Back up camera non-NAV

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 04:37 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Back up camera non-NAV

Originally Posted by rmorrow
How about this: http://www.twice.com/article/CA6530963.html?nid=3189

Here's the relevant excerpt: "Also new from Roadmaster is a GPS/backup camera combination. As a portable navigation device (PND), the unit has a 3.5-inch screen with built-in maps of the full United States and Canada and 11 million points of interest. When the driver puts the car in reverse, the PND automatically goes into backup camera mode. It comes with a camera that mounts on the license plate and will ship in July at a suggested $399. Both the Auto-Cam and GPS/backup camera are part of Roadmaster's VR3 line, which is sold to stores including Wal-Mart, Target and Pep Boys. "
nice find!!

Old 03-19-2008, 11:32 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have the $98 VR3 camera from Walmart. I forget the screen size. I would guess about 2 1/2". It had great color. The camera used a fish eye lens. I mounted it on the license plate per the instructions. The put tv monitor on the center area of the dash for easy view. All went well till a two day rain. The camera got moisture in it. I drove the car in dry but cold weather for a few days. That did not help. I took it off to let it dry off. That was a good while back.

I may remount it. I'm thinking inside the rear window might work. Being wireless other than the 12 volt connection. It might cause interference on the car radio now that the antenna is integrated in the rear window. Could be this camera I bought has a seal that leaks.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Tideland Prius
nice find!!
I have to credit Google for that one.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:15 AM

I am very interested in getting a combo unit (I hate putting the TCH in reverse). If anyone learns more about this unit (if and when it is available) or any other that serves the dual purpose, I'd really appreciate any info on it.
Thanks!

Old 04-07-2008, 06:51 AM
Enthusiast

Nextar makes a 4.3" GPS touch screen with back up camera; model I4 BC. Amazon has it for ~$290: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013HXZY2

Don

Old 04-07-2008, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by dkaiser
Nextar makes a 4.3" GPS touch screen with back up camera; model I4 BC. Amazon has it for ~$290: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013HXZY2

Don
Great find, thanks!
Not sure, but the camera doesn't mention BlueTooth, thus wiring would be needed. Not terribly averse to wires, but if I could avoid them, I would. Anyone know anything about this manufacturer. I've heard of Garmin, TomTom, etc., but never Nextar.
Thanks!

Old 04-07-2008, 07:10 AM
Enthusiast

No it's not BT.

The manufacturer site plus their manuals are at http://www.nextar.com/frontend/prodd...BC&co=10000312.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:25 AM
Active Enthusiast
Talking Re: Back up camera non-NAV

Originally Posted by haroldo
Great find, thanks!
Not sure, but the camera doesn't mention BlueTooth, thus wiring would be needed. Not terribly averse to wires, but if I could avoid them, I would. Anyone know anything about this manufacturer. I've heard of Garmin, TomTom, etc., but never Nextar.
Thanks!
What about killing many birds with one stone? Throw in XM to the mix and you can get the following:

http://shopoffers.xmradio.com/detail...08417&dpid=778

Includes XM, GPS, Portable Media Player, MP3s and a mount for attaching a backup camera as well. Wires would be required, however, only up to the mount - the unit itself is removable. Just have it professionally installed and it'd be the perfect stalking stuffer.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:07 PM

Thanks...but I mainly listen to sports talk radio (WFAN) most of the time. No need for the MP3s since I have the AUX jack hookup if my daughter's are traveling with their iPods.
Do you know if the camera is tied in with shifting in reverse.

BTW, was that a typo?
Originally Posted by OmegaOmega
...Just have it professionally installed and it'd be the perfect stalking stuffer