Camry Hybrid has lower MSRP - sort of......

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 03:18 AM
Along for the ride.....
Default Camry Hybrid has lower MSRP - sort of......

How to lower the price without actually lowering the price.

"As with the Prius, a lower base price on the Camry Hybrid is made possible by removing certain equipment that is then offered as options. For example, 16-inch alloy wheels are replaced by steel wheels with covers, and a JBL® audio system is replaced by a single-CD player with six speakers. The alloy wheels and JBL audio system are offered as options, as are a leather-covered steering wheel and shift ****, and EC mirror with compass. Two new optional equipment packages are being introduced for the '08 Camry Hybrid. The UP option, "Upgrade Package," including Homelink® and the other features mentioned above, has an MSRP of $1150; the UT option, "Upgrade Package with DVD Navigation," which has all the same features plus an electronic navigation system, has an MSRP of $2350."

Old 01-19-2008, 07:49 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Camry Hybrid has lower MSRP - sort of......

One thing I did recently in negotiations was to make sure the upgrade pkg w/navi and other options were given at invoice. It seems like a lot of dealers may be open to giving someone a vehicle price around or slightly above invoice, but will hammer you with full MSRP on the upgrade packages (especially these). I think this was huge in helping keep the price down as it seems like that package with the bundled options in it has a fairly substantial markup.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:20 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I have the base model and the only thing I wish it had was better lights inside IE lighted vanity mirrors and memory seats. Thats all folks. I don't care about sunroofs , leather or $$ nav systems. My Garmin gets me around just fine.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

Very old news -- 2008 prices were announced back in July. Once you add back in the options, the price is $150 higher. However it does mean a lower "admission price", which is a good thing.

The recently announced 2009 prices are higher again. This time nothing is removed.

The weakening dollar will keep the prices rising.