6.1 VS 7.1 Nav Disk

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 08:26 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default 6.1 VS 7.1 Nav Disk

Before I update - are there any major differences between the 6.1 and 7.1 versions of navagation software. Is the update worth it?

Thanks in advance

Old 04-12-2008, 11:01 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 6.1 VS 7.1 Nav Disk

I noticed:
- Roads in my area now had street numbers [no refusal to give directions]
- Short warning screen that turns itself off
- New split window that shows upcoming exits with icons for what's there

Worth $250? No. $50? Maybe

Regards

Old 04-12-2008, 12:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

Are any 2007 TCH's running the 7.1 Nav disc?

Old 04-12-2008, 01:42 PM
Enthusiast

My comments above were from borrowing the 7.1 disk out of a friends 2008 TCH and inserting it in my 2007. Most interesting was that I didn't have to pull a fuse to reset to the new software. I got a "trying to read disk" message, then "reloading" and Viola, new software. After giving back the new disk and reinserting the old, I still have the new nav system running, as evidenced by the disappearing warning screen on startup.

Old 04-12-2008, 05:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

even after powering off and powering on the car?

Old 04-12-2008, 05:50 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by WMConey
My comments above were from borrowing the 7.1 disk out of a friends 2008 TCH and inserting it in my 2007. Most interesting was that I didn't have to pull a fuse to reset to the new software. I got a "trying to read disk" message, then "reloading" and Viola, new software. After giving back the new disk and reinserting the old, I still have the new nav system running, as evidenced by the disappearing warning screen on startup.
Newer firmware loads automatically. To downgrade to older firmware requires powering down the NAV (pulling fuse etc.). If you swap back to an older DVD you have the new firmware and OLD data until you power off the NAV. Enjoy the obsence of overrides the 7.1 DVD gives you and OLD data of the 6.1 DVD. You have the worst of both worlds it seems.

Old 04-12-2008, 05:53 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by KC Rusty
Before I update - are there any major differences between the 6.1 and 7.1 versions of navagation software. Is the update worth it?

Thanks in advance
The I agree screen goes away automatically after a few seconds as previously mentioned. Also some newer roads in my are that were missing the the 6.1 DVD are present on the 7.1 DVD so the maps have been updated.
All my preferences were reset but it saved my previous locations and memorized destinations.

Old 04-12-2008, 06:25 PM
Enthusiast

Since I don't use the overrides, from my perspective I only lost the need to push an "Agree" button. So I came out ahead from my perspective.

And yes, the new firmware "sticks" through a power cycle.

Old 04-12-2008, 06:49 PM
Enthusiast

I noticed:
- Short warning screen that turns itself off

Do you mean you don't have to press the OK button to get the warnings to go away?

Old 04-13-2008, 04:28 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Since I don't use the overrides, from my perspective I only lost the need to push an "Agree" button. So I came out ahead from my perspective.

And yes, the new firmware "sticks" through a power cycle.
Power cycle (as in turning the car off and on) yes. Power cycle and in removing the battery or NAV Fuse, NO.
You also have the OLD road/poi data which is not stored in the NAV but read from the DVD as needed.

Quick Reply: 6.1 VS 7.1 Nav Disk

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands