700 Mile tank!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 06:38 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default 700 Mile tank!

With the recent warmer weather in Chicagoland I managed my best tank ever!

I filled the tank with 15.082 gallons. 46.5 MPG. My calculated MPG has always averaged 1.2 MPG less than the display.

I think the biggest help was the tire pressures increasing to 45 PSI. They were inflated to 40 in the cold weather. About 2/3 way through the tank I bumped them up to 50 PSI. My car has the Bridgestones which are rated to 51 PSI max.

My grille is also blocked. It didn't seem to see much help in the cold weather, but I wonder if it helps in the cool weather.

The best tank average I have seen is Nash's at 48.0 indicated.

I think a 50 MPG tank (indicated) is achievable!

Many of my trips were over 50 MPG. My commute is an hour long at 40 miles each way. About half freeway and half arterial traffic.

Old 04-02-2007, 07:35 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 700 Mile tank!

Congratulations! I've had a number of 700 mile tanks so far, and I'm sure you have more to come. It is something else to be able to go 700 miles on a fillup.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:06 PM
Enthusiast

Very nice! So far my TCH has been sitting on 37mpg tank average, but I'm still half way thru the cars first even tank. Hopefully with the warmer weather, break in, and new driving habbits that milage will go up. Love the car so far.

Old 04-03-2007, 01:47 PM
Enthusiast

Wait, there's blue rings that light up around the speedo ?

Old 04-03-2007, 02:03 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HybridAri
Wait, there's blue rings that light up around the speedo ?
LOL yes there are. They light up if your mileage is improving. Here is a pic from my TCH:

Old 04-03-2007, 02:13 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nash
LOL yes there are. They light up if your mileage is improving. Here is a pic from my TCH:

LOL, I know, it just seems like mine never come on!

Old 04-03-2007, 06:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by n8kwx
With the recent warmer weather in Chicagoland I managed my best tank ever!

I filled the tank with 15.082 gallons. 46.5 MPG. My calculated MPG has always averaged 1.2 MPG less than the display.

I think the biggest help was the tire pressures increasing to 45 PSI. They were inflated to 40 in the cold weather. About 2/3 way through the tank I bumped them up to 50 PSI. My car has the Bridgestones which are rated to 51 PSI max.

My grille is also blocked. It didn't seem to see much help in the cold weather, but I wonder if it helps in the cool weather.

The best tank average I have seen is Nash's at 48.0 indicated.

I think a 50 MPG tank (indicated) is achievable!

Many of my trips were over 50 MPG. My commute is an hour long at 40 miles each way. About half freeway and half arterial traffic.
Details, amigo, details!?! Are you commuting downtown?

Old 04-03-2007, 06:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

For those from the area, my commute is from Arlington Heights to LaFox (SW of Geneva). IL-53 to I-90, I-90 West to Randall, and about a half-hour South on Randall.

I drive the speed limit (in the right lane of course) for most of the trip. On Randall I do my best to time the lights. That is the hard part. Way too many shopping malls and poorly timed lights...

Fortunately most of my trip is a reverse commute so I don't have to battle traffic. Although bumper-to-bumper traffic can really help your fuel economy!

Many of my trips were in the low 50 MPG range. The best was a 62.2 MPG trip from Downers Grove to LaFox. 20 miles down Roosevelt Road driving around 35-45 MPH.

The tank I posted was filled over the weekend. So far this week I'm at 163 miles and an indicated average of 49.6 MPG. My trips were: 46.4, 55.0, 49.5 and 51.7 MPG on the way home tonight. I'm really worried about the wind tomorrow and the cold.

Hopefully this wasn't too much detail!

Old 04-03-2007, 07:16 PM
Enthusiast

A 50 mpg tank can be done but it's really tough. I just had a 710 mile tank that displayed 49.9 mpg (48.5 hand calculated). I could have seen 50mpg but chickened out and filled up. I just didn't believe the display.

Old 04-03-2007, 07:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

Great to hear that someone has essentially gotten there!

Your overall average is very good. Could you fill me in as to where are you located, and what kind of driving conditions you do? The cold weather here in Chicago killed my winter averages!

I have come to trust my tank capacity and MPG display. Others had mentioned putting in more gas than I had ever put in. That gave me the confidence to push the "E".

As you can see by the picture I'm a bit below the E. My range was about -37 miles when I filled up. The most I have ever put in was 15.7 gallons. I was getting a bit worried at that point. My worry is that Toyota is depending on a 2-3 gallon slush factor to allow them use a non-replaceable fuel filter. (I need to look this up in the service manual).

Quick Reply: 700 Mile tank!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands