you apply the brake and the car slows, so does the "rump-rump" sound.

We purchased an extended warranty on the car, so we took it to the dealer to have the sound checked out. I also told the dealer to change the CVT fluid, even though the owner's manual seemed to indicate that it was a sealed system that might be good for the life of the car. I left the car at the dealership for the service. A few hours later, they called and said they would like to keep the car overnight so they could spend some more time diagnosing where the noise was coming from. They suspected the CVT.

I just got off the phone with them and here is what they said: The noise was coming from the CVT - when they drained the old fluid out and replaced it, the noise was gone.

I'd appreciate some input from those of you who are knowledgeable about such things. Does this sound plausible to you? Thanks in advance for your comments.
is it really CVT or e CVT? Did you put in cvt oil or WS?