Best Place For XM Antenna

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 02:59 PM
Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Best Place For XM Antenna

Hello Everyone, I just got my TCH last week, this is my first post, and unfortunately I did not find this forum in time before I tinted my Windows in the car. Day before the Windows Tinting I had Toyota OEM XM receiver and Antenna installed to a factory standards, I drove car In LA area and reception of my XM programs was just fine, next day I vent to the reputable TINT shop in LA and had them Installed NO METALL film that I paid $50 more for film because they told me it will not interfere with my XM antenna reception and with factory installed Remote Start on my 50th anniversary Camry. The remote start does not affected by tint but XM reception definitely bad. I'm going Tuesday to the Tint shop, they have made some mistake with installation, I will have them remove rear tint and I will drive with out film and see how the reception will be. I'm sure it is the film, but why do they say it will not interfere with the signal? I will keep you posted on this. I have Perl Blizzard White I do not want put black antenna on the roof or trunk lid. I really liked the Idea of not having internal antenna, my previous car was Infiniti FX 35 and I hate it the external antenna. Tim

Old 04-27-2007, 06:20 PM
Led-footed HyBrid geek
Default Re: Best Place For XM Antenna

The tint installers may have been referring to the FM/AM antenna embedded in the rear window. Film does not effect those because the film is on the inside.
I had great reception before my tint. I have great reception again now that I've moved the antenna outside.
Have you considered painting the antenna pearl and moving it outside?

Old 04-27-2007, 06:28 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks wilsons66604 for your input, I was thinking about that, but then I don’t know if the paint will affect the antenna? I'm thinking right now that I may put it on the rear window near the roof; with black tint it will be almost unnoticeable. I would like to hear more ideas with this thread, before I make a change. Tim

Old 05-13-2007, 02:14 PM
Enthusiast

Here is what I KNOW! The tint film does affect factory Installed XM antenna that is located inside of the car on the deck near the 3rd stop light. Let me be clear on one thing, XM service signal varies from city to city. First I installed Film by Johnsons Films called Greystone, supposedly the film was non metallic, my XM stop working the same day completely, I waited 7 days and after all bubbles and water was gone signal returned, but not 100% it was getting many fading, specially in Santa Barbara, I installed my Tint in Los Angeles, I vent back and they give me offer I could not reject, they removed my film and put the product they just received from Johnsons called Insulatir Ceramic, this film not just look good, but it does magic: first the engine remote start works a lot farther then with Old film, XM worked from the first minute I started the car, in Los Angelos signal is Great no fading, but. I will have to move antenna to outside somewhere because in Santa Barbara I still have 95% but I like 100%
Conclusion, Insulir is Great New Film with Lifetime Warranty it will run you about $500 installed comparing Graystone $240.
I'm Glad I did it.
The BEST PLACE FOR ANTENNA IS OUTSIDE.

Old 05-13-2007, 02:59 PM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

Originally Posted by timohapi
Here is what I KNOW! The tint film does affect factory Installed XM antenna that is located inside of the car on the deck near the 3rd stop light. Let me be clear on one thing, XM service signal varies from city to city. First I installed Film by Johnsons Films called Greystone, supposedly the film was non metallic, my XM stop working the same day completely, I waited 7 days and after all bubbles and water was gone signal returned, but not 100% it was getting many fading, specially in Santa Barbara, I installed my Tint in Los Angeles, I vent back and they give me offer I could not reject, they removed my film and put the product they just received from Johnsons called Insulatir Ceramic, this film not just look good, but it does magic: first the engine remote start works a lot farther then with Old film, XM worked from the first minute I started the car, in Los Angelos signal is Great no fading, but. I will have to move antenna to outside somewhere because in Santa Barbara I still have 95% but I like 100%
Conclusion, Insulir is Great New Film with Lifetime Warranty it will run you about $500 installed comparing Graystone $240.
I'm Glad I did it.
The BEST PLACE FOR ANTENNA IS OUTSIDE.
I agree. My reception was getting bettter as the tint "cured" but it was still not good enough. I moved my antenna outside and am very happy with it now.

Old 05-13-2007, 05:01 PM
Enthusiast

Folks,

No tint here (not even a TCH, for what that's worth -- I've got an XLE), but I sure like my XM antenna location -- absolutely, totally hidden! Check it out:

Note that the "black bumps" you see on the rear parcel shelf are the hooks and the "grab tag" for the XLE's rear window shade -- "that's not the XM antenna."

I had my favorite local independent car stereo shop install the Terk aftermarket system, and they installed the antenna under the plastic parcel shelf cover -- on the steel shelf below it. There's just no way that anyone can tell that I've got XM in the car, and that suits me just fine!

So far, it has worked just fine -- my previous car was a current-generation Honda Accord, with the "satellite antenna bump" on the roof. And, I really can't say that reception has been any worse in the Camry at all -- it has been virtually "just as good as the roof-mounted antenna" reception was.

"Works for me!"

Old 05-14-2007, 05:48 AM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

I tried my antenna inside the trunk under the shelf but did not get reception.

Old 05-14-2007, 05:58 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wilsons66604
I tried my antenna inside the trunk under the shelf but did not get reception.
To clarify my installation: Not "in the trunk" -- the antenna should "see through plastic" and "see through glass," but it won't "see through metal." So, mine is under the very rearmost edge of the rear window glass.

Old 05-15-2007, 06:35 AM
Enthusiast

Right now I have my portable XM antenna on the roof of my TCH, but I don't like the look of it there. I have metallic tint on my rear windows, so I gather I should not try placing it in the back window. Has anyone placed their antenna inside the front windshield? Thanks.

Old 05-20-2007, 03:27 PM
Enthusiast
Question Re: Best Place For XM Antenna

I'm still hopping I can come across someone who can tell me that they can get better signal without taking the antenna outside.
Few days ago I found how to increase Bluetooth microphone volume.
I also try from XMRADIO.com sending fresh signal, it still fades in the same 10-15 places here in Santa Barbara, LA is great.

Quick Reply: Best Place For XM Antenna

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands