Any San Diego dealers carry 0-20w?? Ridiculous!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 08:41 PM
Enthusiast
Default Any San Diego dealers carry 0-20w?? Ridiculous!

I had an unfortunate experience at Kearny Mesa Toyota today. I went for my first oil change and when I asked for 0-20, the lady gave me an odd look at went to check. She came back and told me that they hadn't heard of 0-20w before and would have to special order it! (At 11 dollars a quart, btw.) What?!!? How long have they been selling hybrids, and they didn't even know the proper oil?? Then she said it was only needed in cold conditions. BS, I want the fuel economy!! I said fine, just give me the 5-20w then. They don't have that either!! Just 5-30. I informed them that if they don't have the proper oil, they don't have my business. I left and went and bought 5-20 synthetic and a filter from Kragen. Precison auto tune was very nice and did the oil change with my stuff for only 10 bucks labor. Anyone else run into this kind of problem? Also, the precision guy said my front brakes were squeaking. Is this normal with the hybrid braking system? Only 5000 miles on the car.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:22 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Any San Diego dealers carry 0-20w?? Ridiculous!

The brakes squeaking aren't uncommon and as per this thread appear to be covered by a 'silent' recall.

Buy the oil online?

I don't know much about oil, but have been reading online and it seems that the 0W is better suited for the colder climates. Since it is thinner, wont you be sacrificing long term protection of your engine?
My car has 2500 miles, so I haven't brought it in yet, but I'll probably look for a place that has 0W going into the winter months and 5W going into the warmer months. Again, I'm not an expert, but just a guy whose been doing some online reading. (Engine Oil Bible and this thread)

Last edited by haroldo; 02-03-2008 at 02:58 AM.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by wes878
I had an unfortunate experience at Kearny Mesa Toyota today. I went for my first oil change and when I asked for 0-20, the lady gave me an odd look at went to check. She came back and told me that they hadn't heard of 0-20w before and would have to special order it! (At 11 dollars a quart, btw.) What?!!? How long have they been selling hybrids, and they didn't even know the proper oil?? Then she said it was only needed in cold conditions. BS, I want the fuel economy!! I said fine, just give me the 5-20w then. They don't have that either!! Just 5-30. I informed them that if they don't have the proper oil, they don't have my business. I left and went and bought 5-20 synthetic and a filter from Kragen. Precison auto tune was very nice and did the oil change with my stuff for only 10 bucks labor. Anyone else run into this kind of problem? Also, the precision guy said my front brakes were squeaking. Is this normal with the hybrid braking system? Only 5000 miles on the car.
I have no idea why that toyota dealer did not have the 5w-20 in stock. I'm almost sure thats the weight I used in my 2003 Corolla. For sure the toyota hybrids use the 5w-20 and optional 0w-20 synthetic oils. It's written on the oil cap. Good move on going to synthetic. I think you will notice the engine is quieter and may start easier and the first cold crank up. I say that thinking you may back out of the garage the engine smoothly starts.

You might try other toyota dealers to find the 0w-20 oil. I don't know if I would let that dealer work on my car. After all they don't even carry the right oils for these newer cars.

Last edited by rburt07; 02-03-2008 at 03:33 AM.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:08 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I had the same problem when i had my first oil change back in December of last year. When i asked the service rep. if they had 0W-20 he told me he thought all they had was 5W-20 but he would check. They did in fact only have 5W-20 and that is what they used. I have found it on Amsoil's website for like $5-6 a quart. I have a service contract so i will let the dealer handle the oil changes until 45,000. Then i will buy the 0W-20 and change it myself. I think the 0W-20 is so new that they must not have enough of it in supply. I think in the summer 5W-20 is probably the better choice since it is a bit heavier.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:11 AM

First number in oil description like 5 in 5W-20 is viscosity when cold, so it only makes difference for the first few minutes before the engine warms out, otherwise at engine temperature 5W-20 and 0W-20 are pretty much the same. FYI 5W-20 was first used as factory oil in some 2001 year model Ford and Honda cars (Accord) so this type of oil is around for a while, even if TCH was the first Toyota car using it.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:21 AM

You can allways go to a Honda Dealer for your oil change! They will have the 0-20 WT. You can allways buy the oil at Honda, at least. H

Old 02-03-2008, 11:05 AM
Owner
Smile Re: Any San Diego dealers carry 0-20w?? Ridiculous!

Haroldo,
Thanks for the link to Auto Barn
I live in Northwestern Montana and NONE of the auto parts stores her in Kalispell now carry the Mobil 1 0W-20 oil. Neither does Wal-Mart.
The Honda dealer doesn't have it and all the Toyota dealer has is the Toyota 0W-20 synthetic which I am a little leery of .
I have the Mobil 1 0W-20 in my TCH (I was able to find it here last summer) but it's due for a change.
It's good to know I can find the oil at Auto Barn when I need it.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:03 PM
SPL

The Toyota service department can order in the Toyota brand 0W-20 synthetic oil for you. It comes in 1-quart bottles. I ordered a case of these when I was visiting Indiana a year ago, and brought them back to Canada. The cost was less than US$5.00 per quart. So this is what I suggest you do.

Look at the top of page PP-15 (attached) from the TCH Repair Manual. They say (quote); "SAE 5W-20 and SAE 0W-20 engine oil may be used. However, SAE 0W-20 is the best choice for good fuel economy and good starting in cold weather." I'm using 0W-20 year round.

Stan

Attached Files
File Type: pdf

Last edited by SPL; 02-05-2008 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:22 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SPL
The Toyota service department can order in the Toyota brand 0W-20 synthetic oil for you. It comes in 1-quart bottles. I ordered a case of these when I was visiting Indiana a year ago, and brought them back to Canada. The cost was less than US$5.00 per quart. So this is what I suggest you do.

Look at the top of page PP-15 (attached) from the TCH Repair Manual. They say (quote); "SAE 5W-20 and SAE 0W-20 engine oil may be used. However, SAE 0W-20 is the best choice for good fuel economy and good starting in cold weather." I'm using 0W-20 year round.

Stan
Yeah, they said they could order it for me. AT 11 DOLLARS A QUART!! I told them to take a hike.....

Old 02-05-2008, 09:47 PM
Enthusiast

Hehe... you are lucky at least you can order them at $11 a quart. When i first ask for that, they have the same reply and say I never heard of 0W-20. I ask them if they can order them and i will pay whatever they want to charge, they say they can't. I was very surprise and then I decided to order Amsoil oil and have them deliver straight to my home. Less hassle and less problem.

6 months now i am using my hyrid with amsoil synthetic. No complains runs fine during the coldest winter so far and has no problem starting my car when my neighbour has problem with his new Civic. Even my old 1998 Civic which i drive once in a while starts up easily and increase my FE.

Quick Reply: Any San Diego dealers carry 0-20w?? Ridiculous!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands