Autolocking doors

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 08:25 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Autolocking doors

Today when I went to lunch I had my passenger open her door while the car was still in gear; she was able to open it just fine with no 'yelling' from the car. I have mine set to lock when put into gear and unlock when putting into park. Perhaps mine is just more tolerant? I haven't had enough passengers in the back seat to see if there is a difference there or not.

Old 10-10-2006, 03:52 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by belbe
Today when I went to lunch I had my passenger open her door while the car was still in gear; she was able to open it just fine with no 'yelling' from the car. I have mine set to lock when put into gear and unlock when putting into park. Perhaps mine is just more tolerant? I haven't had enough passengers in the back seat to see if there is a difference there or not.
What happens when you open the DRIVERS door when not in Park? Mine squawks to high heaven.

Old 10-10-2006, 06:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by schmidtj
What happens when you open the DRIVERS door when not in Park? Mine squawks to high heaven.
Well, I guess I haven't tried that and I can understand why the car would complain if you opened your door without putting the car in park...that would be a serious safety issue! But you should be able to let a passenger out without putting it in park!

Old 10-10-2006, 11:12 AM
Active Enthusiast

Barb,

I agree completely.

I read the manual and found there is no way to disable this feature; you can only change when it activates (out of Park or speed). I guess I'll just have to remember to unlock the doors...

Old 10-10-2006, 11:35 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by klynch
Barb,

I agree completely.

I read the manual and found there is no way to disable this feature; you can only change when it activates (out of Park or speed). I guess I'll just have to remember to unlock the doors...
NOT TRUE! I adjusted the behavior of mine, per the instructions int he manual. It is very confusing the way it is written. It was a very simple once I figured it out. Don't remember, and don't hav the manual here now. There are choices that toggle on or off the various options..

perhaps re-reading it again will help, if not, let me know, and I will get the manual out tonight and try to help you with the instructions.

Old 10-10-2006, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by jbollt
NOT TRUE! I adjusted the behavior of mine, per the instructions int he manual. It is very confusing the way it is written. It was a very simple once I figured it out. Don't remember, and don't hav the manual here now. There are choices that toggle on or off the various options..

perhaps re-reading it again will help, if not, let me know, and I will get the manual out tonight and try to help you with the instructions.
I looked through the owner's manual and I also only came across the instructions to have it lock/unlock based upon the shift position or vehicle speed.

Old 10-10-2006, 02:18 PM

It is very confusing, and there may be many combinations available. I have mine set not to auto lock either with shift position or vehicle speed. ...meaning, of course, that it doesn't have to auto unlock

On page 43, left side of page, it describes how to:

select automatic locking with shift position.

1. Close all doors and set "POWER" switch to "ON"

2. Shift selector lever to the "P" position

3. Within 10 seconds of turning the "POWER" switch on, press and hold the driver's side power door lock switch in the lock position for 5 seconds and then release.

The doors will be locked and unlocked to indicate that the function is set.

At the botton of this column, it states: "to cancel the function, do the above operation again" (this would mean it would NOT auto-lock with regards to shift position)

second column on pg 43 tells how to:

select locking linked with vehicle speed.

1. Close all doors and set "POWER" switch to "ON"

2. Shift selector lever from "P" to the "N" position.

3. Within 10 seconds of turning the "POWER" switch on, press and hold the driver's side power door lock switch in the lock position for 5 seconds and then release.

The doors will be locked and unlocked to indicate that the function is set.

At the botton of this column, it states: "to cancel the function, do the above operation again" (this would mean it would NOT auto-lock with regards to with vehicle speed)

I hope this helps.

EDIT: OK, maybe I misread your concerns.....it seems that you can't have it auto unlock with anything other than with shift position or power switch, if you have the auto locking set to ON, via either method. I have mine set NOT to auto lock, so the auto -unlock is not an issue.

Last edited by jbollt; 10-10-2006 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

The drivers side door does let you know if you open the door without the car being in Park.
It's a nice feature, but I wouldn't mind being able to turn it off. (smiling)

Byron

Old 10-10-2006, 06:16 PM
Active Enthusiast
Cool Autolocking doors (Update)

The following website has demonstrations of many features of the TCH including programming the door locks

http://www.toyotaiguide.com/content/07Camry/iGuide.htm

After the intro (which can be skipped) go to

Keys & Doors/Door Locks/Program Auto Door Locking

(This shows the options)

Keys & Doors/Smart Key/Remote Keyless Entry Functions/Programing Door Locking

(This shows how to do the programming)

Last edited by Paulgw; 10-11-2006 at 04:12 AM. Reason: omission
Old 10-10-2006, 06:42 PM

Jbolt,

Thanks for the info. I read the same thing and was thinking it was toggling between different autolocks. It's actually two seperate functions that can be enabled or disabled.

I'll have to disable it. Absolutely hate it.

Quick Reply: Autolocking doors

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands