Amazing TCH mileage (how I broke 50mpg)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 04:51 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Amazing TCH mileage (how I broke 50mpg)

Originally Posted by tmshybrid
I believe you're driving in non typical conditions. Here in Atlanta it's hilly and you have serious stop and go driving. The best we have done so far is 35.6. I believe you can reach numbers in the forties if the roads are relatively flat and you go a long distance between stops.

"Typical" is merely a state of mind. Nash may have an OK route for FE, but the car won't do the work by itself. It's all about learning your vehicle's strengths and weaknesses and using them to your advantage in the energy management game. With HSD that's a lot of strengths upon which to capitalize! The biggest hurdle is the first step, which is realizing that the way most folks drive isn't necessarily the way we ought to where FE and safety are a concern.

Congrats nash! Remember that a great tank is just a string of great segments.

Old 08-18-2006, 05:05 AM
WVGasGuy

Here in Atlanta it's hilly and you have serious stop and go driving. The best we have done so far is 35.6. I believe you can reach numbers in the forties if the roads are relatively flat and you go a long distance between stops.

Hummm, I never really considered Atlanta "hilly" but then again I'm a real hillbilly. The city part of your drive may hurt you but the "hilly" part is not that big of a killer. I achieve trips in the 42+ mark all the time (and average 38.7) in the hills of WV. For every up there is a down. Typically when I'm going up, I can use the extra hp to charge the battery and then coasting down charge it even more and then by the time I get to town I have a "green" charge on my battery. I've found rolling hills are good for obtaining a full charge, (again, which in turn is useful when you do get in town.)

Old 08-18-2006, 09:41 AM
Active Enthusiast
Question Re: Amazing TCH mileage (how I broke 50mpg)

Originally Posted by WVGasGuy
[I] the time I get to town I have a "green" charge on my battery.
Green charge? Have I seen this? Are you talking about the screen with the wheel, battery and engine? I don't think I have seen that yet. I can get the battery up to the -+ line but does it go higher than that?

Old 08-18-2006, 10:25 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by belbe
Green charge? Have I seen this? Are you talking about the screen with the wheel, battery and engine? I don't think I have seen that yet. I can get the battery up to the -+ line but does it go higher than that?
I've had the battery up to the top - I posted a picture of it in the TCH Share section of GreenHybrid. I only see it if I'm coasting/lightly braking for a long distance (about a mile or so)

FYI, my mileage on this tank is holding to my amazement. I arrived at work this morning with 144 miles on the tank, and the Tank Average displaying 51.0mpg!

Old 08-18-2006, 10:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

It goes to almost full with a tiny line short and the blue turns to grean. I have never seen it completly full though !!!!

Old 08-18-2006, 10:46 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by jagbagri
It goes to almost full with a tiny line short and the blue turns to grean. I have never seen it completly full though !!!!
Consider that a good thing. The TCH always wants some extra unused capacity to stash regenerated energy.
J

Old 08-18-2006, 11:24 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by schmidtj
Consider that a good thing. The TCH always wants some extra unused capacity to stash regenerated energy.
J
Otherwise it spills out on the road?

Nash, thanks for the link to the pix...I haven't seen it yet, then I have put less than 100 miles on my car and it is just short trips around town.

Old 08-18-2006, 12:22 PM
WVGasGuy

I don't watch this screen often but I believe I saw the smaller top line glows a darker green when the battery charge was at max (on the NAV Energy screen)

Old 08-18-2006, 12:38 PM
Enthusiast

It sounds like an oxymoron, but just like someone had posted, the best mileage I've gotten is during moderate traffic when you're just coasting along in the high 20 mph zone without much stopping.

Going along at highway speeds, I have yet to top 37 mpg , which is the EPA rating for highway.

Old 08-18-2006, 01:42 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Amazing TCH mileage (how I broke 50mpg)

Nash... air on, or air off?

Quick Reply: Amazing TCH mileage (how I broke 50mpg)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands