Auto Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 05:02 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Auto Headlights

I am used to driving GM vehicles, where the automatic daytime running lights are such that it is difficult if not almost impossible to turn them off when it is dark out. On a few occasions where I wanted to turn the lights out at night, such as to see Christmas decorations at a display in the park, I gave up after trying to find the instructions in the owners manual.

However, the first time I got my TCH and went out at night, I freaked out because it took me a few blocks to realize my lights weren't on and I didn't know it at first. I was VERY SURPRISED that with an accidental flick of the wrist one can disable the automatic lights feature of the TCH and not even be aware of it. And yet the car beeps at you forever if you don't have your seat belt on.

And today I was rolling down the interstate in heavy rain after dusk, and around me comes a newer Toyota Avalon, with the driver blissfully unaware that she had no lights on. I flashed my brights, and flicked my lights on and off several times in her rearview window, and she ignored me, perhaps dismissing me as some sort of road rage lunatic.

She got off the interstate and made several left turns, amazingly never getting in a collision.

Personally, I question this design by Toyota. It seems too easy to accidentally turn the lights off and not know it. Fortunately, my TCH has nav, so when the lights are off the display screen is really bright. Otherwise, the only indicator is a small icon in the dash that indicates the headlights are on or off.

Does anybody else think this is bad design?

Old 11-12-2007, 06:14 PM
Beyond AM. Beyond FM.
Default Re: Auto Headlights

No, not really. With this design you have always on, auto with DRL on, or DRL off. I need to go to the dealer and have them set the auto headlights to be more sensitive, but I like the overall design. Others would surely complain about not being able to turn the DRLs off. Make something idiot-proof, we'll get a better idiot first.

And my DRLs both work a year later. Six of 10 GM vehicles I see on the road have a DRL burned out.

Last edited by jay_man2; 11-12-2007 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:24 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I think the auto-headlight feature is great. The light sensitivity might need to be adjusted for some but i like the fact that i can turn the DRL's off if i want to.

Old 11-12-2007, 06:55 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I like the headlight features. You can turn them off completely when you want, have it on auto, or control it yourself. This is the way it should be IMHO. I don't see why a car should force you to run the lights all the time (op mentioned the desire to turn them off).

This is like the floor mat issue -- however did we survive in the past without all the these "protections"?

My past vehicle, a Ford Ranger, I sometimes drove off forgetting to turn the lights on in a very well lit area where headlights would be useless anyhow. It wasn't the end of the world.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:01 AM
Enthusiast deluxe

I think the Toyota autolight feature is pretty well designed in my opinion. Having owned several Cadillac with "twilight sentinel" (GM's auto lamp) and a Lincoln with the autolamp system... Toyota's design is far superior. I set it to auto the day I got it, and have never looked or thought about my headlights since. They respond immediatly to light changes (unlike my Cadillacs, which had a terrible delay) and as worked flawlessly. I will say it was an easy adjustment, since my last car (a Volvo) effectivel had no headlight switch (all lights stayed on all the time). Believe me, once you set it, and forget it you will wonder how you ever lived without it. If your system is slow to respond, make sure there is nothing blocking the dashtop sensor (like a state registration or inspection sticker).

Old 11-13-2007, 08:49 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

mmhmm. The AUTO headlights are great! Although in the US, you get DRL OFF, AUTO, *, Full headlights (obviously I can't make that symbol on a keyboard).

In Canada, it's OFF, *, full headlights, AUTO.

So even if we accidentally flick it towards us, it's still in full headlights. The problem arises if we wanted just the parking lights and forget that only the DRLs are running when night falls (cause the interior lighting would be on and the nav in night mode).

Old 11-13-2007, 12:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have issues with the design myself.

It is driving me batty the way I keep turning them off by habit with a flick of the wrist.

I don't have the hang of them yet!

Old 11-13-2007, 01:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

Just takes some getting used to.

The new GM cars make it hard to drive at night with the headlights accidentally off. It's easy to do by mistake with a Toyota. I wonder how many accidents have been caused because Toyota drivers THOUGHT they had their lights on but really didn't.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:31 PM
Enthusiast deluxe

Man, regardless of the car, headlights are SO so SO important. Take is from a motorcyclist... our headlights are the key to survival both day nad night

Old 11-14-2007, 05:50 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I bought my TCH in June. As soon as I saw the Auto setting on the stalk, that's where I put it. I have never had to touch it since. It works flawlessly; I couldn't be more pleased with it, or most of the other features this car comes with.

Quick Reply: Auto Headlights

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands