buzzy front speakers

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 06:29 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: buzzy front speakers

To all of you getting the buzzz...

Is the buzz occurring when you are using the cigarette lighter charger for an ipod (or any other aux sound device)?

If so, there is a another thread about this. Apparently you can buy a filter for the problem. Something to do with a ground loop. I get a buzz when I use my ipod with the car charger. The buzz goes away when you disconnect the charger.

Old 07-24-2006, 12:41 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

OK let me clear up what I hear and what I have done. First buzz was proabbly the wrong term, it is more of a crackling staticy sound. It sounds liek some frequencies are being over driven to distortion, particularly the highs. It shows up easily on Sirius becasue it seem the Sirus tuner realy has a high level input, I find that the volume is substantially higer on Sirus than AM/FM or CD. Any talk radio or songs with strong mid to high voclas sounds like it is breaking up. I am pretty sure I can here it to some degree on other inputs so I am thinking the preamps are flaky and the Sirius is the input that can drive them past their limit. The real question is going to be is this in the head unit or the amp. My understanding is the AMP is under the passengers seat, not sure if all the JBL is there or strictly the output amp. If there are preamps and such in a seperate head unit in the dash then I suspect the problme may be there since the problem is more visible with higher level inputs, if it were the output amps I woudl expect to be able to reproduce the bug easily from any input as long as the output level were reached that casued the problem. It seems to be more in the left channel and fronts than the right or rears, but it is noticibale in all channels on Sirisu if you fade/balance to a particular location. Can't wait to deal with the Toyota jerks on this one, most repair tech and service managers are proabbly tone deaf!

Old 07-24-2006, 10:48 PM
Enthusiast

I hear a faint crackling/distortion type noise occasionally from my right front speaker. It happens listening to some CDs. seems to be limited to some higher frequencies. I definitely do not hear it all the time. No one else who has ridden in the car has noticed it. I think I am pretty sensitive to various squeaks, rattles, etc.

Old 08-31-2006, 11:18 AM
Enthusiast

Mine has a buzz in the front left speaker by the windshield. The buzz only happens when the fan is on. There is a separate audio circuit for the navigation and phone that only uses the front left speaker. I talked to one of the electrical engineers at work about this problem and they said is would be easy for the electric fan motor to induce noise into this audio circuit. They also said it should be easy to correct too. I'll be very upset if the dealer can't fix this problem when I take it in.

Old 08-31-2006, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Lindenberg22
Mine has a buzz in the front left speaker by the windshield. The buzz only happens when the fan is on. There is a separate audio circuit for the navigation and phone that only uses the front left speaker. I talked to one of the electrical engineers at work about this problem and they said is would be easy for the electric fan motor to induce noise into this audio circuit. They also said it should be easy to correct too. I'll be very upset if the dealer can't fix this problem when I take it in.
Sure the buzz is the speaker, that dumb plasmacluster thing makes a low buzzy sound whee it is in use and comes form the drivers vent. Wish there was a way to turn that off.

Old 08-31-2006, 03:22 PM
Enthusiast

My right front speaker buzzes - I posted about it a few weeks ago. Sounds like another factory glitch.

Old 09-01-2006, 07:58 AM

Well Toyota got this jumper they mentioend and it fixed the staticy Sirus radio! Cool, only took 5 weeks and 2 attempts! Now if thye woudl get my free 9 months striaghtened out!! There was no part number for it as it came from Sirius.

Old 11-22-2006, 06:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

Well, I just picked up my brand new TCH yesterday and noticed the same static glitch in the front speaker. My son was in the front seat and noticed it first and then you could definitely hear it every so often. We were just using the radio and tried various channels and heard it in several of them. It's an annoying crackling/static sound.

I decided to come on here and do a search on "stereo speaker" to see if others had this problem...and found this thread...

It's disappointing to find a problem on the very first drive home from the dealership...and not looking forward to having them try and fix this...but other than that we love our new TCH.

rick

Old 12-26-2006, 01:31 PM
Enthusiast

I have had a TCH since late October and I definitely also hear some "crackly" sounds when using the radio (not on CDs). It is not any kind of FM static that I have ever heard. Anybody else experiencing this?

Old 12-26-2006, 08:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have not analyzed the car thoroughly, but the FM antenna can't be that great. My system rocks in all uses except FM, but I will pay more attention to it now.