"Breaking in" a new TCH... what to do? how long?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 10:48 AM
Dazed and Confused
Default Re: "Breaking in" a new TCH... what to do? how long?

Some engines need the rings on the pistons set by higher cylinder pressures exerted when under moderate acceration. This means giving it 3/4 throtle from about 10 MPH. I don't think the modern tight tolerance engines need this. And almost all auto mfgs are using tight tolerances. That is why just about all cars use 5W20 oil now a days.

My boat which has a chevy 350 in it required moderatly heavy acceleration, don't stay at one speed, and run fast for a few seconds, then slow down and vary speed, then repeat for the first 5 hours of operation.

Old 11-14-2006, 04:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

We drove ours from Chicago to Florida when we picked it up. First 7 miles (with 9 on the odometer at delivery) were in city stop and go and the rest was interestate. We alternated between 60, 65, and 70 most of the time with changes every 15 minutes or so. Also took advantage of exits every 100 miles or so to get back into traffic mode.

As with most machinery, the first few hours are probably most critical. No full throttle operation. Also, the brakes need to be gently applied on any vehicle for several stops so everything seats properly.

I basicly broke in my 92 Toyota pickup this way (only a 100 mile trip home) and it now has 378,000 miles on it and I still have the original rear brakes.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:51 AM
Enthusiast

Still babying it for the 'break in' period, but I have a couple of questions ('09 TCH - 1st tank of gas - 5.8L/100km/40.6 mpg s0 far!):

Is it better to accelerate quickly (not gunning it per se) off the line (ICE mostly) in traffic which 'demands' it, get up to about 60 km/h /40mph,then let off the accelerator for a millisecond and go into EV mode?

Or is gentle acceleration the way to go for better fuel efficiency (with the ICE running and traffic making it almost impossible to get up to speed in EV only)?

Sometimes when a pickup or SUV is on my tail I have to punch it a bit so I don't **** anyone off...

I have read many threads about this, and, for me, the jury is still out...I appreciate your opinions...I do alot of coasting to stops, and gentle acceleration right now (traffic permitting) trying to maximize my EV driving.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:12 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

You'll likely resurrect a 100+ post discussion on this topic (in another thread).
Drive as you feel comfortable...the pennies that you will spend one way or the other wont matter.
You'll only save enough to buy a latte once every few months.
Enjoy the Camry, it's a car...it's only a car!

Old 05-29-2008, 11:05 AM
Enthusiast

You're absolutely correct! A car is a car is a car, etc. - hybrids, however, are a fantastic and innovative technology, and once the PHEVs are finally (?) here, then we may all be able to reduce our carbon footprint just a bit - the more we learn about it, the better we are off, I think (we did pay a premium for this technology afterall)...still love to read about the tech. and tricks, nonetheless...a bit repetitive for those who've been posting since 2006, but we newbies can't get ENOUGH info. about these great cars...just a car...I remember...

Old 05-29-2008, 11:28 AM
Driving in stealth mode

Don't listen to Haraldo....he thinks he's some financial guru. You'd think he traded stocks or something!!!

Old 05-29-2008, 11:30 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by coolshock1
Don't listen to Haraldo
I agree!!

Old 05-29-2008, 04:31 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Break-in for most new cars is the same. For the first 500 miles no full throttle acceleration and no speeding over 65-70mph. As for varying engine speed.......that will happen by itself....you can't go the same speed all the time......without some seriously dangerous moves!!! use common sense..........it will serve you well.

Old 06-20-2008, 04:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

Years ago you found as many people who were told to "baby" their cars during the break-in period as people who were told the opposite. I still remember how the owner's manual of one of my previous cars recommended "brief periods of full-throttle acceleration up to the legal limit" in order to help the break-in.

Of course, on those cars too, I also change the oil after about 1,000 miles to get rid of all the little extra pieces of metal that would have been worn off during the break-in period (since manufacturing tolerances weren't as tight).

I always took my new cars and drove them relatively hard at first, figuring if something's going to break I wanted it to break immediately. I never did that with my new '09 TCH. From the first test-drive (took it home overnight to get the wife's approval before signing on the dotted line), that MPG number in the MFD has been an obsession.