Camry hybrid discontinued?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 02:16 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Camry hybrid discontinued?

My feeling after reading the page is that the author is INTERPRETING that incorrectly by ASSUMING that the TCH will be killed off.

Toyota has repeatedly said they "want to offer a hybrid option in their ENTIRE line of vehicles" so killing off the hybrid option in the Camry while offering it on other vehicles does not seem like something they will do.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by lars-ss
My feeling after reading the page is that the author is INTERPRETING that incorrectly by ASSUMING that the TCH will be killed off.

Toyota has repeatedly said they "want to offer a hybrid option in their ENTIRE line of vehicles" so killing off the hybrid option in the Camry while offering it on other vehicles does not seem like something they will do.
Not to mention why waste the R&D on a model you will kill in such a short time frame...

Old 05-11-2007, 10:10 PM
Active Enthusiast
Location: Two miles N of the technology 'center-of-the-world' in 1903, on the Outer Banks of NC

I think the writer's data might be correct but I also think the conclusion drawn is not correct. The TCH is a winner and may end up being as much as 25% of total Camry sales ( 10000 monthly ). It fit's so perfectly into the Camry lineup that I'd be shocked if they dropped it.

In addition to the HH there is the hybrid minivan which is expected here next. Now I can see an Estima hybrid being introduced as a Prius minivan. The Yaris-sized Prius makes perfect sense as well.

I don't think the writer took all the facts into consideration when concluding that the TCH would be dropped.

Anybody hear anything about a Tundra hybrid? GM's 2-mode to be introduced in the fall will really put them alone in this segment.

Old 05-12-2007, 08:44 AM
Veracitorian Muser

My reading of this article is that "Prius" is the code name for the hybrid strategy, and not the model name for each model that is part of that strategy. To have a Prius X and a Prius Y, etc. refers to how Toyota is going to cover all their bases in providing hybrids in the marketplace. The Camry Hybrid is just one of those Prius letter fillers, as is the actual Prius itself.

-- Alan

Old 05-12-2007, 09:40 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I read a news article many years ago that Cambell's Soup was going to get rid of cans and go with those juicebox-like laminated cartons. More than 10 years later, I still see cans on the shelves.

Old 05-12-2007, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by alan_in_tempe
My reading of this article is that "Prius" is the code name for the hybrid strategy, and not the model name for each model that is part of that strategy. To have a Prius X and a Prius Y, etc. refers to how Toyota is going to cover all their bases in providing hybrids in the marketplace. The Camry Hybrid is just one of those Prius letter fillers, as is the actual Prius itself.
That makes sense Alan. I just can't help wondering when Toyota will bring the Aygo to the US, and if they do, will they make a hybrid version?!! The European gas version of the Aygo gets:

Petrol / AYGO 3 & 5-door 1.0 VVT-i 5-speed Man & M/M
  • Urban: 56.5 mpg or 5.0 l/100 km
  • Extra-urban 68.9 mpg or 4.1 l/100 km
  • Combined: 61.4 mpg or 4.6 l/100 km
  • CO2 emissions: 109 g/km (2007 Toyota Prius 104 g/km !)
Just imagine what it would get with a HSD option!

Old 05-12-2007, 12:47 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lars-ss
A recent report...
http://www.autoindustry.co.uk/news/11-05-07_8
"By 2020, Mr Takimoto expected hybrids to become the standard drivetrain and account for "100 percent" of Toyota's vehicles."

Ken@Japan

Old 05-13-2007, 11:51 AM
MPG FANATIC WITH GUZZLERS

Wow,I would love to have a bigger Prius.I would readily trade 20% of the fuel economy for 10" more length,and maybe 4 inches more width.I-we-mainly my 21yo son-get 43 mpg in pure city-it would drop to 35 or so, but the hy might drop just 10% to 45mpg-we currently get 50-51 mpg at 65mph.
It would be the great mpg USA road trip vehicle that the HH isn't!
The current Prius is barely trip capable for us-2 adults, one oong legged dog,mtb,ice chest, lotta' stuff.
Hope it arrives soon.
Thanks,
Charlie