View Poll Results: Do you get better gas mileage while using cruise control rather than manually?
Yes
51.35%
No
48.65%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Better MPG with Cruise Control?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 08:59 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Better MPG with Cruise Control?

Yeah I pretty much always use it on highways (at highway speeds anyway) because I have to assume the cruise control is capable of some more fine-degree control over feeding the minimum needed to maintain speed, while I or probably most drivers might tend to be even a little heavier on the pedal than needed for negligible difference in speed. But I agree that on significant hills or other unusual conditions (like from one light near work where it goes uphill around a curve on a fairly narrow densely wooded stretch) where it tries to accelerate too much (especially when I can do it myself at least part of the way in EV mode!).

But there have been others who were strong proponents of using cruise control pretty much all the time, at any viable speed. I don't use it when I can use EV mode and (I think) get better FE by my own determination of when to coast or push in EV, when to pump the accelerator to get a bit more speed and/or charge, or when (in some circumstances) to shift to cruise just to let the car charge up a bit because I've been running in EV too much. I do think it does a decent job at that in cruise, but for maintaining overall FE numbers I prefer cruise on the highway and totally manual for most suburban driving.