Accelerating in EMode

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 09:01 PM
Enthusiast
Question Accelerating in EMode

Is there a way to mod the timing required that is calculated when you are in EMode and attempt to accelerate? (either by an addon or by the dealer)

For instance, when sitting at a stop light and in Emode and the light turns green; I can take off and get up to speed (while keeping it in Emode) only if I am VERY VERY careful with the acceleration. It is a very slow going process and obviously not practical if you are driving in reg traffic. You would be impeding other drivers and I don't want to do that.

It just seems that its TOO sensitive and switches to the ICE far too easily.

Same problem if I am at 40MPH and switch over to EMode. If slowed down a bit for various reasons and I attempt to bring myself back up to 40-42MPH speed, if I don't do it ever so carefully, the ICE switches on even if I am sitting on a full charge.

Seems like such a waste of much improved MPG.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:25 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Accelerating in EMode

If you search around on youtube, or see my e-mode post, it's really better to accelerate up to 40-41mph and let off the gas and get right back on it...and the car will drop into e-mode quite easily. However, any grade or incline and the ICE does tend to come back on to help out.

Lately I've set my cruise at about 40-41mph and let the computer do all the work and it's in e-mode quite a bit more than I would normally be doing it all myself.

Welcome, I've had my 2007 for a month or such now and love it.

-Mike

Old 06-16-2011, 09:45 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks Mike for the helpful input!

I have already watched your videos. Seeing it in action has helped me to more easily make it switch down to Emode.

I just wish the pressure to keep it from switching over to ICE wasn't so sensitive. I'm sure its that way for a reason, but I have read other posts from Hybrid (non TCH) owners that say theirs is a bit easier to keep in EMode.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:50 AM
Enthusiast

I agree. I just got my TCH 2 weeks ago so I guess I am still learning and thought it was a learning thing. Turns out it's just really sensitive. I just read that article that says its better to accelerate fast then throttle off rather than going slow to get to speed, it takes longer to get there and so it ends up a wash.

I will have to check out these videos and see if it helps me any. thanks for sharing.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

No prob guys, in the videos all I did was reenact stuff I saw on youtube when I was scouring the net for camry hybrid info.

I do feel it's better to hit 40 and let of and get right back on vs trying to accelerate in e-mode exclusively.

I will also say this. Once you learn how to ease in the pedal you will be able to gain speed in e-mode as well.

I have *never* yet got from 0-40 in e-mode...not once.

Lastly, what I do---as in the video is sort of a pulse in glide. Instead of how I currently drive (with the cruise), I pulse and glide...meaning I accelerate to 40, let off, hit the gas to enable e-mode and then keep it in e-mode however I will lose speed because I'm not able to maintain the speed or I'm going up a slight incline.

So I'll 'glide' back down to 30-25mph ish and then back up to 40. I only do this on back roads or when there is NO traffic.

-Mike

Old 06-16-2011, 07:51 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

i had her to 40 from halt in Emode.

matter of fact, i found yesterday that i can go UP A HILL in Emode. i'd have never ever expected this from this car.

jett is probably talking about pulse driving. personally, i do not believe it is worth doing it. don't get in fight with me, i simply have my opinion, based on gut feeling.

try driving barefooted or with barefoot running shoe on.

btw, considering that that gas pedal is nothing but a potentiometer, they might as well have had a **** to accelerate. you can do much finer adjustment with fingers, than with toes.

i need to add something to line one. not only managed i to took off in full Emode but, also, drive across entire Supermall here in Auburn, get out of it, and pull into arterial. it was hot sunny day though and TCH was quite warmed up. this car is freakishly SENSITIVE TO TEMPERATURE.

Last edited by ukrkoz; 06-16-2011 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

All I was saying is that it's difficult to maintain a steady pace in e-mode sometimes so in order to keep the car in e-mode I let it decelerate.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:39 AM
Enthusiast

I have had the same issue with my Hybrid vehicle. I brought it into the dealership, and had it fixed. These hybrid vehicles require you to take your car to the dealership and spend extra money because of it being electric. These cars were supposed to save us money!

Mypartsgarage

Old 06-17-2011, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by mypartsgarage
i have had the same issue with my hybrid vehicle. I brought it into the dealership, and had it fixed. These hybrid vehicles require you to take your car to the dealership and spend extra money because of it being electric. These cars were supposed to save us money!

mypartsgarage

what????????????

Old 06-17-2011, 08:19 AM

Pulse & glide overview

Pulse and glide works like this: let's say you're on a road where you want to go 60 km/h. Instead of driving along at a steady 60, you instead accelerate to 70 (that's the pulse), and then coast in neutral with the engine off down to 50 (that's the glide). That's it. Rinse and repeat. And repeat. And repeat...

yes, i do same technique with mine, on long "flat" (ain't none here in Pacific NW) backroads. i'll accelerate her up to 41 and let go off the gas pedal. give or take few seconds, she drops right down into Emode. btw, that's called "pulse", with following short glide. if i am lucky to be on a decline, i let her glide as far as decline goes then try to accelerate in emode only if possible.

this is a modified pulse and glide technique. hypermiling, you simply stay in glide mode much longer.

unless i am on decline though, she very quickly decelerates in emode. 40mph does not provide enough momentum and inertia to carry her through any meaningful distance and overcome resistances. it's different story at fwy speeds, but then emode is not available. though i was told that when mpgmeter sits flat at 60mpg, while you gliding at say 65mph, engine takes no gas, i want to see that black on white from a document. she can go long distances in glide, with engine apparently engaged. if engine is engaged and coupled with MG2, there's no way engine will NOT slow down the car noticeably, unless it's somehow matching HSD rpms, or trannie drops into neutral or something. enigma.

Quick Reply: Accelerating in EMode

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands