Blue and Green battery symbol

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 11:25 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Blue and Green battery symbol

Originally Posted by ag4ever
I have gotten as much as 17.846 gallons in the tank before, but for some reason I really could not get more than 17.777 in this time. I also did not really try that hard to fill the neck full. I just went to the next dollar after it clicked off, I might have even skipped the first even dollar and gone to the second.

This morning, I added a full gallon after the nossle hit the auto stop. (I only put in 16.433 gallons. Man, I still had 60 miles till I was empty!)
lol

Old 01-29-2008, 07:38 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I know its not the appropriate thread, but the current conversation causes me to mention this, my biggest complaint with the TCH: The overly pessimistic fuel gauge! Even though I know I have many miles to go, even after driving for a while with the gauge below empty, I still usually only put in 14.5 gallons!!! The gauge and low fuel light are obvioulsy desgined for the gas only Camrys...possible both 4 cyl and V6! Why couldn't they calibrate this one for thr Hybrids economy?

OK, off my soap box, I love my TCH!

Last edited by jbollt; 01-29-2008 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:05 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jbollt
I know its not the appropriate thread, but the current conversation causes me to mention this, my biggest complaint with the TCH: The overly pessimistic fuel gauge! Even though I know I have many miles to go, even after driving for a while with the gauge below empty, I still usually only put in 14.5 gallons!!! The gauge and low fuel light are obvioulsy degined for the gas only Camrys...possible both 4 cyl and V6! Why couldn't they calibrate theis one for thr Hybrids economy?

Watch your step! (just kidding)

Good point.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jbollt
I know its not the appropriate thread, but the current conversation causes me to mention this, my biggest complaint with the TCH: The overly pessimistic fuel gauge! Even though I know I have many miles to go, even after driving for a while with the gauge below empty, I still usually only put in 14.5 gallons!!! The gauge and low fuel light are obvioulsy desgined for the gas only Camrys...possible both 4 cyl and V6! Why couldn't they calibrate this one for thr Hybrids economy?

I have seen some discussions on this issue point to the fact that the fuel pump is within the gassoline area, which keeps it cooler. If you run so low that you are out, the fuel does not cool the fuel pump, so it will fail sooner. I have no idea if this is true or not.

Old 02-16-2008, 01:29 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
Try a little harder and you will get a nice royal purple...I feel like I might have seen a red as well.I think the operating range of that scale is something like 40% - 80% of total battery capacity. There is a thread around here somewhere....there might be something in the FAQ about this as well.

Hi there, tonight coming home from work in my 3 week old 08 TCH I was stuck in a 4 mile back up. As I creped along my the Consumption Display show continuous 60 MPH for minute after minute, running on the battery. The ICE rarely came on...this was over a period of time 12-15 minutes. When I switch to the Energy Monitor screen, it show the battery nearly depleted and showing one purple bar. By the time I noted this I motivated past the accident and got up to highway speed. The battery stared charging.

Anyway getting to my point. If I had continue to run at such slow speed this would the ICE have started to recharge the battery? This draining of the battery is a bit worrisome. Is this normal? I'd hate to got dead on the road.

Thanks

Don

Old 02-16-2008, 07:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Acyducy
Hi there, tonight coming home from work in my 3 week old 08 TCH I was stuck in a 4 mile back up. As I creped along my the Consumption Display show continuous 60 miles per hour for minute after minute, running on the battery. The ICE rarely came on...this was over a period of time 12-15 minutes. When I switch to the Energy Monitor screen, it show the battery nearly depleted and showing one purple bar. By the time I noted this I motivated past the accident and got up to highway speed. The battery stared charging.

Anyway getting to my point. If I had continue to run at such slow speed this would the ICE have started to recharge the battery? This draining of the battery is a bit worrisome. Is this normal? I'd hate to got dead on the road.

Thanks

Don
I think the ICE should have started way before the bars reached the condition you described. I would question my dealer about this. JMHO.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:13 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by acco20
I think the ICE should have started way before the bars reached the condition you described. I would question my dealer about this. JMHO.
The charge cycling happens in one of I believe 4 modes. Think of it as 'exercise' for the battery. Every few weeks, in traffic like what was described here, my gauge will fall to 1 bar and kinda stay there for up to a couple hours. By the next day it looks normal again.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Acyducy
Hi there, tonight coming home from work in my 3 week old 08 TCH I was stuck in a 4 mile back up. As I creped along my the Consumption Display show continuous 60 miles per hour for minute after minute, running on the battery. The ICE rarely came on...this was over a period of time 12-15 minutes. When I switch to the Energy Monitor screen, it show the battery nearly depleted and showing one purple bar. By the time I noted this I motivated past the accident and got up to highway speed. The battery stared charging.

Thanks

Don
As far as "is this normal?" -- Given the scenario you presented, the answer is "yes". It is completely normal.

You said that that you noticed that the ICE cycled on and off several times while you were in the traffic jam. The cycling was probably either because it needed to warm the coolant/engine back up or, more likely, recharge the traction battery -- you just weren't looking at the ENERGY screen to see the power level.

That being said, I agree that it is a bit disconcerting to see a one line purple battery icon. Even though I KNOW that everything is OK, it still gets my heart racing and increases the pucker factor when it happens.

Now one item mention, in the case of traffic like this where you are stopped, DO NOT put the car in Neutral! The TCH (or Prius) will not charge while in Neutral.

Oh, yes, I HOPE the indication you were getting while in stop-and-go traffic was 60 miles per GALLON not miles per HOUR.

And, BTW, welcome to GreenHybrid and the TCH family. Enjoy the ride.

Old 02-16-2008, 01:19 PM
Enthusiast
Post Re: Blue and Green battery symbol

Thanks for the come back and yea...60 MPG. I was only wish'n I was doing 60 MPH.

Don