Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Adding Factory Nav, WITH energy screens into Canadian (or U.S.) Camry (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/adding-factory-nav-energy-screens-into-canadian-u-s-camry-15155/)

Dang 09-03-2007 10:06 PM

Adding Factory Nav, WITH energy screens into Canadian (or U.S.) Camry

Gang....

So, finally got a Nav into a Canadian Camry with the energy screens working. Pics below.

Many Many thanks to JHSmith from this forum for providing the critical part information, and to Rosner Toyota of Fredericksburg who got me the correct Nav unit.

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/dangold/energy1.jpg
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/dangold/energy2.jpg

The good news:
It's actually pretty easy to install. It only requires 3 more wires compared to the non-hybrid Nav system, 2 CAN buss wires, and an ignition sense wire. The CAN wires are located right behind the Nav, and the ignition sense wire is behind the trim on the left where the mirror controls are.
It does everything the one they install from the factory does, no exceptions.

The bad news:
If you already have a Nav unit, you are screwed. They are different units.
As per JHSmith and confirmed by me:

Non-Hybrid Unit
Lower left of face: E7012
Part Number: 86120-06390

Hybrid Unit:
Lower left of face: E7011
Part Number: 86120-33A30

It would appear the CAN module required to get the information for the energy screens is not even in the Non-Hybrid units.

Part two of the bad news is the price. Currently the only source I know of for these is the dealer, and as you can imagine, it's not the cheapest thing in the world buying one of these from a dealer.

But, at least I can confirm it is possible to do. Once again, big thanks to JHSmith!

If anyone wants more info on connecting it up, or converting from the radio to either hybrid or non-hybrid Nav, PM me and I can send you some info.

Later!

Dang

Tideland Prius 09-03-2007 11:59 PM

Re: Adding Factory Nav, WITH energy screens into Canadian (or U.S.) Camry

omg you're a genius!!!!!

I definitely would prefer L/100km over MPG.

Deegee 09-04-2007 05:50 AM

Awesome! Thanks for figuring this out and posting the excellent information.

I hope to do this in the not too distant future...but am currently afraid to call the dealer for a price quote for the unit. :omg:

rmorrow 09-08-2007 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dang (Post 141555)
Part two of the bad news is the price. Currently the only source I know of for these is the dealer, and as you can imagine, it's not the cheapest thing in the world buying one of these from a dealer.

If you don't mind, can you share what you wound up paying?

Tideland Prius 09-08-2007 09:36 PM

too much >.<. Just come up with some ridiculous number and you're probably close ;).

Oh and it's the same as a replacement cost for a Prius screen. I'll let him break the news to you.

Dang 09-08-2007 11:29 PM

In Canadian, you get very little change back from a $4k bill. :omg:

This unit has me curious:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...spagenameZWDVW

It says it's from a Camry Hybrid. The part number does not match with the non-hybrid or hybrid numbers I got, but the face apparently does say E7011, which is the hybrid unit.

The previous unit he had up (which was the same) sold for $1,325.67 U.S. or about $1,400 Cdn, which is a pretty good price. The non-matching part number is a bit of a concern, but the E7011 is promising. I sent a note to the seller to see if it worked out OK for them.

By the way, if any one is interested, I have a whack of info on installing these units I can send in e-mail form. (too much to post). PM me if you are interested.

Thanks!

Dan

ptung07 09-28-2008 11:07 AM

dang, I sent you a PM! Thank you!!

bakjor 07-02-2010 10:57 AM

Hey Dang
I am interested in learning more about this installation process.
My car is Camry hybrid 2009, non NAV, with JBL. I have an E 7011 factory unit but nothing else, ie I am not sure what other pieces are need, like gps receiver, antenna, cables, ...etc
Would you please share your experience with me on this matter
Thanks

Dang 07-02-2010 11:31 AM

PM sent!

I have some pictures, PDFs, etc. for anyone interested.

Thanks!

Dang

Mr B 07-02-2010 12:36 PM

Hey Dang, would you perhaps share some info with me as well? I have a 2010 Camry hybrid with the JBL system and no NAV. Thanks in advance if you do!

wcarstonb 07-19-2010 08:51 AM

Hey Dang
I have a Camry hybrid 2008, non NAV, with JBL. Would you please share your experience
Thanks

Tambeng 04-08-2011 12:40 AM

Me too Dang, can you share more information on it?

I have a 2010 Camry Hybrid with JBL.

Thank you

Dang 04-08-2011 09:44 PM

E-mail sent!

Cheers!

Dang

wilson1 05-08-2011 11:08 PM

Dang, can you send me info too for a 2011 base Camry Hybrid!

Thanks!

ewew5087 05-09-2011 06:03 PM

Dang,

I have a 2010 Camry hybrid with the JBL system and no NAV. Can you share your info please? :)

Thanks.

EW

jetttstream 06-01-2011 05:16 PM

THANKS for sending the info!

-Mike

Trini 06-01-2011 10:03 PM

Dang, could you help me out with the (2) two part numbers that is in the info you sent me about a year or two ago?When I tryed to get the mic connector and the Aux & steering Sw W/H parts the dealer here in LA said the part numbers were not good.... If you can get them I will pay what ever they cost PLUS...Let me know..Thanks Robert D.

Dang 06-02-2011 10:58 PM

Robert D...

Let me look into it.

Cheers!

Dang

Trini 06-05-2011 01:20 PM

Thanks a million,It's be awhile since we last emailed each other.I finally got round to installing the unit.....I tried to find the parts way back then but had no luck... Again THANKS :):):)

jetttstream 06-07-2011 05:55 PM

Here is what I'm wondering. Can I hook up an ipod setup (control ipod with radio) and backup camera during the install?

-Mike

edit:

This would be an awesome addition as well!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h18IR...eature=related

jetttstream 06-08-2011 07:17 AM

Has anyone else completed this task?

Also, do we need the GPS antenna as well?

08663-00340

jetttstream 06-08-2011 07:46 AM

Okay guys, my E7011 is on order!

I will be doing a supplemental write up to add to Dan's fantastic contribution.

I will also be installing:

Costal tech lockpick
Backup camera
pac UPAC toy1 ipod interface

The mic adapter US part number is 90980-12404, I will report more US updates as we go along!

-Mike

jetttstream 06-15-2011 05:19 AM

Let me know if you want me to start my own thread.

Anyhow I have

+Steering wheel Y-harness (on order from Canada) ~$45
+Mic connector (on order from Canada) ~$ <10
+5-pin harness on order from ebay seller (Michigan seller) $15
+E7011 from 2007 camry hybrid www.car-parts.com $$$$depends on condition$$$$
+uPac-Toy1 (for iPod connectivity) $110 (I have an extra one of these if anyone wants it $110 shipped)

Also--note that I asked the salvage place to send me a radio harness--which they did and I got a bunch of the small pins that will be needed to easily hook up the energy screens data from the nav to the CAN info.

+lockpick 2 (ordered off eBay - cheaper than costal's site) ~$237
+camera BEC-106 (eclipse) (eBay ~$86)

I know that this build could be cheaper with an Avic or even the aftermarket stock-looking nav's, but I want the stock nav with the energy screens. When I get bored of the screens I'll upgrade to a pioneer or such or go back to stock 6-disc JBL.

Stay tuned, if I get everything in I will be doing the install this coming weekend.

-Mike

jetttstream 06-17-2011 05:00 AM

5-pin harness (ebay seller toyolexnavspec), lockpick 2, BEC-106 camera, and the mysterious steering wheel y-harness and mic connector HAVE arrived (these two from canada).

I am now only waiting on my GPS antenna!

One note---if you were to install a lockpick 2 and couldn't locate a 5-pin harness, you could spice the wires into the lockpick T-connector...just an fyi. I like 'plug and play' setups.

I'd like to thank Guelph Toyota for shipping me the harness and mic connector from Ontario over to Michigan!!

samroi19 06-22-2011 03:09 PM

Hello Dan,

I have got E7011 Navigation unit from ebay.

I have it installed on my Toyota Camry 2007 XLE at Toyota dealer, but they were unable to get AUX and MIC working.

Whats needs to be done?

Regards,
Sandeep

jetttstream 06-23-2011 03:54 AM

What they neglected to hook up was the CAN data. There are 3 wires that still need to be run. I'm going to be finishing my install this weekend and I might have left over pins.

I'll take a bunch of pictures so you can take them to the dealership to finish up the install.

-Mike

jetttstream 06-23-2011 03:56 AM

Oh wait---you don't have a hybrid?

If you are in the states you need the aux and steering wheel harness as well as the mic connector...I ordered mine from canada.

Dan will send you and email with the info.

What I was talking about in my previous post was for the 'energy screens'...my bad.

jetttstream 06-27-2011 04:11 PM

I followed Dan's directions and successfully have the energy/consumption screens running.

Thanks!

Trini 07-08-2011 09:25 PM

jetttstream,what is the part number for the aux and steering wheel harness?That's all I need to finish my install.Thanks Robert:D

jetttstream 07-09-2011 06:28 AM

Hello Trini,

I ordered both from a Toyota dealership in Canada.

C0069-33010-W2 AUX & STEERING

C0069-33010-W3 MIC CONNECTOR

Both worked 100%

BobbyR6 02-25-2013 10:34 AM

Does anyone know if the only differences in the E7011 and E7012 part numbers is the energy screen info? I have seen the part number 86120-33A30 and 86120-06460 that say they are the same unit, but the 06460 has E7012 on the faceplate. I would like to add the OEM nav to my non-nav TCH, but I don't really care if that function works or not. I would like for the other stuff (bluetooth and SW controls to work). I have compared the nav and non-nav electrical diagrams and it appears they are mostly the same. Just curious....

Thanks..

Ron AKA 02-26-2013 08:40 AM

A curiosity question. Why would one want the Toyota factory Navigation? From what I understand only the dealer can update the maps. New maps are available only once a year and cost $170 each time you update.

For that price you can buy a Garmin that has free lifetime updates four times a year. You update it yourself without having to take it to a dealer. And you can move it from vehicle to vehicle including vehicles you may rent. Favorite locations only have to be entered once.

BobbyR6 02-27-2013 06:21 AM

According to the Toyota sales folks, this can be updated with a DVD and can be done by you. At least that is what they told me when I looked at a car that had nav installed. I specifically asked that question. You can pick these updates online for usually less than 50.00. I do have a portable unit that I do use. The in dash units are bigger and easier to see and also have voice guidance that comes through the audio system. I am getting older and can't see/hear like I used to. I didn't have any issues seeing the factory installed unit.

Dang 02-27-2013 09:56 PM

Hi BobbyR6....

I've had both models in a hybrid and they work fine.

I'm pretty sure the hybrid version would work in your non-hybrid car. I had that for a while as it took me a bit to figure out which wires to do the hybrid part, so was effectively connected up as if it weren't in a hybrid.

You'd just have that one energy menu that won't show you anything.

....I actually still have my "non-hybrid" nav system around here somewhere.

.....and yes, you can update the maps just by putting in a new DVD that you can get from any dealer, or frankly from other sources.....if you know what I mean.

The integration with the car is great.

Cheers!

Dan

BobbyR6 02-28-2013 05:35 AM

Thanks Dan. I kind of figured that was the case. I do have a hybrid, but don't really care about the energy screen being on the nav unit. Did your car that you put both of these in have nav from the factory? I am assuming that it didn't and you added it?

It appears all of the wiring is the same with the exception of the mic and aux wiring. Do you remember if you had to change those?

I think the IGN, CAN H, CAN L, and the speed and reverse were what are missing on the ones that didn't come with nav.

Thanks again for the info.

Dang 02-28-2013 09:01 PM

Hi BobbyR6......

In Canada you couldn't order a navigation system (at least at the time). It was a "dealer installed option", but they only installed the non-hybrid version. There was a kit from the Canadian dealers to do this.

For the hybrid nav vs. non-hybrid nav the only difference is the CAN H, CAN L and IGN wires, but you are right. There are a few wires to move if you are going from the standard radio to a nav, and a different adapter to order for the aux and steering wheel harness.

Actually, I still have the "dealer" instructions on how to change from the normal radio to the nav which lists exactly what to do. I will send in a private PM.

Cheers!

Dan

InjunJoe 01-14-2014 02:49 PM

Hi Dan,my name is Joe from Surrey.I am exchanging my radio for a 7024 nav unit for my 2010 tch and I am having problems finding where that black and white wire go[CAN] I can't see anywhere they go.Could you please help me?Joe

Dang 01-14-2014 10:46 PM

Hi Joe....

I'm away from home, but when I'm back on Thursday I'll dig up some pictures to send you.

Cheers!

Dan

InjunJoe 01-14-2014 11:43 PM

Thanks

lonewolf41 04-03-2014 07:41 PM

Doing the same upgrade (2011 JBL to JBL w/nav [E7024]) I think I have everything figured out but would appreciate any relevant documents. My biggest question is where to get the CAN signals from. Looks like behind the combination meter might be the best. Also, where to get the IG wire.

Thanks.