Another one bites the dust

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 09:08 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Another one bites the dust

2007 Camry just went through the front wall of a suburban Philly laundromat. To be fair, the driver was 68 years old. which isn't the same as 88, for sure, but it is something to perhaps consider. In a statement, the driver did blame uncommanded acceleration as the cause.

Cops found the floor mat on top of the accelerator, but they believe it shifted there due to the force of the crash.

Interesting... there is a large, forward moment during a crash that can shove everything forward. The floor buckets are sloped upward. Could it be that finding floor mats on top of pedals is fairly common during a crash?

Old 01-28-2010, 09:10 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Another one bites the dust

Hey, look at it this way, you blame UI and chances are you can be lead plaintiff on a massive class ac.... (oh, silly me, that'd never happen, would it?)

Old 01-28-2010, 02:53 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by McGyver
2007 Camry just went through the front wall of a suburban Philly laundromat.

Cops found the floor mat on top of the accelerator, but they believe it shifted there due to the force of the crash.
I find this odd. My 07 has the driver floor mat secured by two quite sturdy clips. Call me a skeptic, but I think it quite unlikely that the mat would slide forward in a parking lot crash.

Also noteworthy is this bit about the Camry's driver:
When asked if she thought the gas pedal got stuck, driver Hodges told Eyewitness News: "Probably. And I can't remember if I had my foot on the gas pedal … the brake or the gas, I can't remember."

Old 01-30-2010, 07:53 PM
HSD Organic Interface

Lots of people manage to put their vehicle of all different makes and models into store front windows on a regular basis. 90% never make the news. There apparently seems to be something going on with certain Toyotas in some very rare cases, but for the vast majority the simplest solution is the correct one, driver error.

A recent favorite Internet video that happened in my neck of the woods recently, a woman was parking her nice BMW SUV and from security cam footage shows her slowly pulling into a parking spot, and then suddenly accelerates her SUV right up on top of the car in front of her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OmUNIkOovE

I'm sure there are plenty others on youtube, and I've seen my share of smashed and dented store fronts over the years...