Camry have insulated coolant tank like the Prius?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 08:06 AM
Dazed and Confused
Default Re: Camry have insulated coolant tank like the Prius?

More pressure means less vapor can be produced.

Hence LPG. It is a liquid only because it is under great pressure.

Only two things will determine if a gas turns to liquid, 1. pressure, and 2 temperature.

Space is irrelevant.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:13 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I didn't say anything about not turning to gas by changing space. I said the vapor pressure of a liquid--the pressure of the gas form of _that_ substance over the liquid form of that stubstance--is constant based on temperature and pressure of that gas and only that gas. But it takes more of a gas to achieve the same pressure in a greater volume. One atmosphere of gas in a 12 oz bottle is a hell of a lot less gas than one atmosphere in a room.

And as stated, it's all partial pressures. More Nitrogen pressure doesn't affect the pressure of gasoline vapor. LNG is liquid because it's under pressure. But it's not pressurized by adding a lot of air, it's pressurized by compressing it until it achieves liquid state.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

Sorry guys. I thought the TCH pressurized the tank to reduce gasoline fumes. It doesn't.

I read the service manual. There is a pressure sensor that is used to make sure the system is airtight, but it doesn't appear to keep a positive pressure on the tank.

A charcoal filter is used to trap the fumes. The canister then feeds the fumes into the engine air intake to burn them off. Between "recycling" the fumes and keeping the system airtight, evaporative emissions are kept to "zero".

Sorry about my mistake.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by n8kwx
Sorry guys. I thought the TCH pressurized the tank to reduce gasoline fumes. It doesn't.

I read the service manual. There is a pressure sensor that is used to make sure the system is airtight, but it doesn't appear to keep a positive pressure on the tank.

A charcoal filter is used to trap the fumes. The canister then feeds the fumes into the engine air intake to burn them off. Between "recycling" the fumes and keeping the system airtight, evaporative emissions are kept to "zero".

Sorry about my mistake.
good to know how it works. Thanks!

Old 09-07-2008, 08:59 PM
The Regenerator

Courtesy Note: This Is A Revived "Thread From The Dead"

I brought this one back because I think it's a good lead-in to my question. Having done the searches here, and on other sites, and looked over the info in TIS, I'm satisfied that the TCH has no hot coolant storage tank (a/k/a the "thermos"), as does the Prius. In my Prius, I used to be amazed at how quickly the coolant temp would rise after start (observed via CAN-View III). Obviously, getting to op temp as quickly as possible is a huge contributor to good fuel economy.

So why does the TCH not get the feature? There's plenty of room, apparently, but no thermos. I still love the car, but remain puzzled at this omission.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:16 PM

So, does anyone think that there is a retrofit or DIY or aftermarket solution ?

Old 09-08-2008, 09:31 AM
The Regenerator

Originally Posted by Smilin' Jack
So, does anyone think that there is a retrofit or DIY or aftermarket solution ?
Mechanically, I doubt it would be that difficult. My concern would be the "automotive neurosurgery" involved. The thermos in the Prius, and its operational parameters are very obviously programmed into the ECU. Most obvious observable example is, for example, on a very short trip where the ICE never really warms up, you'll hear the car NOT filling the thermos upon shutdown. OTOH, you can't hear the hot coolant being ported to the engine after start, but I suspect the ECU does not command coolant pumping if the thermos contents aren't hot enough to justify the operation. Knowing the complexity of this system, I'm sure there are other parameters I can only guess at.

How you'd account for these and integrate them effectively into the TCH's "thought process" is totally beyond my capability or comprehension (hey, I'm a lawyer, albeit a good one I think, but I'm sure I totally suck as a "pretend engineer"...).

Old 09-08-2008, 11:45 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

I remember the first (and last) time my former Prius gushed a quart of gas on the pavement after a fill-up. Whatever evaporative controls where in the car were totally negated with that one spill probably negated over the life of the car. I am so glad my current TCH has no bladder. No bladder = no inadvertent spillage.