Annoying Plus "+" Signs on Nav Screen - Remove Them?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 10:26 AM
Enthusiast
Default Annoying Plus "+" Signs on Nav Screen - Remove Them?

As I travel in already conjested city centers, my TCH Nav unit is totally cluttered with the small plus "+" signs (like the **** pop-ups on the web) making it impossible to see the streets or street names.

For over a thousand dollars, I didn't buy a "Yellow Pages" Nav unit. They don't appear to be POI's that are user selectable (read REMOVABLE). How can these be turned off or even deleted as they are of no use to me or most other TCH owners, I'm sure?

Thank goodness I keep my TomTom in the car. I'm finding I use it more often than the TCH Nav unit. Once I get close to my destination, I "suspend" the TCH Nav and power up my TomTom to get me where I'm going. Betcha Toyota thinks they are avoiding a law suit should I become involved in an accident using my TomTom instead of their Nav -- think again Toyota!!! It's YOUR fault that I have to use another device instead of the installed Nav unit.

I like the larger screen on the TCH Nav, but that's about it. Come on Toyota, catch up with the world of PND's and fix your Nav system and upper-level managements thinking (or lack thereof) and make a so-so Nav system top of the line.

Last edited by ManchesterUnited; 10-13-2007 at 12:49 PM.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:33 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Annoying Plus "+" Signs on Nav Screen - Remove Them?

All you have to do is press the button on the steering wheel to activiate the voice recognition and say "Hide All Icons". This will clear the icons from your screen and make viewing the street names easier

Old 10-13-2007, 01:42 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks, that worked.

I went through the manual a couple of times and somehow missed anything referring to the "+" symbols.

One small plus regained.

Old 10-14-2007, 05:55 PM
Active Enthusiast
Thumbs down Re: Annoying Plus "+" Signs on Nav Screen - Remove Them?

Originally Posted by ManchesterUnited
Betcha Toyota thinks they are avoiding a law suit should I become involved in an accident using my TomTom instead of their Nav -- think again Toyota!!! It's YOUR fault that I have to use another device instead of the installed Nav unit.
How in the world did you function before GPS and Nav systems??? Reminds me of a recent episode of "The Office" where Michael and Dwight drive into a lake because Michael's GPS shows that he should.

Good Luck!

Scott

Old 10-14-2007, 06:17 PM
Enthusiast

Actually as an avid geography fan - just fine.

However, the PND's are a neat toy and have learned they they help in finding the sortest (fastest) way to get from A to B. Besides, I can never get a paper map refolded.

All I'm saying is that in a crunch, the Toyota Nav is about 50% usable in rural areas. Those are where I travel mostly and the TomTom gets me to those places that I have never been and need to find -- fast. You know, guys NEVER stop for directions.