Is it 4 or 5 quarts of new oil after oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 06:37 PM
Professor Emeritus
Default Re: Is it 4 or 5 quarts of new oil after oil change?

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid
As far as the brakes go, unless you are like ukrkoz and think the Camry is a good substitute for a Maserati Ghibli, your brakes will last a LONG time. Had mine off this past weekend and the fronts looked like new with no visible wear and the rear were at 50%. With 160,000 on the car, the front brakes will outlast the car and the rears will make it to 300,000 miles before needing to be replaced. Take ANY verbiage from a dealer as being suspect.

As an aside, ANY competent tech can change the rotors and pads on the Camry when they do need to be replaced for not a lot of money....
Agreed! The brakes on ours are completely original. I looked at our brakes last tire rotation at 234,000 miles and they looked like they did around 160,000 miles! They will easily make it to 300,000.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

I just went to the dealer for 2 things, received a RECALL for power lock master switch and for oil change. I was told would take few hrs and would call me. I leave and 2 hrs later, i get a call from them telling me they found some problem with brake pads and some other things blah blah costing $1600. Told them NO. My car is only 36K miles.

Tired of these scammers

Old 12-22-2015, 01:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

I went to pick up my car after the oil change and the guy says I told you what you need right? I replied yes but you need to stop saying this cos I ain't stupid. He shuts up but
He gives me a booklet of what is so terribly wrong with my car.

The Scam report of repairs needed are
Brake Job - Front & Rear ( Replace Pads & Motors for $465 each. that almost $1k.
Fuel injection cleaning (EFI service for $155
PCV Valve replacement for $76
Cabin air filter replacement for $57
AC system cleaning for $57

Total with tax and service charge

$1400.

Now when my car was 30k and 25k miles, they suggested I do the same repairs and service for similar amount, I refused. this time at 36k miles, they are saying the same thing.
BTW they lie about these costly unneccesery repair jobs to anyone who comes for oil change.
Many fall for this and agree to it.
I hope someone sues these scammers!

Last edited by jimmy1; 12-22-2015 at 01:04 PM.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:09 AM
Veracitorian Muser

Originally Posted by jimmy1
I went to pick up my car after the oil change and the guy says I told you what you need right? I replied yes but you need to stop saying this cos I ain't stupid. He shuts up but
He gives me a booklet of what is so terribly wrong with my car.

The Scam report of repairs needed are
Brake Job - Front & Rear ( Replace Pads & Motors for $465 each. that almost $1k.

$1400.

Now when my car was 30k and 25k miles, they suggested I do the same repairs and service for similar amount, I refused. this time at 36k miles, they are saying the same thing.
BTW they lie about these costly unneccesery repair jobs to anyone who comes for oil change.
Many fall for this and agree to it.
I hope someone sues these scammers!
You say you are not stupid. So, why would you return to an obvious crook for car service? Why would you even trust them to do an oil change and not cause other damage on purpose? Why would you ever let your car back on their property for any reason?

Old 12-23-2015, 02:41 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by alan_in_tempe
You say you are not stupid. So, why would you return to an obvious crook for car service? Why would you even trust them to do an oil change and not cause other damage on purpose? Why would you ever let your car back on their property for any reason?
I think you are right. I shouldn't be going there.
But I had a Recall appointment for "power lock window master switch" and it was time for oil change and I had oil change coupon for $20. Next time, i will go to local indpenedent shops for oil change.

Now what do you think about their recommendations for : Brake Job - Front & Rear ( Replace Pads & Motors for $465 each. that almost $1k.

$1400 when I have never felt anything wrong with my car and not specially any problem with brakes? My TCH now is only 36K miles. They told me I need to do the same list when my car was 30k miles several months ago.

Are these really needed?

Last edited by jimmy1; 12-23-2015 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:22 PM
Veracitorian Muser

Now what do you think about their recommendations for : Brake Job - Front & Rear ( Replace Pads & Motors for $465 each. that almost $1k.
I sold my TCH two years ago (replaced with the then brand new Lexus ES hybrid, which has the identical drive train). With 100K miles when I sold the TCH, the original front pads were over 90%, and the rear pads were about 70%. Get another opinion on whether your pads are anywhere near needing replacement. A good independent shop should be able to do a brake job for well under $200/wheel, and possibly half that if the rotors are fine. With that said, the brake fluid should be flushed every two years, and more frequently if you are in a very humid year-round environment.

The cabin air filter for $57 is not too far off. The filter is behind the glove box and is easy to change, once you see how to unlatch the arms that stop the glove box from opening more. The filter itself is about $20-30 (last time I checked).

I don't remember what the service interval is for the PCV valve or fuel injection, but just look it up in your manual. If your engine is running well, starting and stopping smoothly while "hybrid" driving, then I would not consider either service more frequently than the service manual calls out.

If your AC vents don't stink, then don't clean them. If you do get mildew or dead animals in them, then you will know it needs cleaning. You should be opening the hood occasionally and making sure none of the radiators are blocked with leaves or serious dirt build up. One of those is the AC radiator, and that is all that should ever need cleaning other than the vents. A garden hose is often enough to clean it.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

I think you are right. I shouldn't be going there.
But I had a Recall appointment for "power lock window master switch" and it was time for oil change and I had oil change coupon for $20. Next time, i will go to local indpenedent shops for oil change.

Now what do you think about their recommendations for : Brake Job - Front & Rear ( Replace Pads & Motors for $465 each. that almost $1k. Just the parts using Wagner ceramic pads and Bosch rotors would run about $185 for a pair. Add about $100 for labor (MAX) and the rears will be about $285 for both combined. If the fronts are worn out, quit racing your Camry and buy a Porsche
Fuel injection cleaning (EFI service for $155 Buy a good grade of gas and you will NEVER need to clean your injectors. Chevron, BP, Texaco, etc will have more than enough detergents in the fuel to keep everything clean.
PCV Valve replacement for $76 An adjustable wrench and 5 minutes of your time will install a $6 PCV valve.
Cabin air filter replacement for $57 Again, $20 for a filter and 5 minutes of your time will replace the cabin filter
AC system cleaning for $57 Unless your condensate drain is stopped up and causing mildew to form (It will stink), don't bother.

$1400 when I have never felt anything wrong with my car and not specially any problem with brakes? My TCH now is only 36K miles. They told me I need to do the same list when my car was 30k miles several months ago.

Are these really needed?
You are getting pushed into what is known as "customer pay" add ons that are nothing but pure profit for a dealer as just about anyone that can turn a wrench can do any of the items on your list. I even know one rocket scientist in Huntsville that can manage the brake job....